Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:03 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Touch of Evil
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:58 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Orson Welles
Production year: 1958
Starring: Charlton Heston, Orson Welles, Janet Leigh

Storyline:

Mexican Narcotics officer Ramon Miguel 'Mike' Vargas has to interrupt his honeymoon on the Mexican-US border when an American building contractor is killed after someone places a bomb in his car. He's killed on the US side of the border but it's clear that the bomb was planted on the Mexican side. As a result, Vargas delays his return to Mexico City where he has been mounting a case against the Grandi family crime and narcotics syndicate. Police Captain Hank Quinlan is in charge on the US side and he soon has a suspect, a Mexican named Manolo Sanchez. Vargas is soon onto Quinlan and his Sergeant, Pete Menzies, when he catches them planting evidence to convict Sanchez. With his new American wife, Susie, safely tucked away in a hotel on the US side of the border - or so he thinks - he starts to review Quinlan's earlier cases. While concentrating on the corrupt policeman however, the Grandis have their own plans for Vargas and they start with his wife Susie.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: Touch of Evil
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:43 am 
Call Me Harry

Accent or no accent (Heston later admitted that not doing the accent was a huge mistake on his part) this is still a solid performance from Heston as the narcotics officer drawn into a twisted world of backstabbing, blackmail and murder. And watching him beat up the punks in the bar is just plain awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:30 am 
Michelangelo

Last scene, last quote: 8-)
from Marlene Dietrich's character (Tanya):
"He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people? "

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:19 am 
Michelangelo

Touch of EvilTouch of Evil (1958) Trailer

:cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:39 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Thanks, I've added it again!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:49 am 
Marabunta

Oh, this looks really good! Too many movies that I want to see......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:45 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

amyk wrote:
Oh, this looks really good! Too many movies that I want to see......

My suggestion is you write down all the Heston movies you want to see on paper, cut them out and put them in a bowl. Then you pick one after one.

Can't go wrong with that :sherlock:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:37 pm 
Marabunta

The problem for me is accessing them.....The main ones I want to see, after reading things on this website are:
1) Soylent Green
2) Will Penny
3) Touch of Evil
4) The Omega Man
5) The Wreck of the Mary Deare (or whatever it is called....)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 am 
Michelangelo

Touch of Evil will be showed on 24 Feb and 3 March on Sky Movies Classics.

Starting: 07:00 GMT on Thursday 24th February.
Showing on Sky Movies Classics.

Starting: 07:00 GMT on Thursday 24th February.
Showing on Sky Movies Classics HD.

Starting: 00:40 GMT on Wednesday 2nd March.
Showing on Sky Movies Classics.

Starting: 00:40 GMT on Wednesday 2nd March.
Showing on Sky Movies Classics HD.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:15 am 
Call Me Harry

I was trying to find a good MP3 download of the main theme but it hasn't surfaced.

What's funny is that in the original novella, "Badge of Evil", the main character was white and his wife was Mexican, the Orson Welles character ended up being the victim while Menzies (don't remember if that was his name in the original novella) was the villain.

I was just watching the film earlier and some random thoughts occured -

1) Good, as personafied by Charlton Heston, is tall, lean, healthy, square jawed, eagle profiled, very professional and has a strong clear voice, while Evil or at least "Corruption" as personafied by Orson Welles, is grossly overweight, bloated in the face, ill-mannered, has a ravaged voice that makes him difficult to understand, and believes that personal tragedy gives him the right to abuse what little power he has as a police captain.

2) Recycling a question I posted in Planet of the Apes, would most agree that Orson Welles character is both victim and villain? A small town widower with a weakness of beer, embittered by his loss and the generally poor condition of his life, he has built a fraudulent reputation on being a detective who always finds his suspect and the evidence to go with him - evidence that he plants and the rest of the force either looks the other way (it's possible) or are oblivious to what he does. Welles character is so used to getting his own way that the first time anyone actually opposes him, the Heston character, he runs away like almost like a spoiled child, or a person who's illusion of invincibility has been cracked if not outright shattered. He then turns to the local Mexican mob boss Grandi in order to plot against Heston simply for having the courage to actually question him - and then murders Grandi in order to make Heston look worse. In the end, Heston turns the tables on Welles by being equally underhanded; Welles long brewing self-destruction results from his inability to tolerate not being able to control everything around him, which leads to him killing Menzies, his partner & only true friend, who in turn kills him to protect Heston.