Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Treasure Island
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:44 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Fraser Clarke Heston
Production year: 1990
Starring: Charlton Heston, Christian Bale, Oliver Reed

Plot:

Young Jim Hawkins, while running the Benbow Inn with his mother, meets Captain Billy Bones, who dies at the inn while it is beseiged by buccaneers led by Blind Pew. Jim and his mother fight off the attackers and discover Billy Bones' treasure map for which the buccaneers had come. Jim agrees to sail on the S.S. Espaniola with Squire Trelawney and Dr. Livesey to find the treasure on a mysterious isiand. Upon arriving at the island, ship's cook and scaliwag Long John Silver leads a mutiny of crew members who want the treasure for themselves. Jim helps the Squire and Espaniola officers to survive the mutiny and fight back against Silver's men, who have taken over the Espaniola.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: Treasure Island
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:10 am 
El Cid

Easily the best version of this classic story.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:30 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I keep hearing people say that, James. I haven't seen this movie yet, so I'm very eager to get it on DVD one day. I hear nothing but great things about it, so I'm sure I'll be very pleased with it.

Apparently, the Warner Archives are on their way to release it on DVD. They will sell on demand, meaning that they'll print the DVD specifically for you when you order.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:21 pm 
Marabunta

Yes an excellent movie you need to get, Thorn.

P.S. Christian Bale :shock: The future "Dark Knight" who would have thought. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:52 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

See, that's another reason why this movie should be released! Christian Bale is huge now, why not cash in on his fame? The Crucifier of Blood DVD was most likely just released because of the new Sherlock Holmes movie, after all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:04 pm 
El Cid

Everything about the Heston version of TREASURE ISLAND works well. The music, the acting, the scenery and the direction by Fraser Heston are all first rate. Chuck is great as Long John Silver, and there are fabulous cameos from Oliver Reed and Christopher Lee. This is the version to watch, forget the eye ball rolling Robert Newton Disney comedy, and the others, starring Welles, Beerey and Palance are pretty unwatchable (I know, because I bought all versions of TREASURE ISLAND - its one of my favourites from my childhood).

Post subject: "Treasure Island"
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:50 pm 
No Water For Me

The Hestons' "Treasure Island". It seems there's no DVD available of this production. I've heard it's very good -- Young Heston's script and old Heston's Long John Silver. I saw a VHS copy years ago but failed to buy it when I had the chance. Rats! Anybody know if I'm wrong about the DVD or where I can, at least, get a copy of the VHS tape (to own)? Help! As you may have guessed, I'm a Heston fan and love classic adventure stories.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:49 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

It probably needn't be said, considering my avatar, but I loved the hell out of this movie. Along with Oliver Reed and Christopher Lee, the movie also has some other favorite actors of mine like Julian Glover and Pete Postlethwaite.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:05 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

It's pretty amazing, and quite the effort to pull together such a mixed & great cast for a movie, also keep in mind that this was a TV-movie! Impressive is the least you can say about the casting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:08 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Ha, yeah. It was way above-average for a TV movie. I really hope you get to see it sometime soon Thorn.