Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Words appearing in blue, so called Infolinks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:32 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

As many of you have probably noticed, some words on the forum are of the color blue, and when you click on it you are taken to another site, a search engine that has entered the word you just clicked on. These are so-called Infolinks, every time a member clicks on them, Freeforums gets a small sum since it's advertisement. I've seen similar things on other sites and forums and have never cared for them.

I have not gotten an email notification from the hosts, Freeforums.org, about this. I would have thought something so noticeable would have been announced at least a couple of days before it happened, but that is not the case. I've visited the support forum for Freeforums and we're not the only ones struck by this. Everyone who has experienced this are as annoyed by them as I am, but if there's a possibility to remove them or not has not been verified by anyone as of yet.

I'm hoping this is something temporary and not permanent. Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know what was happening. It's not a virus, it's not spam. Don't fear them, just don't click on them unless you really want or feel the need to.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. As soon as I hear of anything more regarding this issue, I will let you know.

Thanks for understanding :cowboy1:

Post subject: Re: Words appearing in blue, so called Infolinks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Quoting an admin on the support forum:

Quote:
Alright, thanks for the info everyone. I've passed this onto the engineers. We'll have these infolinks gone from your members as soon as we can.

Thank God. Hopefully it'll be taken care of sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:40 pm 
Prince Judah

I don't see those blue-colored word links this morning, so it looks like it has been taken care of. :applause:

This is nothing new for me, unfortunately; I've had similar experience at other forums and these links can be distracting, at the least. Ironically, I think these types of ads or ad strategy may work against itself because some forum members will get irritated to the point that they won't frequent the forums in order to avoid such links, and so such advertising fails.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:03 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Indeed, I've read some upset forum admins who even threatened to close down their forums because they saw no point in keeping it up, since they'd lose members over time because of it. These Infolinks can be even more annoying if they happen to appear on a topic title, because if you click on the word they highlight, it won't open, you'll be taken to the search engine instead. Think what that would do if you were going to read a topic with only one word in the title, like Counterpoint, to give an example.

I hope this is the first and last Infolinks incident this forum will have.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:53 am 
Prince Judah

I could be wrong but the blue-colored word link seems to be back - only it's singular. It looks like it's confined to only one word on a page now. Ironically, the word I see on this page as linked is "color" -- when you are describing these word links in your first post on this page. This looks like a sort of compromise that I've, again, encountered on other boards. When the complaints began, the number of ad links were reduced instead of being completely eliminated. It almost looks like the powers-that-be have sneaked this ad strategy back in here as only one word to a page, hoping no one would notice... :twisted: (however, it may only be visible to guests.. maybe the ads don't appear if one is logged on).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:23 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Dear God, I really hope it ain't so. I don't see a blue colored word at the moment. I'll look into this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:31 pm 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
Dear God, I really hope it ain't so. I don't see a blue colored word at the moment. I'll look into this.

Keep in mind, you probably won't see the blue-colored word if you're logged in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:01 pm 
Prince Judah

I should amend this thread since I now see several green-colored word links on a page - but only if I'm here as a guest. Once I log in, the word links disappear. Yes, they've changed color from blue to green. This seems to be another strategy by whomever places these links in, or another compromise, as the word links are only visible to guests. It also seems almost like a prompt for people to log in when they get here, but that's probably just a by-product of other intentions. In other words, the word links don't bother members who are logged in, but if you're a guest - they can bug you. I think this has happened before, so this whole thing may be a kind of cycle - returning every now-and-then.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:15 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

It can be harmful for the forum as far as possible members go. They may view the forum and decide not to join because they think these info-links will be present as logged in members as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:34 pm 
Prince Judah

Can't we make the matter clear somewhere on the homepage saying that it will not be a problem if one joins as a new member? That would settle the matter for those who intend to log in, at least.

I know this Man!