Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:35 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Two-Minute Warning
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Larry Peerce
Production year: 1976
Starring: Charlton Heston, John Cassavetes, Martin Balsam

Plot:

A group of art thieves plan a daring robbery by using a sniper to cause a panic during a championship football game in a stadium that just happens to be in the vicinity of the museum they plan to rob. The SWAT team is notified, but can they stop the sniper before he creates a mass panic?

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: Two-Minute Warning
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:18 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

NOTE: This thread will be used for general talk of the movie Two-Minute Warning. If there's anything specific you'd like to discuss, please start a new topic in this section.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:12 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

This is probably my least favorite of Heston's disaster movies. I don't dislike it, but I felt it was too slow for most of the movie's running time. I don't mind slow movies, as long as the pay-off at the end is satisfactory. I think in this case it was, to a certain degree. Not enough to change my mind about the overall quality of the movie. There were a lot of sniper teasing throughout the movie :neville: and that got kind of tiresome. After a while I was rooting for the sniper to fire a couple of rounds!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:21 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Newspaper ad from The Milwaukee Journal - Nov. 1976.

Attachments:
two.png
two.png [ 401.23 KiB | Viewed 2033 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:17 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Very cool how they are "sniping" every star of the movie on that ad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:21 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:

Nowadays, that probably would not be allowed or would be condemned as incitement to violence; you can't place targets or target-like symbols over anything or anyone these days because apparently some psycho will take that as a signal to really start shooting at someone (or so say those who dictate our social direction these days - I guess psychotics are more susceptible to such suggestion than they used to be). :roll:

btw, I just noticed that the plot description about art thieves in the OP refers to the TV version of the film. In the original 1976 theatrical version, there were no art thieves; there was just a sniper and his rationale was never explained. Prior to airing the film in 1978, the TV network requested that new scenes be filmed about an art theft plot, to soften the original film's violent plot of just a lone sniper (you can read about it on Wikipedia). It didn't make the film longer because footage from the old version was taken out at the same time new footage was added in... but, as Thorn mentions above, it did make it more boring probably.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:51 am 
Call Me Harry

I just watched this today. It was okay. Not a lot of deep characterizations but Chuck knew how to play the tough, no nonsense hero role by this point and he plays the part with the kind efficiency you expect from him. I don't remember Chuck really saying much about this film in his autobiography...

Chrysagon wrote:
Detective Thorn wrote:

Nowadays, that probably would not be allowed or would be condemned as incitement to violence; you can't place targets or target-like symbols over anything or anyone these days because apparently some psycho will take that as a signal to really start shooting at someone (or so say those who dictate our social direction these days - I guess psychotics are more susceptible to such suggestion than they used to be). :roll:

btw, I just noticed that the plot description about art thieves in the OP refers to the TV version of the film. In the original 1976 theatrical version, there were no art thieves; there was just a sniper and his rationale was never explained. Prior to airing the film in 1978, the TV network requested that new scenes be filmed about an art theft plot, to soften the original film's violent plot of just a lone sniper (you can read about it on Wikipedia). It didn't make the film longer because footage from the old version was taken out at the same time new footage was added in... but, as Thorn mentions above, it did make it more boring probably.

Interesting trivia...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:29 pm 
Cheating Bastard

I would have loved to have seen Heston in a weekly cop T.V. series at this point in his career (maybe based on this character). He was still young enough to pull it off. I envision a tough as nails cop in a big city (LA) solving crimes and kicking some butt. Maybe even an "Equalizer" type storyline.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:14 am 
Prince Judah

Here's a link to a blog that goes into extensive detail about this film, including the differences between the original theatrical version and the TV version a couple of years later: http://originalvidjunkie.blogspot.com/2 ... e4f2031997 - this is at the "Video Junkie" site; I think someone here posted about their site on another film thread, but can't remember which one.

_______ ImageImage

There's even a scan of a newspaper article there that a reader can click to read (increased size) which goes into the trend of those years of changing films with new footage for their TV airings (Earthquake is the other example, an early one). As one can see by the screen grabs, a whole new set of actors were in the new TV version of TWO-MINUTE WARNING, though it retained all the actors of the original version. However, some of these ended up with much smaller roles - Joe Kapp is the best example of this; you can see him credited in posters earlier in this thread; his role almost disappeared in the TV version.

If you read far enough into the blog, you'll come across the most interesting bit of info: one of the new scenes for the TV version with one of the original actors - Heston himself! Yes, it seems that Heston was obliging back then in helping out with this new TV version and filmed a new scene. I assume he was paid something but dunno. It was probably strange for him and probably looks strange in the new TV version because his new scene is filmed a couple of years after all his other scenes. :-? Sure enough, the blog mentions that his, ah, hair looks a bit different in the new scene:
_________________ Image Image

But, that's not all! There were one or two more new Heston scenes near the end:
Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:47 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Man, I would love both versions to be included in a future DVD/Blu-ray release. I wonder if any of these TV-versions has been released on any format before or if they've been exclusive to TV only all this time?