Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Private War of Major Benson
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:13 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Jerry Hopper
Production year: 1955
Starring: Charlton Heston, Julie Adams, William Demarest

Plot:

A Major noted for advancing with his mouth before thinking is given a choice: to be drummed out of the Army, or take command of and shape up the ROTC program at Sheridan Academy before it fails its next inspection. At Sheridan he encounters three hundred pre-teen cadets who range from rascally to adorable, and a female doctor who has just the right prescription for him.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: The Private War of Major Benson
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:23 pm 
Cheating Bastard

LOVED CHUCK IN THIS....... THE MAN " AND I MEAN THE MAN", CAN ACT....................

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:51 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Still need to see this. Damn it, where's the DVD already?! I watched the trailer and laughed my *** off. Chuck could be funny as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:07 pm 
Marabunta

I've seen this movie on TV more than once and it is totally different from what Charlton Heston usually did. It has very humorus parts to it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:23 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I read on IMDb that the child actor in this passed movie passed away at the rather young age of 44. He hadn't been acting since the late 50's. The cause of death was apparently a drug overdose. It's always sad to hear things like that.

Post subject: The Times review
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:42 pm 
El Cid

The Times. Monday, July 25 1955.
Gaumont - "The Private War of Major Benson".

Major Benson (risen from the ranks) is a fire-eater, a soldier of the old school, a disciplinarian who believes in driving men up to the limits of their powers and then beyond them, but what is the private war he wages?
Does the title pretend at psychological subtlety, and is the war one against his own intolerant nature? Perhaps, but when the film is not serious; it is a comedy which, apart from a tendency to go far too long, makes a tolerable success out of material, which, for an English audience, is unpromising to a degree.
Benson, in disgrace for his outspoken opinions, finds himself in charge of a military school which seems the stuff of purest fantasy. It is for boys of six to 15, and it is though Sandhurst had turned itself into a nightmare combination of preparatory school and kindergarten. What is more, there is a woman doctor (Miss Julie Andrews) on the premises, and to add a final to the whimsical pattern the film is intent on forming, the youngest cadet (Tim Hovey) turns out to be an urchin who does not know his left foot from his right and has difficulty in keeping his trousers up. Every move in the film's developement can be foreseen, but the sentimentality, although overpoweringly American, manages, some horrific moments apart, to avoid sickliness, and Mr. Charlton Heston makes Benson something more than a stock figure, a lifeless caricature.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:56 am 
El Cid

I have just watched an episode of IRONSIDE which featured a guest appearence by Julie Adams and Abraham Sofaer. Julie Adams was really beautiful and a very good actress, I wonder why she didn't have a bigger career?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:19 pm 
El Cid

Further to the review I posted from "The Times", It amuses me that the reviewer made the freudian slip of calling Julia Adams "Julie Andrews", especially since Julie Andrews made a movie a decade later that featured a martinet and nuns. Weird or what?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:40 am 
Cheating Bastard

:thumbsup: This movie was one of Charlton's best. A good pairing with Heston and Timmy Hovey. Fine performances from all the performers in this family film of Charlton's. :D

Last edited by ch1 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:13 pm 
Michelangelo

In 1956:
Nominated Oscar Best Writing, Motion Picture Story (Joe Connelly, Bob Mosher)

:thumbsup: