Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Wreck of the Mary Deare
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:07 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Michael Anderson
Production year: 1959
Starring: Gary Cooper, Charlton Heston, Michael Redgrave

Plot:

In the English Channel John Sands, captain of a small rescue ship, finds the freighter Mary Deare drifting. Although there's only a little fire, the whole crew seems to have left the ship. John's already looking forward to a large salvage fee, but then he finds first officer Gerald Patch still on board, who sends him away. Although he doesn't understand yet what happened on the Mary Deere, Sands allows Patch to persuade him not to talk about what he saw on board and to drag out the official investigation of the incident.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: The Wreck of the Mary Deare
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:36 pm 
Michelangelo

In the Films of Charlton Heston, Jeff Rovin wrote:
Quote:
Wreck of the Mary Deare is really Cooper's film. His performance is wooden but is possessed of a fanatic determination that carries through and works. Heston's role, that of the Devil's Advocate, is well played, :applause: although there is little to work with in terms of character.
All in all, the film is good. :thumbsup: Given the lack of depth found in both the screenplay and direction, it is about the best it could have been.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:14 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Was there ever an official release for this film on DVD? I see some copies on Ebay, it says it's region 1, but when I google it I can't find any info at all of a previous release.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:54 pm 
El Cid

There never has been an official dvd r2 release of TWOTMD.
Its available to view on You Tube though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm 
Michelangelo

Up to this moment, I cannot find any offical release of this movie in a single DVD. However, this movie with 4 other Cooper's movies (Springfield Rifle, Dallas, The Fountainhead, Sergeant York) are in a DVD Box-Set called Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection (Region 1). Each movie is in one single DVD. There are 5 DVDs inside the Box-Set.

I got my copy in amazon.com. I enjoyed all of them in the Box-Set. :popcorn:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:43 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

CHfan2010 wrote:
Up to this moment, I cannot find any offical release of this movie in a single DVD. However, this movie with 4 other Cooper's movies (Springfield Rifle, Dallas, The Fountainhead, Sergeant York) are in a DVD Box-Set called Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection (Region 1). Each movie is in one single DVD. There are 5 DVDs inside the Box-Set.

I got my copy in amazon.com. I enjoyed all of them in the Box-Set. :popcorn:

Would love to have it, too bad it's in a box set and not in a separate DVD case. Makes it hard to put it with the rest of the Heston movies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:53 am 
El Cid

Yes, I hate that too. BAD FOR EACH OTHER has been released in boxset in America, with three other film noirs, and AIRPORT1975 was only released in an AIRPORT boxset in the United Kingdom.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:36 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Yes, I hate that too. BAD FOR EACH OTHER has been released in boxset in America, with three other film noirs, and AIRPORT1975 was only released in an AIRPORT boxset in the United Kingdom.

Luckily, at least in Sweden, the box set comes with separate cases/covers for each DVD. But it does suck that you have to buy the complete set just to own the one movie you want.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:01 pm 
El Cid

Yes, its a rip-off. The Heston boxset was very disappointing, all the movies in it were already readily available, like THE TEN COMMANDMENTS and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:06 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Yes, its a rip-off. The Heston boxset was very disappointing, all the movies in it were already readily available, like THE TEN COMMANDMENTS and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

I hate it when companies do that. Just another way to squeeze some money out of the fans instead of spending a little money by putting out movies without a current release.