Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Treasure Island
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:11 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Since it's been discussed here, I just thought I'd mention for those who may not be aware yet that Treasure Island has finally gotten a release date on DVD. It is also not a Warner Archive exclusive DVD, so it's available on more than one place, thankfully. CHfan2010 was the bearer of good news in this thread: new-charlton-heston-releases-on-dvd-bluray-t11-60.html

Bring on September! :ljsilver:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:46 pm 
Prince Judah

I received the new DVD of this one yesterday and watched it last night. This was like a first time viewing for me; I could have sworn that I saw it when it first aired (on the TNT Channel apparently), but now I wonder if maybe I watched the first act only back then and had to switch channels or turn off the TV for some reason and go somewhere. Because I dimly remember the early scenes with Oliver Reed but nothing after that.

It's at the half-hour point that the film really takes off. That's when we're finally introduced to Heston's Long John Silver :ljsilver: and young Jim Hawkins (Christian Bale) actually goes off on his great adventure. It's a long film - about 130 minutes. I expected it to be more juvenile, more for kids, but most of this is serious life-or-death adventure - with the emphasis on death; most of the dying is by the bad guys (those rotten pirates!) but still, it's some intense action. The most tense scene for me was Jim Hawkins fighting for his life against a lone pirate on the ship. The pirate has a leg injury, but he's a grown man, so it doesn't look good for Hawkins...

Great perfomances from unexpected quarters - Richard Johnson, Julian Glover and lesser known actors, like the one playing the ship's captain and a couple of the crew (Johnson, of course, would rejoin Heston for Crucifer of Blood). :ljsilver: Heston dominates the screen, as usual. The cinematography on that island is great, very picturesque - this really shows on the quality DVD picture; I doubt it looked like this when it was on TV 20 years ago. I still have to watch it again, this time with audio commentary by Fraser Heston, who directed it.

Last edited by Chrysagon on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:36 pm 
Michelangelo

Wyeth’s ‘Treasure Island’ works on exhibit
(The Associated Press, September 30, 2011)

http://auburnpub.com/lifestyles/article_9c48f598-eaec-11e0-a391-001cc4c002e0.html

Quote:

CHADDS FORD, Pa. — A century after N.C. Wyeth’s illustrations of the pirates and scalawags of “Treasure Island” first appeared, the iconic images considered the definitive version of the classic tale are reunited for the first time since their completion.

The Brandywine Museum has reassembled them in a new exhibit marking the 100th anniversary of Wyeth’s “Treasure Island” and the 40th anniversary of the museum, not far from an old carriage house where Wyeth created the 17 large oils on canvas for publishing house Charles Scribner’s Sons. The only painting not in the exhibit was destroyed in a fire in 1952
Robert Louis Stevenson’s 1883 book was already a favorite of readers and critics when the story was published with Wyeth’s illustrations in 1911. Where earlier editions typically featured basic line drawings to illustrate the coming-of-age adventure, Wyeth’s spirited and colorful depictions of Long John Silver, Jim Hawkins, Billy Bones and company became an instant hit.
“No director had a finer production illustrator than N.C. Wyeth,” director Fraser Heston says in a letter included in the exhibit. The son of Charlton Heston, he based his “Treasure Island” storyboards on Wyeth’s work for a 1989 movie starring his father as peg-legged pirate Long John Silver.
The exhibit is on view until Nov. 20

:cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:21 am 
Prince Judah

Fraser Heston mentions the Wyeth paintings on which he modeled the film in his audio commentary on the DVD. There are some great shots early in the film, as well, before the later scenes on the island, such as one of Billy Bones (Oliver Reed) looking out over the ocean with his scope while standing on this cliff. A lot of the 'look' of the film does resemble a painting. :ljsilver:

Incidentally, I just found out that the write-up of the film on the back of the DVD cover names Christian Bale's character as "Jim Dawkins." Anyone know if this is some alternate accepted name for Jim Hawkins or is it just a filthy error? Aarrr... someone needs to be swabbin' the deck for such careless penmanship :comegetsome:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:49 pm 
Michelangelo

The Treasure Island 1990 (Soundtrack)

Music by Paddy Moloney, The Chieftains

:ljsilver:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:28 am 
Prince Judah

Arrrr.. do ye dare to glimpse a portion of the film, me hearties..? :ljsilver: Them scurvy swine...

Check out the opening scene above there and how it comes across as a painting... ARRRR... :ljsilver:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:20 pm 
Prince Judah

The whole movie is available in the youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6-Oj6d4 ... re=related

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:16 pm 
Prince Judah

There is a site with DVD reviews, Fraser Heston's commentary and other bits of information on the movie Check it from the link-
http://www.jamesindigital.com/treasure- ... vd-review/

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:02 am 
Michelangelo

HMS Bounty Tribute - Treasure Island

Former HMS Bounty captain remembers tall ship sunk by Sandy

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/11/01/1 ... nk=addthis
Quote:
Posted on Thursday, November 1, 2012
As someone with a deep connection with the ship — he was its captain from 1986 to 1990 Hilton Head Island resident John Rumsey was shocked to hear she’d sunk Monday during Superstorm Sandy

The ship, a replica of the 1787 Royal Navy sailing vessel built in 1960, went down off the coast of North Carolina. Fourteen of 16 crew members, including a Savannah woman whohad just joined the crew in May, survived, but one crew member died and the Bounty’s current captain is still missing :( .....

About 25 years later, he became the ship’s skipper when his friend Ted Turner bought it as part of his purchase of MGM. Rumsey’s first voyage was to New York City for the July bicentennial celebration of the Statue of Liberty.
He even sailed it to Treasure Island — the 1990 film starring Charlton Heston :ljsilver: . There, the Bounty played the “Hispanola,” and Rumsey was part of the “second unit,” the crew that worked behind the scenes to sail the ship.

Among their jobs was making the boat look like it ran aground or keeled over for some scenes. Rumsey constructed a model of its mast that was used in fight scenes that couldn’t be shot on the ship.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:57 am 
Astronaut

A Blogger has watched and enjoyed Heston's 'Treasure Island' and written the following review: He has also sketched the character of Long John Silver, which is posed alongwith.

"I recently watched "Treasure Island" with Charlton Heston and a young Christian Bale. If you haven't seen this yet, it is probably because it was broadcast on HBO about twenty something years ago, and only now is released on DVD (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100813/). Artists will instantly notice the color palette is heavily influenced by NC Wyeth's "Treasure Island" illustrations. Striking is the resemblance between his Old Pew painting and the portrayal by Christopher Lee. With a cast including Olvier Reed as Billy Bones, Julian Glover as Dr. Livesey, and Heston himself, this one is my favorite interpretation of the Robert Louis Stevenson classic. Heston is not to be missed here. His son Fraser Heston directed, and did a bang-up job. Music by the Chieftans.
I did a few fountain pen drawings of my own pirates while watching the film. Always a pleasure."

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next