Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Treasure Island
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:48 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I believe he's wrong about Treasure Island being an HBO production. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, it was TNT.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:10 am 
Prince Judah

Yes, TNT. Today was apparently International Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day (Silly, yes). :ljsilver:
But, in honor of Chuck's foray into pirate territory, I took the pirate quiz at this site:
------> http://amatterofdegree.typepad.com/a_ma ... -its-.html

Here was my result : :ljsilver:

_____________ Your pirate name is:
_________ Dirty Roger Rackham
You're the pirate everyone else wants to throw in the ocean -- not to get rid
of you, you understand; just to get rid of the smell. You have the good fortune
of having a good name, since Rackham (pronounced RACKem, not rack-ham)
is one of the coolest sounding surnames for a pirate. Arr!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:13 pm 
El Cid

TREASURE ISLAND was shown at the cinema in England.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:09 pm 
Astronaut

Hi knight, how about planning an alternate-reality 'Pirates of the Caribbean' casting Heston as Jack Sparrow?

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:02 am 
Astronaut

Read this interesting write-up on 'Treasure Island' :the writer says that he is not a big fan of Heston and calls him 'Cheston', but he admits that Long John Silver is one of his brilliant actings! Let's decide if we should forgive his dislike of Heston's other great works, for the sake of his appreciation of Silver only! :-? I'll be giving the link below for pictures.

"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--
...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!
Drink and the devil had done for the rest--
...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!"

That little ditty, invented by Robert Louis Stevenson for his adventure novel, Treasure Island,is the primary reason why we associate pirates with rum to this day. Sure, the alcoholic buccaneers featured in Stevenson’s story were not without historical precedent. Eighteenth century privateers traded rum and sailors of all sorts certainly drank it; but after the publication of Treasure Island it was impossible to disassociate pirates from their drink of choice.

Rum plays a central role throughout Treasure Island. When ex-buccaneer Billy Bones takes lodging at the Admiral Benbow Inn, he spends his evenings swilling rum and singing the seafaring song printed above. Overindulgence in the drink leads to Bones’ death and in turn fuels the plot, as Jim Hawkins, the inn-keeper’s son, discovers a treasure map amongst the dead man’s possessions. When the boy hero takes to sea in search of pirate gold, he discovers that most of his crewmates are old shipmates of Bones with plans of mutiny, larceny, and murder. Hawkins is nearly discovered overhearing the mutineers’ plans, but his neck is saved when the pirates are distracted by their thirst for rum. Rum continues to serve as Hawkins’ ally for the remainder of the book, as the dim-witted buccaneers are defeated at nearly every turn by their weakness for the drink.

Not only is Treasure Island the most important of all pirate tales; it is also the most often filmed. The story has been adapted for film and television more than fifty times, including multiple silents, iconic MGM and Disney classics, animated shorts and features, and a Muppetized version. However, the most faithful and in my opinion the best of all of the Treasure Island movies was a 1990 made-for-television production, produced, written, and directed by Fraser Clarke Heston (the son of the most forceful of all ham actors, Charlton Heston).

Don’t let the fact that the picture was produced for basic cable stop you from seeking out Fraser Heston’s take on the oft-filmed tale. The production values are excellent (with the tall ship from the 1962 version of Mutiny on the Bounty standing in for the Hispanola), the cinematography is lush, and the soundtrack by The Chieftains is appropriately seaworthy. Best of all is the cast. A teenage Christian Bale makes an admirable Jim Hawkins; noted drunkard Oliver Reed is perfectly cast as the boozy Billy Bones; and Christopher Lee is wonderfully slimy as Blind Pew. Finally, in the pivotal role of Long John Silver, Heston has cast his dad. I’ve never been a big fan of the over-actor I like to call “Cheston.” However, Cheston makes one of the best movie Silvers, capturing both the ruthlessness and the folksy charm that the part requires.

Heston the younger wisely chooses not to try to improve upon a classic. The dialogue is more than 90 percent Stevenson, and the story sticks close to the text, with the exception of a few judicious cuts. Consequently, if you are a fan of the book, the 1990 movie version will be the one you'll treasure. It is a film that can be enjoyed with the whole family, or better yet with a bottle of rum.

Drinks Consumed--Rum (with water and straight), port wine, and ale

Intoxicating Effects--Harmonizing, staggering, slurred speech, bickering, brawling, physical violence, passing out, and death

Potent Quotables--DR. LIVESEY (to Billy Bones): I have only one thing to say to you, sir. If you keep on drinking rum, the world will soon be quit of a very dirty scoundrel.

Some stills are there at : http://www.boozemovies.com/2013_04_01_archive.html

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:34 pm 
El Cid

I love trivia and I've been reading the latest reviews on the new Moses movie, and it suddenly struck me that four of the cast and credits from TREASURE ISLAND have also made movies about Moses. In fact, three of them have played Moses!

Fraser Heston (director of TREASURE ISLAND) played the infant Moses in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.
Charlton Heston (Long John Silver) played Moses in the same great epic.
Christian Bale (Jim Hawkins) can currently be seen as Moses in EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS.
Christopher Lee (Blind Pew) played Ramses in the 1995 tv movie MOSES. Ben Kinsley played Moses in that one, and guess what? Ben plays a nun in the new Christian Bale Moses movie!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:51 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Ben plays a nun?! I knew he was a great actor, but not that good :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:40 am 
El Cid

Sadly, two wonderful actors from TREASURE ISLAND died a few days ago - Richard Johnson on the 6 June and the following day Sir Christopher Lee met his maker. Both of these two were also briefly in two other Heston movies, ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA and JULIUS CAESAR.

In 1951 they both appeared in the Gregory Peck sea-faring saga CAPTAIN HORATIO HORNBLOWER R.N.

Johnson played Dr Watson with Heston as Sherlock Holmes in THE CRUCIFER OF BLOOD, and Lee also played Holmes, plus his brother Mycroft, amongst his amazing film career.

Rest in Peace Richard Johnson and Sir Christopher Lee, thank you for all the movie memories.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:01 am 
Cheating Bastard

James Byrne wrote:
TREASURE ISLAND was shown at the cinema in England.

I went to see it at the cinema and remember something went wrong ! It was either a mistake by the projectionist and a reel was shown out of sequence or there was a problem with the heating in the cinema and we were really cold in the audience. Both things happened to me at the cinema but I can't remember for certain which one happened during Treasure Island. Refunds were given on both occasions!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:26 pm 
El Cid

TREASURE ISLAND wasn't shown in Lincoln because the manager of our local Odeon cinema deemed it "too realistic" to be presented. I was furious with him and demanded to know what he meant by that. "The kids will be disappointed by it, it's not like the Disney film, you know!" he stated. "That's exactly why I want to see it ... the Disney version is ridiculous!"

Anyway, he wouldn't order it, and I had to wait until the vhs video was released to see it (titled DEVIL'S TREASURE) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next