Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The War Lord
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:56 am 
Prince Judah

about the death of WAR LORD actor James Farentino tizzyd wrote:
Is it so? May God rest his soul.

It's not quite so as the original news story got things slightly wrong :mad: - here's the update:

Report: James Farentino died from broken hip http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.as ... &gt1=28101
Feb. 2, 2012, 4:15 PM EST WENN
Veteran actor James Farentino died as a result of a broken hip, a Los Angeles coroner has reportedly ruled. Image

The "Final Countdown" star was suspected to have died of heart failure at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center on January 24, but the star's cause of death has now been listed as "sequelae of right hip fracture" -- an injury he sustained after falling out of bed at his California home in December, according to TMZ.com.

The exact nature of the hip complication has not been listed. The fractured hip wasn't 73-year-old Farentino's only health problem -- he also suffered from heart disease, diabetes and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, a condition which makes it difficult to breathe.

Farentino rose to fame in the 1960s and became known for starring opposite Patty Duke in 1969's "Me, Natalie." He also became a TV favorite on shows like "Police Story" and "Dynasty."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:13 pm 
Prince Judah

Sad to hear all these. Rest in peace, our peasant lad.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:38 am 
Call Me Harry

Chrysagon wrote:
about the death of WAR LORD actor James Farentino tizzyd wrote:
Is it so? May God rest his soul.

It's not quite so as the original news story got things slightly wrong :mad: - here's the update:

Report: James Farentino died from broken hip http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.as ... &gt1=28101
Feb. 2, 2012, 4:15 PM EST WENN
Veteran actor James Farentino died as a result of a broken hip, a Los Angeles coroner has reportedly ruled. Image

The "Final Countdown" star was suspected to have died of heart failure at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center on January 24, but the star's cause of death has now been listed as "sequelae of right hip fracture" -- an injury he sustained after falling out of bed at his California home in December, according to TMZ.com.

The exact nature of the hip complication has not been listed. The fractured hip wasn't 73-year-old Farentino's only health problem -- he also suffered from heart disease, diabetes and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, a condition which makes it difficult to breathe.

Farentino rose to fame in the 1960s and became known for starring opposite Patty Duke in 1969's "Me, Natalie." He also became a TV favorite on shows like "Police Story" and "Dynasty."

May he rest in peace.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:27 am 
Prince Judah

This may strike some here as a strange post, as I'm presenting a song from another show - Game of Thrones, the TV show which is just now ending its 2nd season on HBO. If the show had been made in the late sixties, Heston would have been great as Eddard Stark, the main character of season one. But, I think this song fits the mood and character of The WAR LORD very well. If you listen to it, you may understand why I'm such a fan of this film; it and the song capture a sense of time and place long gone but still with us in some ways... in our dreams...

_____ Image

Last edited by Chrysagon on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:42 pm 
Prince Judah

It brought back so many remembrances of things past, for me-- my childhood days when I , in some rainy evening, under the trembling flame of a taper, reading Arthurian Romance, the Arabian Nights(or qusi-historical adventure stories from our medieval past, you are not likely to be familiar with that, Chrysagon-- but the 'medieval spirit' is more or less the same in all cultures, I believe, customs and nationality may be different), and during my adolescence, Sir Walter Scott's novels, Lady of Shalott and so on... those days are long gone, when a child's fancy was enough to be self-satisfied in its own world, without having to think of and struggle with a modernist reality.

I can sense fully well how this song captures the very mood of the Druid village and its War Lord, especially when "the rain o'er his castle" and "no one to hear". It can be a well-suited background score to that scene where Chrysagon rides out in rain, and finds the statue of Bronwyn pinned as a 'witch' by the superstitious villagers . The song seems to be written in the ballad-form, but the tune is strangely in keeping with the long-gone past as well as the bleak present. It is so touching but not nostalgic or sentimental, the singer's voice is both firm and realistic , yet it touches some inner cord.
Thank you, Knight, for posting this here.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:57 am 
Prince Judah

itsjudah24 wrote:
The song seems to be written in the ballad-form, but the tune is strangely in keeping with the long-gone past as well as the bleak present. It is so touching but not nostalgic or sentimental, the singer's voice is both firm and realistic , yet it touches some inner cord.
Thank you, Knight, for posting this here.

You're welcome, Judah. I'm glad you got so much out of it.
I can listen to this song all day. It somewhat relaxes me - though there's also some sadness & melancholy attached to it, which I'm sure is the case with most people who listen to it.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:25 pm 
Prince Judah

I said in an earlier post the THE WAR LORD is an unbiased portrayal of the Medieval Anglo-Norman world, it gives a crunchy sense of sadness for the world we have left far behind, yet it is very realistic. One important aspect to carry the point home is the portrayal of the dwarf. In canonical literature, dwarfs in Medieval and Renaissance courts are used as Fools (the greatly aestheticised Shakespearean Fool, for example), characters surcharged by ideas of festivity, ritual, a nostalgia for golden times, comic exuberance, or great wisdom concealed under apparent buffoonery. Never have I seen a dwarf portrayed in a villainish role, before I watched WAR LORD. He is a sort of foil to the antagonist Draco, and it is a bitter irony that he has to be shot to death by Draco. It is amazing how this little fellow plans to bite at the back of such an authoritative and able leader like Chrysagon. The whole subplot involving the Frisian boy is manipulated by this evil dwarf, until he dies.

I know this Man!

Post subject: "The War Lord" and missing footage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:16 am 
No Water For Me

In both his journals and autobiography Mr. Heston wrote about his frustration about the editing of the film "The War Lord". Unfortunately in neither publication does he say specifically what was cut. Has anyone in the Forums ever seen the answer to this question in any publication?

After seeing "The War Lord" over the years my guess is that the cuts made are at the end of the film. The beginning of the film is deliberately paced, and the ending wraps up quickly. The Rosemary Forsyth character disappears for a while (notably during the battle sequences); is there a missing scene or two featuring this character?

Answers and theories would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:46 am 
Astronaut

You've brought up an interesting point, Joots. I think there should have been one/two scenes before Draco's return from the Duke and his subsequent challenge against Chrysagon. It looks a bit ambiguous-- how has he got so much power suddenly? Yes he was rebellious and somewhat jealous of Chrysagon already, but something have surely passed between his departure and his return as an empowered man in charge of everything. Is it some conspiracy scene? I'm not sure...you see, here are fellows ready to answer and discuss such subjects, let's wait for those heroes of the forums!

I feel Bronwyn's disappearence during the battle scenes can be explained in feminist terms-- that medieval women are excluded from the realm of battle(in general) they only belongs to the romance, and no more.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:57 am 
Prince Judah

Interesting. I have not watched the movie for a long time, so I need to watch it again to participate in this discussion, for it requires a detailed and minute memory of every single scene and sequence.

I know this Man!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next