Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Call of the Wild
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:47 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Ken Annakin
Production year: 1972
Starring: Charlton Heston, Michéle Mercier, Raimund Harmstorf

Plot:

Government mail carriers Thornton and Pete Smith (Raimund Harmstorf) take mail and supplies across the brutal Yukon wilderness from Skagway to Dawson City during the 1898 Klondike gold rush. An intelligent German Shepherd, Buck is stolen from his beloved owner in California and sold to John as a sled dog, whose loyalty to his new master is tested when John tries his own hand at prospecting.

Post subject: Re: The Call of the Wild
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:53 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Is this movie as bad as Chuck himself said it was? In his autobiography In The Arena, he says that it's the worst movie he ever made. A lot of it had to do with the fact that the foreign investors brought in popular actors from their countries so that the movie would sell well in their market. Some of them didn't even know English that well.

In his book, Heston says that he had recently found out that the movie somehow had escaped into cable (it wasn't released once it was finished because of the mess it was), and asks the readers NOT to watch it, ending the sentence with "Please." :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:11 pm 
El Cid

Its terrible alright, but some of the scenery is terrific, so CALL OF THE WILD isn't a complete bust. The most disappointing aspect of the movie is the dubbing - its bloody awful!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:14 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Its terrible alright, but some of the scenery is terrific, so CALL OF THE WILD isn't a complete bust. The most disappointing aspect of the movie is the dubbing - its bloody awful!

Ah, it's dubbed as well? I must have forgotten that, or Heston didn't mention that. I hate it when movies are dubbed, doesn't help things if they're horrible dubbed either. I don't think I've ever seen a Heston movie that is downright bad, so watching this will be interesting, in a way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:26 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Actually CALL OF THE WILD was released all over the world back in the early 70's. I myself saw in a theater in Milwaukee, WI in 1974. It is a bit of a mess, but a very releasable mess for the time. I have no doubt the producing company made a tidy profit on it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:37 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

fendell wrote:
Actually CALL OF THE WILD was released all over the world back in the early 70's. I myself saw in a theater in Milwaukee, WI in 1974. It is a bit of a mess, but a very releasable mess for the time. I have no doubt the producing company made a tidy profit on it.

Interesting, did not know that, and reading his book it's as if he didn't know that either. Maybe it was a limited release and no promotion was needed of Chuck?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:27 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Here is a Italian poster for the movie.

Attachments:
call.jpg
call.jpg [ 16.6 KiB | Viewed 2401 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:27 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

and another one.

Attachments:
call2.jpg
call2.jpg [ 56.09 KiB | Viewed 2400 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:30 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Found this ad in the Milwaukee Journal circa 1976.

Attachments:
call.png
call.png [ 242.78 KiB | Viewed 2390 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Yugoslavian poster.

Attachments:
callyugo.png
callyugo.png [ 324.24 KiB | Viewed 2381 times ]