Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:50 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Three Violent People
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:39 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
THREE VIOLENT PEOPLE has Tom Tryon as Heston's one-armed brother. A few years later, another Heston western MAJOR DUNDEE featured James Coburn as a one-armed scout!

You know, I was thinking of the exact same thing when I watched the video CHfan2010 posted.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:05 am 
Michelangelo

Leiningen'sLady wrote:
Maybe it's just a chick thing, but Three Violent People, along with The Naked Jungle, are two of my absolute favorites from his early career. Gilbert Roland is wonderful and even though Anne Baxter is a bit over-the-top, I agree with whoever observed that it plays well off of how cold Heston's character Colt has become by that part of the movie where it's the most noticeable. While "the meet" is certainly contrived, it's meant to be, with only Heston's character not being in on it between him, Baxter, and the audience.... I actually found their scenes traveling to his boyhood home, now all his, quite touching and rather believable, and one of Baxter's best scenes I thought is when Innocencio says something about her having the look of a woman in love for the first time... And her face betrays the realization she hasn't really thought about -- that it's true. She's fallen for her mark. He may have been a mark she planned on staying with for good, dug in deep like a tick, but odds-on she never thought she would have real feelings for him that would lend a real fright to the later scenes when her past starts to catch up and then actually does... As for Heston, I thought he did a lovely job in this one, even though he discounted it (as he often did his youthful work) in both his journals and In the Arena. Carefully go through the following two sequences toward the end of the movie: (1) Where he realizes Lorna really is leaving for good, calls out to her to wait (which comes across as anathema to the character) endures an interruption by one of Innocencio's boys and snarls at him to "leave us alone," only to find he must deal with the problem -- Cinch's latest unwanted homecoming; and (2) Where he grapples with learning Cinch hates him enough to kill him, Lorna is willing to risk herself for him and protect their child, more than once, the look on his face as he waits for Cinch to draw on him after he's announced he will not draw on Cinch, and the warmth & relief that floods his face when Cinch discovers to his own amazement that he doesn't hate Colt enough to kill him coldly and deliberately. Those two sequences and the play of emotions on Heston's face are simply amazing for an actor at that stage of his career...

It's become one of my favorite Westerns, flawed little gem that it may be, for moments of great poignancy such as those. In addition, the relationship between Roland & Heston as both friends and surrogate father and son is very well done; a prime example of how Heston could be both a man's man and a lady's man throughout his career.

I fully agreed with you,Leiningen'sLady. Gilbert Roland is wonderful in his part.

A clip of Gilbert Roland (plays as Innocencio Ortega) in "Three Violent People." -- A Place in Our Hearts

:cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:38 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Newspaper ad from The Milwaukee Journal.

Attachments:
thrreevio.png
thrreevio.png [ 217.2 KiB | Viewed 962 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:04 am 
Michelangelo

Found another music video:
Three Violent People (Stone Unturned)

:cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:30 pm 
Prince Judah

Here's an unusual action still of Chuck Heston from the film, on sale on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHARLTON-HESTON ... 1c1a1d094b

______________ Image

I don't think I've ever seen this 'in action' still before; seems rare, but maybe it's just me...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:43 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Haven't seen it either, looks very peculiar.