Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:51 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Oscars 2014
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:44 am 
Prince Judah

It's been a while since the last thread/post on the Oscars (2011! - wow!) and Thorn said that he always watches these, so thought I'd mention the latest Oscars, which are on right now. They're about halfway through at the moment. These are a little less predictable this year - not due to the nominees, but because of the antics of host Ellen Degeneres, who seems to be winging it and making stuff up as she goes along. She just ordered pizza to be delivered to the ceremonies and handed out slices to a bunch of the seated stars. They also suddenly took an unplanned 'selfie' picture, jamming as many of the stars into one picture as they could - it went off to twitter right away; can you name all the stars?:
___________________ Image

one thing to mention - the lady on the far right who is blocked by a guy in front of her is none other than Angelina Jolie..!

Post subject: Re: The Oscars 2014
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:38 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Wow, not since 2011? That's odd. Oh well, I watched it this year again, though this time through a horrible stream that kept buffering on and off during the entire show, sometime just when they announce a winner. Annoying as hell, but waddayagonna do. I enjoyed it as I always do, Ellen is always amusing to me.

Haven't seen a lot of the nominated films, but I'm catching 12 Years a Slave tomorrow, actually.

I especially enjoyed seeing Chuck in Ben-Hur in a small clip when they had that montage of screen heroes, or whatever they called it. Surprised me a bit, too. I bet some of the liberal audience were shocked and appalled *cougs*Jim Carrey*coughs*

Another thing I was pleasantly surprised with was seeing Sidney Poitier in the audience and as one of the presenters. It was to celebrate the 50 years that has passed since he as the first black actor went on to win Best Leading Actor for Lilies of the Field in 1964. It is a bit eerie because I'm hosting a movie night over at my place in just two weeks where the theme is - Sidney Poitier. We're watching Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, In the Heat of the Night and Shoot to Kill.

I felt a bit sorry for Leo DiCaprio who again lost out on an Oscar. However, Matthew McConaughey's speech is one of the best I've ever witnessed at these ceremonies. All in all a pleasant evening.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:18 pm 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
Haven't seen a lot of the nominated films, but I'm catching 12 Years a Slave tomorrow, actually.

The only one I've seen is Gravity. I don't go to theaters much anymore; I wait for the DVD or watch on an HD Channel on TV. I'm impressed with Sandra Bullock; she used to be simply a charming girl on the big screen; she's matured into a fine actress.

Detective Thorn wrote:
I especially enjoyed seeing Chuck in Ben-Hur in a small clip when they had that montage of screen heroes, or whatever they called it. Surprised me a bit, too. I bet some of the liberal audience were shocked and appalled *cougs*Jim Carrey*coughs*
Yeah, Carrey was one of the presenters early on - I automatically got uncomfortable when he appeared; he gives me the creeps nowadays, for reasons I'm sure you know. A shame, too - because that wasn't always the case.

Detective Thorn wrote:
Another thing I was pleasantly surprised with was seeing Sidney Poitier in the audience and as one of the presenters. It was to celebrate the 50 years that has passed since he as the first black actor went on to win Best Leading Actor for Lilies of the Field in 1964. It is a bit eerie because I'm hosting a movie night over at my place in just two weeks where the theme is - Sidney Poitier. We're watching Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, In the Heat of the Night and Shoot to Kill.

The Academy seems to always plan for at least one of the really old legends to make an appearance; I was reminded of Kirk Douglas because that was the last one we discussed, back in 2011 I'm sure. I immediately thought of the movie Shoot to Kill for some reason, maybe because I watched it again a couple of months ago. Though it was late in his career, Poitier was still in an action role in that film and in good shape. He looked pretty fragile at the Oscars (he's 87 I think); it looked like the lady he presented with needed to help him to walk. Though it's always interesting to see these legends again, it's also a bit sad to see them so obviously near the end of their run.

Detective Thorn wrote:
I felt a bit sorry for Leo DiCaprio who again lost out on an Oscar. However, Matthew McConaughey's speech is one of the best I've ever witnessed at these ceremonies.

Well, I can't feel too sorry for DiCaprio; he's had an incredible career so far - better even than most other stars - and he has about 30 more years ahead of him, barring accident; so I'm sure he'll win one in the next few years. McConaughey's speech was the best; he sometimes comes across like a doofus to me in real life, but he has heart - it was genuine and not faked. I've been watching him in the short HBO TV series True Detective for the past few weeks (it ends on this upcoming Sunday). He really does have talent; some of his scenes in that series were groundbreaking for TV.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:49 pm 
Prince Judah

Though I'm not an expert on the current crop of stars, I'll try to list the stars in this already-famous photo from the Oscars (the picture broke the twitter record of re-tweets yesterday - 3 million - and crashed the system, I hear). Here's how they line up, left to right; (hope I have this right):

on the far left, only half his head in the picture, is Jared Leto, best supporting actor winner for Dallas Buyers Club; next to him is Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games); then Channing Tatum in back; Meryl Streep; Julia Roberts in back; host Ellen Degeneres; Kevin Spacey in back; Bradley Cooper in front; Brad Pitt in back; best supporting actress Lupita Nyong'o in back; her brother in front, and he is blocking out Angelina Jolie - he's the only non-star in the picture, grabbing an opportunity to jump into movie history :lol:
________________________________ Image

Here's a shot of the same people from a higher, wider angle, where-in you can see everyone (well, except Channing Tatum):

______________________________________________ Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:13 pm 
Marabunta

HEY ALL,

Saw all the films except "12 Years A Slave" and not for any other reason is that when it was in the theatre I kept missing it. My very 2 favs this season was "Nebraska" and "The Dallas Buyers Club" although imo they were all deserving..Just the way it seems today. Except I still hold it against them that they didn't give the award to Mickey Roarke for "The Wrestler", it was his year!! Sean Penn was great in "MILK" but it was Mickey's award..LOL

DT, I agree with you about the Oscars and Hollywood being liberal sometimes to their own detriment and I can say that as I too am more liberal than conservative. BUT the whole Heston thing was a shame and because he was stopped being judged on the quality of his work and instead judged on his political views. AND being a conservative in Hollywood these days does prevent you from getting work based on your politics and not your artistic talent. I remember watching the Michael Moore movie about Columbine and yes much of what he showed was truthful but his going to Heston's home with cameras and ambushing this good man was a travesty. AND I have many liberal friends who felt the same way. You could see how blindsided he was. I would agree that he and I would not have agreed and may have had some hones debate but I LOVED him as an actor. I have theeeeeeeee most lib daughter and when she watched "Ben Hur" with me as I have shared with you before she said "Mom to bad his politics did him in." OK I am off my soap box..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
McConaughey's speech was the best; he sometimes comes across like a doofus to me in real life, but he has heart - it was genuine and not faked. I've been watching him in the short HBO TV series True Detective for the past few weeks (it ends on this upcoming Sunday). He really does have talent; some of his scenes in that series were groundbreaking for TV.

I've heard great things about that show. It's HBO and stars both him and Woody Harrelson, plus it has an impressive 9.5 on IMDb. I usually don't put much weight on IMDb ratings but I find that on TV-shows they seem more accurate than when it comes to movies.

I don't think it's begun airing in Sweden yet, but I'll probably just buy it when it comes out.

Rita: I watched 12 Years a Slave the other day and it was a powerful movie, so much so that I don't see myself watching it anytime in the near future despite liking it a lot. It was quite brutal, pulled no punches. I can see why in the US it has been decided that it will be mandatory viewing in schools.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:04 pm 
Marabunta

DT when "True Detective" is shown in Sweden DO NOT MISS IT!!!!!!!!! It is extraordinary. like watching an 8 hour movie. The whole 8 episodes have the same writer and the same director, and the acting...whoa!!! pretty damn brilliant imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXwCoNwBSkQ

I am seriously thinking of watching "12 Years Slave" on demand tonight. Friends who have seen it pretty much said the very same thing as you. But I do want to see it.