Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: The President's Lady
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:12 am 
Prince Judah

itsjudah24 wrote:
I wish they upload the entire movie in parts, in the youtube. It deserves such a wide circulation.

...in parts? How about the whole thing?
Yes, now you can watch the whole film:

I think I will check this out because it doesn't seem like a DVD release of this is coming out anytime soon.
(of course, anytime I point something like this out about a Heston film, it gets released a couple of months later) :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:35 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
(of course, anytime I point something like this out about a Heston film, it gets released a couple of months later) :roll:

Then thanks in advance for making it a reality in just a few months :D

Awesome find, BTW. I'll have to check it out as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:51 pm 
Marabunta

It is about time as it has always been one of my favsss!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:10 pm 
Prince Judah

[quote="Chrysagon...in parts? How about the whole thing?
Yes, now you can watch the whole film:

I think I will check this out because it doesn't seem like a DVD release of this is coming out anytime soon.
(of course, anytime I point something like this out about a Heston film, it gets released a couple of months later) :roll:[/quote]

Behold his mighty prophetic power!

Knight, I don't know how to thank you for the full video of this gem of a movie... but again, my inability to watch it on the whole, due to no broadband connection and only a slow-enough modem. If it was in parts, it could be easier for my youtube downloader to get the whole thing...I know, that is a selfish thought. I hope others will now be able to enjoy it.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:06 am 
Prince Judah

Maybe you aren't missing much in this case, Judah.
I should warn everyone ahead of time that this video above of The President's Lady is a rather strange version. Other commenters on YouTube have mentioned how they get seasick watching it. That's because there are some odd shifts and zoom-ins throughout the feature. I checked out the first 15 minutes and (again, based on those comments) assume it's the same for the whole feature. To me, it looks as if someone placed a video camera to record the movie, with the camera lens set on automatic to adjust itself everytime the scene in the film changes in some way. So, it's constantly zooming in slightly or zooming out, with the result that there's this slight movement to the picture for the whole time. :-?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:12 pm 
Prince Judah

Well, then, my pain is lessened. Nice to see you after so many days, knight.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:44 am 
Astronaut

I watched the movie the day before yesterday, and all I can say is it is a less known gem of Heston's earlier works.I have read critics saying that it does not reflect the true ethos of American history in Andrew Jackson's time, and instead remains limited in silly romantic pranks of a domestic life. May be. To watch a biopic is not to ensure that you must gain from it a great and meticulous knowledge of the period concerned, or of each and every aspect of the character. If 'The President's Lady' focuses on the private life of a famus person, showing him as a husband and man of integrity, let's concentrate on that aspect only, without trying to look beyond what is shown. I won't venture into analysing how far Heston has become 'President Jackson', rather I would say that I have watched a man of dignity, courage, honour, with an admirable and steadfast love for his wife, suffering from and fighting with the scandal-business in an unfeeling society. That's all very touching and convincing to me, no matter the man concerned is named Andrew Jackson, who later becomes the President, or any other man with any name and affiliation. Heston's acting shows all the qualities of a troubled life, especially when troubles come from outside, and the centre remains pure but tormented.

This is a remarkable example of Heston's 'psycological' acting, where he tells through his expressions, gestures, moves, looks, and body language what is going on in the mind of the character. Now brooding, now angry, now calmed, now determined, now caring, now sad-- he shows the depth and range of emotions that constitutes a man's private life.

One of my favourite scenes is the one where Jackson tries to save the boat and Rachel from the pirates' attack, throwing the huge bundles of cotton in the river, fighting the fire with his coat and so on. As we are familiar with Heston's heroic roles, we may think what's new in it-- this man does heroic scenes well all the time. But here heroism is not important at all, it's a desperate and honest attempt to ensure the safety of Rachel. It comes from love and a caring nature, the physical action is just secondary.

Another very touching scene comes when Old Jackson, a cross between a dutiful father, husband and son-- all in one, feeds his ailing wife slowly helping her to gulp the soup. An image of enduring love and affection which no death or scandal can take away. After his wife dies in his arms, Jackson's vacant stare through the window, and then crouching down and breaking into tears is a great moment of acting, it shows the emotional strength of the actor.

Only one thing in Heston's acting seems a bit unconvincing to me... and it's towards the end. Hearing a cry of pain from Mrs. Jackson, her husband runs upstairs and finds her unconscious on the floor. Heston pauses for a moment... shocked... fine. Then he kneels and swings Susan Hayward up in his arms...is it so easy for an old man of white hair, to lift a body and carry it to bed, within a few seconds? It is only at that moment I became conscious of that a young man is playing the old Jackson. Otherwise, throughout the later part of the movie, Heston gets very well into the old man's character.

Susan Hayward is beyond my ability to praise as Rachel Jackson, she is one of the few ladies with whom Heston's onscreen chemistry is so charming(the other two being Haya Harareet and Eleanor Parker). She is great in the scene where Rachel is pleading to Jackson not to go to fight the duel for her sake. A wonderful mixture of emotions- love for her husband, an wounded feeling of her own honour and also fear of loss and insecurity. Her qualities as an actress show up again in the scene when she returns home, unsteady, humiliated, troubled and lost in the crowd who opposes her husband's presidential claim openly insulting their domestic life, calling her a 'prostitute'. Barely saved from an accident with a carriage, she stops and breaks down, carrying all the audiences' heart towards herself, in sympathy.

She also excels in her comic moments within a serious role. Foe example, learning from Jackson how to smoke and ending up in coughing and laughing, or fanning herself proudly as an answer to the arrogance of the other elegant ladies in society. She has a good supporting co-actress in the character of the Afro-American housemaid, the lifelong companion to the Jacksons, very important in her brief but worthy role.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:20 pm 
El Cid

tizzyd wrote:
Susan Hayward is beyond my ability to praise as Rachel Jackson, she is one of the few ladies with whom Heston's onscreen chemistry is so charming (the other two being Haya Harareet and Eleanor Parker)

I would certainly add Julie Adams, Jane Wyman and Janet Leigh to those two as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:49 am 
Call Me Harry

Just watched this last week and found it to be a solid film. Chuck plays Jackson with the kind of larger than life swagger and charisma befitting to Jackson and he is well matched by Susan Hayward as Rachel. Their chemistry together is key to getting the audience to root for the long suffering couple, and you can't help feeling heart broken for Jackson at the end when Rachel passes away, and he must content himself with the memories of their life together.

Now if I can get my hands on "The Buccaneer"...