Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Naked Jungle
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:17 am 
Prince Judah

That's good news, indeed. I always loved the wild and unusual soundtrack of the movie. It is really captivating, and emotional in appropriate scenes(such as the romance-scenes). Quite 'elemental' soundtrack.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:22 pm 
El Cid

I love vintage newspaper reviews. I found these on the Eleanor Parker website. It's a pity that they didn't put the exact date on, though, one reports that Heston had just come back from visiting Peru for SECRET OF THE INCAS.

http://eleanor-parker.blogspot.co.uk/se ... n%20Heston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:56 pm 
Astronaut

The poster is wonderful... and I have never seen a better summary of 2-3 lines on a poster. Whoever designed it, he/she seems to have understood the movie and the depth of the characters very well.

Thanks so much for the link.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:47 pm 
El Cid

Yes, tizzyd, its a very sensuous poster, but I think the artist made Charlton Heston resemble Burt Lancaster too much.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:45 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Very true, James! That looks an awful lot like Burt Lancaster.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:40 pm 
Astronaut

May be... but the nose. That's Heston's, indeed.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:57 am 
El Cid

tizzyd wrote:

The more I look .... the more I see only Burt Lancaster, not Chuck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:45 am 
Cheating Bastard

Just checked out Turner Classic Movies website...tcm.com......they have "The Naked Jungle" on DVD for $20 right now!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:43 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

General Gordon wrote:
Just checked out Turner Classic Movies website...tcm.com......they have "The Naked Jungle" on DVD for $20 right now!

Has it previously been OOP and gotten very expensive on eBay, Amazon and such?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:02 pm 
Prince Judah

On another thread, Ranking Heston's Sci-Fi Films, James Byrne mentioned that The Naked Jungle was at times listed in reference books on science fiction films. In reply,
Judah wrote:
Strange! What could be those books' reason for considering THE NAKED JUNGLE as a Science-fiction movie?

I don't know of the books, but some time ago, on another board (called All Sci-Fi), the admin there started a thread on The Naked Jungle in which he explained it this way:
Quote:
What? You don't think this movie is science fiction?
Well, I've never heard anybody call it that, but I can make a strong case for the idea.

The plot is based on the idea that down in sunny South America there lives a strange and dangerous species of ants which the jungle natives called Marabunta. This is, in fact, absolutely true. However, that's as far as the truth goes. This movie presents the idea that Marabunta is a species of ants which, every 20 years, spew out of their nests by the billions and swarm over the land, creating a path of destruction twenty miles wide, eating everything in their path -- plants, animals, and people.

This is an extremely imaginative idea -- but it's about as close to an accurate portrayal of ants as those big hairy brutes in Them! The actual army ants of South America (unlike most ant species) do not construct permanent nests. An army ant colony moves almost incessantly over the time it exists. They only hang around one area for about two weeks (not twenty years, as they claim in The Naked Jungle). And the swarm of ants don't devastate an area twenty miles wide, as stated in The Naked Jungle. They only cover an area of about twenty meters.

When they go on the rampage, they do not eat animals (with the exception of birds defending the eggs in their nests). And they never, ever eat humans. Never. Ever. So, do all these blatant misrepresentations of Marabunta make The Naked Jungle a really bad action movie? Hell, no -- they make it really good science fiction movie! The soldier ants of The Naked Jungle are a fictional version of real ants, just like the mutant ants in Them!

The Naked Jungle portrays these ants as a giant monster which is smart and ruthless. For example, this monster-horde of ants figures out how to cross irrigation canals by cutting leaves from trees and using them to float across. I don't remember the ants in Them! doing anything that smart. Marabunta, as portrayed in The Naked Jungle, could whip those big sissies in Them! with both their hind legs tied behind the backs!

PS: Did I mention this movie was directed by Byron Haskin and produced by George Pal? These two gentlemen gave us such sci-fi classics as World of the Worlds? No wonder this movie about South American ants bears little resemblance to a something on The Science Channel, eh?

I countered with a reply over there that, besides stating how it's 20 miles long and only 2 miles wide, also brought up the premise that most movies exaggerate some facts and most are not science fiction. However, there's the producer George Pal, who was Mr. Sci-Fi of the fifties and the fact that all other movies about ant threats (Them!, Phase IV, Empire of the Ants, to name a few) are sci-fi/horror. So, it's up for debate. Maybe it's... adventure-horror-sci-fi..? :-?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next