Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:41 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Tribute to Chuck's greatness as a Sci-fic hero
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:32 pm 
Prince Judah

I have come across a nice article on Chuck's heroics in the major Sci-fic films he made. The writer, Megan Collins calls him the 'Manliest protagonist' of Sci-fic movies. Here is the article for you:

Science Fiction films depict every type of creature fathomable- human and non-human. Usually, there is always one out of any race that stands alone as the alpha male. Science Fiction has many examples of these heroes: for example, Flash Gordon, Captain James Kirk (or Picard, the choice is yours). It’s not often an actor can portray this type of character in more than one science fiction movie, and do it better than any before him. In the 1970’s, Charlton Heston was the man.

When biological warfare turned humans against science and technology in a post-apocalyptic nightmare, he was there. When humans had failed the Earth, and apes evolved to take their place, he was there. When humans had resorted to eating soylent green, aka- each other, he and Edward G. Robinson were there.

Heston was the actor of choice for any film that called for an ordinary yet larger than life persona. Throughout the span of his career, he played a variety of characters; everyone from Marc Antony to Moses. While he was infallible in his historical roles, Heston was a flexible man. Though often associated with those roles in particular, he was a 70’s Science Fiction film staple. He portrayed the Average Joe, who when in times of crisis and world-altering revelations, came through it all as the resilient hero. Three of Heston’s Sci-Fi films are enough to cement him as one of the genres manliest protagonist: Planet of the Apes, The Omega Man, and Soylent Green. While he is the picture of a conqueror taking down the man (ape, counter-culture, and savage humans in his case) with an iron fist and a chiseled jaw, his starring role in Planet of the Apes might be the most testosterone charged performance of all three.

Aside from the fact that he is usually less than fully clothed in1968’s Planet of the Apes, Heston is the definition of man in the film; literally. Apes have super-evolved, replacing humans as the dominant race on Earth. Men on the planet have become a simple, undomesticated people. Heston’s character, American astronaut George Taylor, has been in space for over 2006 years. His ship lands on the planet of apes, which he later learns is Earth. Heston portrays the awed yet head strong Taylor in all kinds of shirtless glory. When a few gorillas attempt to capture Heston, as he had escaped from them previously, he utters one of pop-culture’s most infamous lines: “Get your hands off of me, you damn dirty ape!” The line is brash and bold, but Heston makes it the line of a true he-man. In the end, he and his Neanderthal throwback female counterpart ride off on horseback, into the sunset.

Heston played a survivor of biological warfare, Doctor Robert Neville, in 1971’s The Omega Man. He had immunized himself and was safe from the virus that had plagued millions. Practically alone in the city of Los Angeles, Heston’s character is left to fend for himself against the albino-like infected masses who are bent upon destroying him and anything from prior civilization. Heston conveyed Dr. Neville as a careful yet ruthless human being with an intense will to survive.

'Soylent Green', made in 1973, was Heston’s next starring role in a sci-fi film. He played Ty Thorn, a New York City policeman investigating the murder of a wealthy investor in the year 2022. The population has soared to over forty million people in New York City alone, and growing. Humans have limited to no resources- fruit is a luxury-, and have resorted to eating a government controlled food supply, called “soylent”. Heston’s character, Thorn, after being informed by his dying roommate the truth about soylent, is determined to let it be known. Shoving his way past any man in his path, Heston’s character exudes the determination of a famished lion stalking his prey. Of course, he gets the gorgeous damsel in distress after only knowing her for maybe a day. It was just the patent Heston lure. Though Heston’s character dies in the end, and the secret of soylent will never be exposed (it’s people, by the way… soylent is people) it doesn’t detract from the fact that Heston tried with an unmatched ferocity to expose the truth.

Heston’s performance in all of his films just oozed the essence of man. He was tough, he was real, and he was ridiculously good looking. His acting in science fiction films is often overlooked, when in reality it’s some of his best work. Charlton Heston was the man in every film he starred in, but he is indefinitely one of science fiction’s manliest protagonist..

The link-- http://www.nerdbloggers.com/nerdblogger ... onist.html

I know this Man!

Post subject: Re: Tribute to Chuck's greatness as a Sci-fic hero
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:02 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Very interesting article and I'd have to agree. I can't think of any other actor that brought so much manliness to his roles in sci-fi movies. Heston was just such a badass in all four of his sci-fi flicks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 pm 
Prince Judah

Sometimes, it's easier just to say it with pictures:

:ddape: PLANET OF THE APES :neville: THE OMEGA MAN :arrow: :soylent: SOYLENT GREEN

:thumbsup: :arrow: SCI-FI CHUCK :arrow: CHUCK IS... THE SCI-FI MAN! (1968-1973)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:17 pm 
Astronaut

I agree with the article's view, but I would say that Heston's characters in the sci-fic films represent 'Man' in the sense of what we understand as 'humanity'. I don't see the term 'man' as necessarily a gender-based construction. His appearence in the 'Planet of the Apes' shows what a '**** sapiens' should be , ideally.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:08 pm 
Prince Judah

Yeah that's a good point. Whenever I see Chuck's upright physique as the defender of mankind in 'The Planet of the Apes', I feel like reciting Hamlet's "What a piece of work is a man!"

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:07 pm 
Astronaut

Hi, I've found a strange kind of tribute to Heston as a sci-fic hero, from one who doesn't remember him for his epics but only take his science fiction films as favourite!

"When I read "remembered chiefly for his monumental, jut-jawed portrayals of Moses, Ben-Hur and Michelangelo," I wondered, by whom? I'm pretty old but I've never seen those movies. I was alive when they came out, but too young to go to movies like that, and they weren't the kind of movies I was ever interested in over the decades I've spent catching up on old movies. So I don't believe Charlton Heston is remembered chiefly for his monumental, jut-jawed portrayals of Moses, Ben-Hur and Michelangelo. I think most people younger than 60 remember him chiefly for "Planet of the Apes."

Ask the man on the street to imitate Charlton Heston and I bet he'd say "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"

Ah, we loved Science Fiction Charlton Heston!"

Link to the blog: http://althouse.blogspot.in/2008/04/cha ... y-for.html

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:03 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

With all due respect to that blogger, he's mistaken and seem to make fact based on his own taste in movies. People in all ages know of Heston mainly as Moses and Ben-Hur. You don't even have to have an interest in those kind of movies to have seen them and remember Chuck from those iconic roles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:26 pm 
Prince Judah

Actually, Thorn, the blogger is a female - Ann Althouse; you can see a small photo of her at the top of the blog. I'm not familiar with her, but it seems like she is a prominent lawyer - that's mainly what her blogging is about. My impression is that she is familiar with Heston on about the same level as people who are not really into films and just took the opportunity to mention her views about him when he passed away. She obviously has only a passing familiarity with him and his films (sort of like, "oh, Charlton Heston..? Oh, yeah, wasn't he that big actor in a few sci-fi films in the late sixties and seventies..?").

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:04 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Ah, I didn't click on the link.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:23 pm 
Prince Judah

Chrysagon wrote:
My impression is that she is familiar with Heston on about the same level as people who are not really into films and just took the opportunity to mention her views about him when he passed away. She obviously has only a passing familiarity with him and his films (sort of like, "oh, Charlton Heston..? Oh, yeah, wasn't he that big actor in a few sci-fi films in the late sixties and seventies..?").

That may be, you remember the guy whom I mentioned in the Ben-Hur thread, writing an enthusiastic blog about the movie only after watching it in his mid-forties, with family and children? But as for this lady, however much of a lawyer she is, she seems quite interested in Chuck's later life-politics, she expresses her disregard of Moore(Columbine)... she takes it quite understanding and sympathy, as it seems. Even then is it possible to be indifferent to Ben-Hur and Moses? I really don't know. :-?

I know this Man!