Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:28 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: The Ten Commandments
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:25 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Cecil B. DeMille
Production year: 1956
Starring: Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Anne Baxter

Plot:

To escape the edict of Egypt's Pharoah, Rameses I, condemning all first-born Hebrew males, the infant Moses is set adrift on the Nile in a reed basket. Saved by the pharaoh's daughter Bithiah, he is adopted by her and brought up in the court of her brother, Pharaoh Seti. Moses gains Seti's favor and the love of the throne princess Nefertiri, as well as the hatred of Seti's son, Rameses. When his Hebrew heritage is revealed, Moses is cast out of Egypt, and makes his way across the desert where he marries, has a son and is commanded by God to return to Egypt to free the Hebrews from slavery. In Egypt Moses's fiercest enemy proves to be not Rameses, but someone near to him who can 'harden his heart'.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: The Ten Commandments
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:27 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

NOTE: This thread will be used for general talk of the movie The Ten Commandments. If you have a specific topic you'd like to discuss, please start a new thread in this section.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:31 am 
Prince Judah

This was one of the big films I actually first saw in a theater, as a kid (one of the re-releases, around 1970) and the whole experience permanently warped my view of films and the universe. In fact, for a long time afterward, my view was that there was The Ten Commandments there occupying one part of the film universe and then there were all the other films ever made, grouped 'over there.' In one sense, that may still be true.

I wonder now whether my intense fear of tidal waves (tsunami) stemmed from, in part at least, the key scene in this one (we all know what I'm referring to, right ?). Can you imagine seeing that scene as a little kid on a huge screen..? :saywhat: :?: :o Talk about the Wrath of God... :saywhat:

My impressionable experience was in a normal theater.
Below, Charlton Heston parts the waters - in Salt Lake City, Utah drive-in (August, 1958):

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:34 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I love that picture, I've seen it elsewhere before. I would kill to be able to see this and Heston's other epics on the big screen, it would be something special.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:08 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Ten Commandments is one seriously epic movie. Heston's performance may be the greatest thing about it, but it sure wouldn't be the same without that Elmer Bernstein score.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:13 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

CrowMagnumMan wrote:
Ten Commandments is one seriously epic movie. Heston's performance may be the greatest thing about it, but it sure wouldn't be the same without that Elmer Bernstein score.

Or Yul Brynner as Ramses, who was also outstanding. Heston actually said in an interview that he thought he was "Just okay" while he thought that Brynner was the best thing about the movie. I hate to disagree with Chuck, but I thought he was absolutely perfect as Moses and did a great job with the part. For God's sakes, the man was only 32 years old when he did this movie! :o

I don't think there will ever be an epic of the proportions shown in this movie. They really went all-out. DeMille knew how to make things big, God bless him.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:38 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Oh yeah. I ought to give Yul Brynner some credit. He was great. But Heston's performance was the stuff of legend.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Nobody builds gigantic sets and uses thousands of extras anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:57 am 
El Cid

Heston should have won an Oscar for his performance as Moses. Don't get me wrong, Brynner was great ... but Heston was simply magnificent.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:03 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

On my old VHS of the movie they had this awesome trailer for the 1989 re-release. Definitely one of the coolest trailers I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:10 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Heston should have won an Oscar for his performance as Moses. Don't get me wrong, Brynner was great ... but Heston was simply magnificent.

He was nominated for a Golden Globe, so I guess he wasn't far off getting at least a nomination from the Academy.

CrowMagnumMan wrote:
On my old VHS of the movie they had this awesome trailer for the 1989 re-release. Definitely one of the coolest trailers I've ever seen.

Awesome trailer indeed, Crow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next