Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Pigeon That Took Rome (1962)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:35 pm 
Michelangelo

[Image

Director: Melville Shavelson
Writers: Melville Shavelson, Donald Downes (novel)
Music: Alessandro Cicognini
Cinematography: Daniel L. Fapp
Editor: Frank Bracht

Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Release date(s) 20 June 1962
Running time 103 mins.

Cast:
Charlton Heston ... Captain Paul MacDougall / Benny the Snatch / Narrator
Elsa Martinelli ... Antonella Massimo
Harry Guardino ... Sgt. Joseph Contini
Salvatore Baccaloni ... Ciccio Massimo
Marietto ... Livio Massimo
Gabriella Pallotta ... Rosalba Massimo
Brian Donlevy ... Col. Sherman Harrington
Arthur Shields ... Monsignor O'Toole
Rudolph Anders ... Col. Wilhelm Krafft
Vadim Wolkowsky ... Conte Danesi

Five Normations:
Academy Awards (1963)
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Black-and-White
(Hal Pereira, Roland Anderson, Samuel M. Comer, Frank R. McKelvy) (nominated)

Golden Globe Awards (1963)
Best Motion Picture Actor - Musical/Comedy (Charlton Heston, nominated)
Best Supporting Actor (Harry Guardino, nominated)
Best Supporting Actress (Gabriella Pallotta, nominated)

Writers Guild of America Awards (1963)
Best Written American Comedy (Melville Shavelson, nominated)

Plot:
(Details:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pigeon_That_Took_Rome)
Quote:
In 1944, during the last stages of the war in Europe, American officers Paul MacDougall (Heston) and Joseph Contini (Guardino) are sent to Italy to act as spies for the Allies, even though they have no experience in espionage. Working with Partisan resistance soldier Ciccio Massimo (Baccaloni), MacDougall and Contini send regular reports to their superiors by carrier pigeon. Contini also finds himself falling in love with Massimo's pregnant daughter Rosalba (Pallotta), while her sister Antonella (Martinelli) has her eye on MacDougall. Contini proposes to Rosalba, and Ciccio prepares a feast to celebrate his daughter's upcoming wedding. However, Ciccio prepares squab for the occasion, killing all but one of the carrier pigeons. Ciccio scrambles to replace them, but the new pigeons he finds are German, and they deliver MacDougall and Contini's messages directly into enemy hands.

:cheers:

Last edited by CHfan2010 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Pigeon That Took Rome (1962)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:42 pm 
Michelangelo

Articles (from tcm.com)
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/4788/The-Pigeon-That-Took-Rome/articles.html
Quote:
Charlton Heston takes an unexpectedly comic turn in the 1962 sleeper, The Pigeon That Took Rome. In it, Heston plays Paul MacDougall, an American soldier during World War II who is sent to Nazi-occupied Rome to be a spy for the Allies. While staying in the home of a local Italian family, MacDougall uses carrier pigeons to transport messages back and forth to the Allies. When a terrible mishap takes most of the birds out of commission, however, MacDougall must find a way to replace them or else jeopardize the outcome of the war.....

:sherlock: :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:37 am 
Call Me Harry

ARGH, this is one of those Heston films that's impossible to find on DVD. Proper DVD anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:10 am 
Prince Judah

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
ARGH, this is one of those Heston films that's impossible to find on DVD. Proper DVD anyway.

Yes, I've got one of those 'improper' DVDs - a DVD-R - which I'd purchased on E-Bay about 3 years ago. As one might surmise, the picture quality is pretty poor and I think I only watched half of it before ejecting it. I may finish it, though, as there's still no official DVD out there and this never plays on TV. :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:29 pm 
El Cid

It can't be as bad as the unofficial dvd I bought of THE BUCCANEER, Chrysagon!
I saw TPTTR when I was 10 years old at the ABC cinema in Lincoln. I remember being bitterly disappointed that it was in b/w, but recall Heston making a joke about Moses in the film, but can't remember much else.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:50 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I really hope this hits DVD one of these days. There are too many Heston movies that still haven't gotten a proper release. I never buy DVD-R's, but in some cases it seems like I have to at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:38 am 
Prince Judah

James Byrne wrote:
I saw TPTTR when I was 10 years old at the ABC cinema in Lincoln. I remember being bitterly disappointed that it was in b/w, but recall Heston making a joke about Moses in the film, but can't remember much else.

God, is it so? 'Moses' joking about 'Moses'... he must have uttered it biting his tongue! Anyway, if in this movie Chuck is in a comic role, that is something.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:55 pm 
Michelangelo

EL-CID-1983 wrote:

Indeed! I also don't understand why! :?:
It got 1 Oscar nomination, 3 Golden Globe nominations and 1 WGA nomination. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:31 am 
Prince Judah

James Byrne wrote:

I started to watch this one again - it's a DVD-R which is basic VHS-quality picture (I was also surprised that it's in b&w).
Early in the film, Heston as the army captain/Benny the Snatch :-? gets himself cleaned up and shaved; he's narrating at this point and says he "looked like something out of the Ten Commandments." I don't really get the joke because he just shaved, so I guess he's talking about a young Moses. Or.. it's reverse humor - Moses is known for being bearded so it's funny in the sense that he just got rid of a beard while saying this. It's kind of forced humor - like someone talked Heston into saying this - but it still made me chuckle. I think Heston was having fun at this point in his career - this is just after EL CID and he was one of the biggest stars at this point and enjoying himself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:41 pm 
Prince Judah

Well, why don't we have fun , then. We're his followers! Hey, let's make a list of 'who-is-known-for-what'-- Moses for his beard, the Cid for his golden-brown hair and later for his scar, Chrysagon for his --ahem-- speicial hairstyle, Harry Steele for his stubbles and hat, Richelieu for his limping and his shrewd eyes... and Judah for what? I leave it to the others' thought.

I know this Man!