Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The War Lord
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:09 am 
Cheating Bastard

The only cut that I am aware of is Richard Boone's narration at the very end where Chrysagon and Bors are riding out to see the Duke. I don't know why it was cut but I wish it was on the dvd as an extra. It may have answered a few lingering questions such as whether or not Chrysagon regained the Duke's favor and if he ever went back for Bronwyn.
It does seem as though there could have been some missing scenes from the second half of the movie, but if there are I haven't found any references to them yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:33 pm 
Prince Judah

At the end? But Chrysagon is dying, with that mortal wound, it looks like he is riding out of the village only to breathe his last in peace, out of all other concerns and tensions that the village has been symbolic of, in his life ... how can he see the Duke ? You mean towards the end, isn't it?

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:20 pm 
Prince Judah

itsjudah24 wrote:
At the end? But Chrysagon is dying, with that mortal wound, it looks like he is riding out of the village only to breathe his last in peace, out of all other concerns and tensions that the village has been symbolic of, in his life ... how can he see the Duke ? You mean towards the end, isn't it?

Well, no, he meant at the very end - the last shot is of Chrysagon and Bors riding their horses, off to see the Duke. I can understand how Boone's narration may have fit in here. Something probably like "..and so, we rode one last time to see the Duke and.."

I've never heard this narration and I also would have liked to have seen this alternate version as an extra on the DVD. The ending has always come across as open-ended to me; most of us assume that Chrysagon is dying from his wound, but there's a small part in me that thinks - he's tough; he'll survive the injury. We just don't know. :-?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:57 pm 
Prince Judah

Yeah, that is a valid interpretation, too. But somehow it gives me a Hamlet-moment-- a sense of impending tragedy, when Chrysagon says just a few minutes before the last shot-- "O Bors, I am dead". The very words Hamlet says to Horatio, as a prolepsis to his coming end. Anyway, I agree with you that the story here is open-ended-- this is a special type of Artistic-dramatic form based on Medieval romance-- like Shakespeare's 'Troilus and Cresida' or Browning's 'Child Harold to the Dark Tower Came'. The hero's death is not shown at the end, but there is a dark sense of loss and depair, betrayal, frustration, dishonour. This type is effectively called 'dark romance'. Our favourite 'War Lord' is a complex form of cinematic/dramatic art, you see?

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:48 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

As an FYI to all: The RETROPLEX HD CHANNEL is showing THE WAR LORD next week. I get this channel on DISH Network. Sometimes they show an actual HD version of a film; sometimes they show a standard def pan and scan version. It will be interesting to see what we get with this one.

---EDIT---

It was Pan and scan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:18 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Eureka video in the UK has announced an April Blu-ray release of The War Lord!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:29 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Ed Bannon wrote:
Eureka video in the UK has announced an April Blu-ray release of The War Lord!

Great news! Eureka is a great company so we should have a really good release on our hands soon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:20 am 
No Water For Me

And to think I just picked up the dvd of this one a couple of days ago at a flea market for $1.
I have not seen this one since the early 1980s.
Hopefully I'll get to watch it next weekend.
I do seem to remember a quote in this film that goes something like this:
"I spent 20 years inside that damn dirty armor!"
A portion of this line would be reused 3 years later in another of Mr. hestons films.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:52 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I need to order the U.K. Blu-ray of The War Lord. The screenshots at DVD BEAVER look quite nice. This is probably the best this film will ever look. However, like the Blu-ray of 55 Days at Peking, the Blu-ray appears to be region B locked; so don't buy it if you cannot play region B Blu-rays.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:47 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Ed Bannon wrote:
I need to order the U.K. Blu-ray of The War Lord. The screenshots at DVD BEAVER look quite nice. This is probably the best this film will ever look. However, like the Blu-ray of 55 Days at Peking, the Blu-ray appears to be region B locked; so don't buy it if you cannot play region B Blu-rays.

It seems to have gotten a few bad reviews on Amazon UK regarding the picture quality, oddly enough.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next