Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:24 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Naked Jungle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:21 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I would never personally call it a sci-fi, it's an adventure movie in my eyes. Like you said, most movies of this kind exaggerate and make up things and we can't call all of them science fiction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:09 pm 
El Cid

Agreed. The first time I read that THE NAKED JUNGLE was being classified as a Sci-Fi movie was in a book I was reading in the 1960's. Don't ask me the title or the author of the book because its too long ago. I actually laughed at the authors mistake and thought to myself that it was a ridiculous thing to classify an obvious adventure movie as Sci-Fi. Lo and behold, on at least three other occasions I have read that THE NAKED JUNGLE is a "1950's Sci-Fi classic" which baffled me each time.

How on earth can TNJ be called Sci-Fi/Fantasy? Everything that happens in the movie can be considered 'normal' occurrences - and its set in the past - not the future.

Why isn't SOYLENT GREEN considered to be a horror movie, then? Human beings are being turned into biscuits for mass consumption - which is indeed horrific. Imagine eating your Mother-in-Law with a cup of coffee!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:52 am 
Prince Judah

James Byrne wrote:
Everything that happens in the movie can be considered 'normal' occurrences...

Really, James? :D I wouldn't go that far... even in the context of the film's story, the events are a bit unusual (happens - maybe - only every 20 years). When I saw this film as a kid, the whole scenario struck me as a bit abnormal, on the fantastically bizarre side. However, I tend to agree with you guys simply for how the film's events just do not veer into the utterly fantastic far enough.

A couple of films further in cinema's future which are actually more similar to The Naked Jungle's premise haven't been mentioned yet. The first one is the aptly named Ants! a.k.a. It Happened at Lakewood Manor, a TV movie from 1977. In that story, a larger-than-usual ant nest plagues an old hotel. Going by fading memory, a couple of people are eventually killed by the ants, including a lady played by the just-turned-star Suzanne Somers. It was in no way sci-fi; it would be classified, probably, as a horror-thriller, mild because it was a TV production. The other film is Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, due to the now infamous sequence involving large soldier ants, in which they carry one villain down into their nest. This film is also an adventure, not sci-fi (even with the aliens stuff at the end), though the cartoon-like ants veer the film slightly into fantasy.

So - there is the evidence: the two later films that most resemble The Naked Jungle's threat are not sci-fi. There were also at least a couple of films about dangerous ants in recent years which played on the SyFy Channel. The two I'm familiar with (slightly) are called The Hive and Marabunta. These films did take the ant threat into sci-fi directions (super-intelligent ants which form, as an example, tendrils composed of interlocked ants - with help from modern CGI FX). And there is the difference: these films, such as Marabunta - which took the title name directly from The Naked Jungle it seems - took the Naked Jungle's concept and molded it into a (silly) sci-fi premise. But, the source - The Naked Jungle - is not really sci-fi.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:11 pm 
Prince Judah

Besides being an adventure-movie, it can also be called a movie on colonial history, though in a very subtle sense. White man in South America, fighting the odds of unfamiliar nature, the terrors of a vast forest-land which all the time threatens to crush his small piece of 'civilisation' around his building and plantation. Though Leiningen himself is a good master and does not treat his workers as slaves, there is another figure of a plantation owner who represents, though briefly, the general attitude of the white miners, landowners and businessmen who were very much a part of colonial reality in the South American, or African contexts at the beginning of the 20th century.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:45 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James informed us that Eleanor Parker, Heston's leading lady in The Naked Jungle, passed away yesterday.

R.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:03 pm 
El Cid

Detective Thorn wrote:
James informed us that Eleanor Parker, Heston's leading lady in The Naked Jungle, passed away yesterday.

R.I.P.

Rest in Peace, Eleanor Parker. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS held the record for the longest cinema run in my hometown Lincoln, only to be broken by THE SOUND OF MUSIC ten years later. Eleanor Parker was great as the Baroness, but I liked her better in THE NAKED JUNGLE, VALLEY OF THE KINGS and DETECTIVE STORY (which starred Kirk Douglas - who turned 97 the day Eleanor died).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:04 pm 
Michelangelo

Detective Thorn wrote:

R.I.P.

R.I.P. Ms. Eleanor Parker
:( :(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain ... story.html
Quote:

Eleanor Parker, Oscar-nominated actress and baroness in ‘Sound of Music,’ dies at 91

Eleanor Parker, an actress of patrician beauty nicknamed “the woman of a thousand faces”for the range of parts she played, from a terrified prisoner in “Caged” to the icy baroness in “The Sound of Music,” died Dec. 9 at a medical facility near her home in Palm Springs, Calif. She was 91.
“The piano you're sitting at was never played before you came here,” Heston says at one point.

“If you knew more about music,” she says, “you'd know that a piano is better when it's played.”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:13 pm 
Prince Judah

It is very sad to hear the news. Rest in Peace, madam.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:58 am 
Cheating Bastard

Is Heston's character meant to be autistic in this movie? Or just nervous around women?

*RIP Eleanor Parker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:17 pm 
El Cid

GeorgeForeman69 wrote:
Is Heston's character meant to be autistic in this movie? Or just nervous around women?

*RIP Eleanor Parker

I think you shouldn't have used that word to describe Leiningen. Very inappropriate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next