Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The War Lord
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:53 pm 
Prince Judah

Thank you, Cid. I think Chuck's character in this movie is not only of an emotionally repressed individual, but also of an embodiment of the entire period-- the 'emotionally repressed' Medieval age itself. It was a strange period of paradoxes... the idealised pinnacle of chivalry on the one hand, and a plethora of repressed erotic desire on the other, unquestionable loyalty to blood-relation, kinship and the feudal hierarchy at one extreme, and the naked face of conspiracy, jealousy and murderous thirst for a kinsman's blood at the other. The opportunistic orientations of the local priests, superstition and man's subjection to convention and at the same time , a tremendous urge to break away from convention, the clash between early-medieval Christianity and paganism--- all these are captured in the sweeping action of the 'War Lord'. Oh if this plot was fortunate enough to get a director like William Wyler!

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:31 am 
Prince Judah

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
If I remember "In The Arena" right, Heston told a funny story about a young man who kept sneaking onto location to watch them shoot. A young man who turned out to be Steven Spielberg.

Heston should have grabbed the kid by the scruff of the neck and said "You ever rip off my Harry Steele role from Secret of the Incas, I'll run thee through with this sword!" :harrysteele:

I was very impressed by the job director Schaffner did with the film and I'm not sure Wyler would have been better. I know Heston himself was very impressed with Wyler's work, but each and every film is unique, and The War Lord may have been better suited to Schaffner's sensibilities. He brought a kind of reality to the film so that I felt I was actually in it while watching, rather than being 'outside' it. It was the same thing with the next one, Planet of the Apes; it was a wild, sci-fi concept of a movie, but I always felt drawn inside the film, as if it was really happening, as with the medieval setting of The War Lord.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:53 pm 
Prince Judah

Oho, I didn't mean that Schaffner's direction was not good enough(please don't take it in that way, great Knight). But I have always felt that Chuck was robbed off another OSCAR for this role. And I think that Wyler's directorial orientation was very OSCAR-friendly... I mean the OSCAR-people liked his kind of work. That could have helped the use of the script, the making and the character to get the award it deserved. Of course I am not suggesting that the OSCAR is the only absolute touchstone to determine the merit of a movie or a role. It's only my own feeling, though.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:26 pm 
Prince Judah

This is strictly my personal overview on this matter... but I can't envision Heston getting an Oscar in the sixties under any circumstances (btw, I'm thinking of starting new threads which concentrate on each decade of Heston's career in an analysis format, which I think may be interesting; it would expand on the polls we have).

The reasons for my view are:
Heston won his Oscar as the fifties ended. In the vast majority of Hollywood cases, actors do not win 2nd Oscars. It's the exception, not the rule. That's strike one right there. In the sixties, Heston entered a new phase of his stardom; he was now top of the heap, almost like a man apart in the Hollywood hierarchy... there were Hollywood films with various stars and then there were Heston films. Whether it was envy or dislike of his authoritative stance on some things, I just can't see the Hollywood types 'rewarding' Heston with a 2nd Oscar in that decade. That's what those Oscar shows really are - a reward to various actors each year. While it's feasible for someone like Tom Hanks to win 2 Oscars (and in a row) because he was almost universally liked in the early nineties, Heston never bothered to ingratiate himself of play the standard Hollywood games. If he didn't like something, he said it.. instead of playing a game. That's all the political side of it, and some social customs, too.

So, while I think Heston should have been at least nominated for The War Lord or Khartoum, or even for Planet of the Apes, I think Hollywood looked at Heston as playing his own game, playing in his own tent and being on top of his own mountain. In a way, I guess he was sort of an iconoclast. Hollywood just couldn't bring themselves to give him another reward on top of all that -- rewarding someone who, essentially, did not kiss Hollywood's behind.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:36 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
This is strictly my personal overview on this matter... but I can't envision Heston getting an Oscar in the sixties under any circumstances (btw, I'm thinking of starting new threads which concentrate on each decade of Heston's career in an analysis format, which I think may be interesting; it would expand on the polls we have).

The reasons for my view are:
Heston won his Oscar as the fifties ended. In the vast majority of Hollywood cases, actors do not win 2nd Oscars. It's the exception, not the rule. That's strike one right there. In the sixties, Heston entered a new phase of his stardom; he was now top of the heap, almost like a man apart in the Hollywood hierarchy... there were Hollywood films with various stars and then there were Heston films. Whether it was envy or dislike of his authoritative stance on some things, I just can't see the Hollywood types 'rewarding' Heston with a 2nd Oscar in that decade. That's what those Oscar shows really are - a reward to various actors each year. While it's feasible for someone like Tom Hanks to win 2 Oscars (and in a row) because he was almost universally liked in the early nineties, Heston never bothered to ingratiate himself of play the standard Hollywood games. If he didn't like something, he said it.. instead of playing a game. That's all the political side of it, and some social customs, too.

So, while I think Heston should have been at least nominated for The War Lord or Khartoum, or even for Planet of the Apes, I think Hollywood looked at Heston as playing his own game, playing in his own tent and being on top of his own mountain. In a way, I guess he was sort of an iconoclast. Hollywood just couldn't bring themselves to give him another reward on top of all that -- rewarding someone who, essentially, did not kiss Hollywood's behind.

Interesting post, never thought of it that way, though that is pretty much how I envision Hollywood's behavior towards him later in his career when the roles didn't come his way.

I think you forgot Will Penny, he should have WON an Oscar for that role!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:43 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
...never thought of it that way, though that is pretty much how I envision Hollywood's behavior towards him later in his career when the roles didn't come his way.

I think you forgot Will Penny, he should have WON an Oscar for that role!

You're right :o - my diatribe was getting kind of long and I cut it off before thinking of Chuck's best role! :banghead:

But, you just made my point for me --- why else would Hollywood not even nominate him for WILL PENNY..? :-? :cowboy1:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:34 pm 
El Cid

When I went to see WILL PENNY at my local ABC cinema I was so bowled over by the sheer magnificence of Heston's performance that I went again the next evening as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:30 pm 
Prince Judah

Hail lords and ladies here, please cast a look : http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/cult_mo ... r_lord.htm

And this one is a 'contemporary' review, published in November 1965-- http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review? ... 838E679EDE

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:33 pm 
Prince Judah

It's strange how these things happen at times: very recently, I made a post on the role-playing thread revolving about characters from The WAR LORD, including the peasant lad who was dead, played by James Farentino, and, a week later - on January 24 - James Farentino died of heart failure at age 73. He was a good actor and had a fine career, though I always felt he never quite got the recognition due him... R.I.P. Mr. Farentino Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:49 pm 
Astronaut

Is it so? May God rest his soul.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next