Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:18 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Three Musketeers (1973)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:59 pm 
Astronaut

God, I have missed the opportunity... I saw the paper at 8.30 am as per the time in my country, and it started from 7 am! It was almost over then. But I have watched the video. Really, Heston's performance is notable even in a 2-3 minute glimpse. The way he is walking, limping and casting sideway glances shows how he has got into Richelieu's character. When I read the book, I was uttering(not loudly!) several curses to this characters, and while watching this clip, I have felt almost the same... and then I've been conscious,... My soul, whom I have been going to curse! Anyway, that proves the quality of acting.

However, the Gascon hero was not as impressive as he should be,--- but I can't judge the whole from a 5-minute clip...

Mr. 'Dracula' Lee is good as a villain, but his 'master' has outdone him!

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:42 pm 
Prince Judah

Yes, our time-zone does not always help us to keep up with what the War Lord circulate for us. That's a regret. I do not regret missing 'The Three Musketeers', though... for I watched it before, and in the morning I was too beset by works.

As for Tizzy's comment, I agree. But I would like to add something since you mention the 'glance'--- Chuck's use of eye-expression in that portion, and in other significant parts, too, makes me think of the theory of 'gaze', used in metanarrative art as an instrument of power. A straight gaze can be the classic weapon of a 'straight' and strong character, just as Hector looks at Achilles or the reverse, or why should we go that far? Just think of the Cid looking at the younger prince, at the coronation. But when one shrewd politician like Richelieu casts a glance, it is likely to be oblique, as if trying to say to the other character, "you are not even worthy of my straight gaze."

Personally, I consider such kinds of acting to be the highest proof of a performer's talent.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:49 pm 
Prince Judah

tizzyd wrote:
God, I have missed the opportunity... I saw the paper at 8.30 am as per the time in my country, and it started from 7 am! It was almost over then.

Yes, it's too bad -- I was busy the previous couple of days and only posted the information about the TCM airing about 4 hours before it began. :banghead: I was hoping at least 1 member might see it on time to make it worth it, but that probably didn't happen.

Interesting remarks about the power of the gaze in acting, Judah. Never thought much about that before, but you're right -- part of the reason Heston may have stood out among actors is that stare at appropriate moments, so prominent in his Richelieu character.

tizzyd wrote:
...the Gascon hero was not as impressive as he should be,--- but I can't judge the whole from a 5-minute clip...

This was very early in the story, before even D'Artagnan first arrives in the big city and meets the Musketeers. The central premise of the tale is how D'Artagnan goes from very naive young man to an experienced fighter and adventurer, able to confound the plans of Richelieu and his evil assistants. He learns quickly, for example, that Musketeers do have a sense of honor, but are not naive enough to let someone strike them from behind (a headache-inducing learning curve :lol: ). By the end of the 2nd film, The Four Musketeers, D'Artagnan has been promoted above even his fellow Musketeers, showing that he was destined to become, besides being a leader, the most famed and resourceful of the heroes.
______________________________ Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:13 am 
Michelangelo

In "The Films of Charlton Heston", Jeff Rovin wrote: p.214
Quote:
Heston is most impressive in his wig, moustache and goatee, with priestly red robes causing him to stand out majestically amongst the grime-laden garb of the Musketeers, as well as the pomp and frill of the royalty. Indeed, in his brilliant performance Heston mocks not only the straight-laced epic that The Three Musketeers has traditionally been, but parodies himself as well. :richelieu: Once or twice during the course of the film he strikes Moses-like poses that accent the pomposity of his character and, to a lesser extent,poke fun at Heston himself.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:30 am 
Prince Judah

I don't agree with everything Rovin wrote above; there were no Moses-like poses that I could see; the Richelieu character was very different from Moses, who stood very straight and even stiffly; Richelieu was always stooping slightly and walked with a limp. As for Heston possibly parodying or mocking his epic roles, that's a big assumption on Rovin's part. Everyone in the film was slightly winking at the audience - it's a romp - and Heston followed suit.

There is one scene towards the end, during a ball, when everyone is dressed in white and Heston strolls about as the Cardinal dressed in red, standing out from the crowd. In a behind-the-scenes featurette on the DVD, Heston pointed out this scene; he may have suggested it to director Lester; Lester really liked the idea of having the Cardinal be the anomaly in the crowd.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:32 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

The Richard Lester Musketeer films are among my favorites. I saw them when originally released, and have always found them to be the most faithful to the novel, albeit with some extra humor thrown in.

I watched them again recently as both have been released on Blu-ray by Optimum in the UK (I imported them from Amazon.UK). I've always thought Richelieu was one of Heston's best acting jobs. He truly disappears into the role. Even though he is something of a villain in the film, you were able to see that the intrigues in which Richelieu was involved were really in the interests of France the way CH played him.

BTW, the Optimum Blu-rays are not what I would call stellar; but there is certainly more detail than on the DVDs. However, none of the DVD extras were ported over.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:53 pm 
Prince Judah

I keep putting off getting a Blu-Ray player and 're-starting' my movie collecting, because I've got about 14 years invested in old DVD collecting; and, even though someone on another board swears by Blu-ray and thinks DVD is now a waste of everyone's time, your example of missing extras from The Three Musketeers blu-ray suggests that Blu-Ray is not an all-perfect option.

In any case, welcome to the Heston Forums, Mr. Bannon - you have the distinction of being the 50th member here and also bringing a little life to the place, as it's been pretty quiet here lately. I'm thinking there are a lot of Heston fans out there; the puzzle is... how to get them to find this board? I know Det. Thorn (the originator of this board) tries... but I think he wrote once that he finds Heston fans but they have no interest in participating in a discussion board. Oh, well... (a deep subject) :-?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:31 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Chrysagon, thanks for the welcome. I think it is tough to keep interest alive if one actor or director is the subject. Everybody posts something to a thread and it sort of lays there until something new happens, like a new video release. I used to be a member of an Orson Welles board, but it ran out of things to talk about; and it got too political.

I strongly recommend getting into Blu-ray. It is no longer terribly expensive; and the tradeup can be huge. The Musketeer Blu-rays don't have special features, but they look great. I just plan to keep the DVDs if I want to watch the special features. A great example is the frankly astonishing Ben-hur Blur-ray. I have a ton of DVDs, and I have upgraded many to Blu-ray. However, I do not feel compelled to replace ALL my DVDs. In fact, I recently picked up the Heston versions of A Man For All Seasons, The War Lord (a region 2 import) and Treasue Island on DVD; and I order Warner Archive DVDs.

I should receive the Region B Blu-ray of Touch of Evil in a week or so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:24 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
In any case, welcome to the Heston Forums, Mr. Bannon - you have the distinction of being the 50th member here and also bringing a little life to the place, as it's been pretty quiet here lately. I'm thinking there are a lot of Heston fans out there; the puzzle is... how to get them to find this board? I know Det. Thorn (the originator of this board) tries... but I think he wrote once that he finds Heston fans but they have no interest in participating in a discussion board. Oh, well... (a deep subject) :-?

I don't remember saying something like that :o I think it's hard to get people in general to participate in a discussion board. Out of those you do get to sign up, a lot will sign up never to post or just post once or twice then never return. With that said I think this small forum has a respectable amount of members who both reads and participates in the discussions we're having here :sherlock:

Getting a bit off-topic here, so let me just welcome you to the forums, Ed Bannon! :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:21 am 
Prince Judah

Right Thorn, people do not want to be active in discussion... they would rather sit and watch. I have also been trying to push two good persons into our forums, but they just assure me, "well, yeah, ugh...will try soon".

My welcome to Ed Bannon, too.

And I have found some sites on 'The Three Musketeers', here are the links. One of them is concerned chiefly with the fight scenes and the art of fencing... but there is not much about Chuck's performance inparticular.

http://blackholereviews.blogspot.com/2011/11/three-musketeers-1973-and-four.html

http://evilelitest.blogspot.com/2008/12/i-feel-little-sad-to-watch-old-movies.html

http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/cult_movies/musketeers.htm

I know this Man!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next