Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:07 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Ten Commandments
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:15 am 
Call Me Harry

You know, a lot of Chuck's roles prior to this had him playing tough, cynical men as seen in films like "Arrow Head" and "The Greatest Show On Earth" - a type he would play again and again in films like "The Big Country" and "Planet Of the Apes" - while here he plays the [mostly] wise, noble hero. Could this in effect be seen as an example of "playing against type"?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:34 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I think it probably can, El-Cid. Never really thought of it as such, but it's a fair point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:36 pm 
Prince Judah

Yeah, but it is even more interesting that later in Chuck's career this 'breaking of type' became a new and more prominent type-- the kind of epic-heroic roles with which he is generally associated. As it is said, in the breaking of every order, there lies the germ of creating a new.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:20 pm 
Astronaut

A comics-art like rendering of the personalities who made the epic possible, all together:

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:33 am 
Cheating Bastard

Once said of Roy Orbison, "Roy doesn't make songs. He makes epic songs". Same can said of Charlton Heston, "Mr Heston doesn't just make movies. He makes movies epic" ;) :punch: :mrgreen: :!:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:23 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

ch1 wrote:
Once said of Roy Orbison, "Roy doesn't make songs. He makes epic songs". Same can said of Charlton Heston, "Mr Heston doesn't just make movies. He makes movies epic" ;) :punch: :mrgreen: :!:

So true :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:22 pm 
Prince Judah

Similarly, "He does not play great characters. He becomes them."

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:10 am 
Call Me Harry

tizzyd wrote:
A comics-art like rendering of the personalities who made the epic possible, all together:

Nice.

So I went and saw "Exodus", and I thought it was a decent effort even if it didn't have the old school Cecil B. DeMille charm to it. The SFX looked great on the big screen & they can obvious go a lot further these days with showing just how painful the plagues inflicted on Egypt actually were, but there are times where you can sense all too easily that scenes, possibly important ones, were left on the cutting room floor.

Speaking of DeMille I recently got a book on his life, "Empire of Dreams", for my birthday a few weeks back. Not sure when I'll get around to reading it, I'm currently reading "Burt Lancaster: An American Life" by Kate Buford, I'm on the last two chapters but they're so long that they're basically 4 or 5 chapters within themselves, and after I finished with it I was thinking I'd do some lighter reading for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:51 am 
Prince Judah

Great. Waiting to hear something interesting from you, when you will happen to finish the 'Empire of Dreams'.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:46 am 
Call Me Harry

[quote="itsjudah24"]Great. Waiting to hear something interesting from you, when you will happen to finish the 'Empire of Dreams'.

I haven't even started it yet; I'm still working my way through the last lap of the Burt Lancaster bio. I'll be sure to drop whatever info from the book I find interesting. One I already knew about from years ago is that DeMille strongly disliked Victor Mature, who played Samson in DeMille's 1949 blockbuster "Samson & Delilah" since Mature apparently was a man of many fears & phobias despite his stocky physique. In addition to refusing to wrestle a tame, toothless circus lion he reportedly ran away from the set where they filmed the big "jaw bone of an ***" battle when a wind machine malfunctioned and kicked up a huge storm, which prompted DeMille to humiliate Mature by getting on his speaker phone & calling him "100% yellow" to the cast & crew (DeMille notoriously disliked actors who were not willing to take risks for their art).

Back to the movie at hand, has anyone ever noticed that Moses never actually kisses his wife Sephora on screen? He holds her hand towards the end of the film but we never actually see them kiss.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next