Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Which one of the three movies based on the book do you prefer?
The Last Man on Earth 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
The Omega Man 88%  88%  [ 7 ]
I Am Legend 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: The Last Man on Earth, The Omega Man or I Am Legend?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:15 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

There were three movies made based on Richard Matheson's novel entitled: I Am Legend. They were the following:

The Last Man on Earth, from 1964 starring Vincent Price

The Omega Man, from 1971 starring Charlton Heston

I Am Legend, from 2007 starring Will Smith

Which one of these versions do you think is best, and why? Which one did you like the least?

Post subject: Re: The Last Man on Earth, The Omega Man or I Am Legend?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:13 pm 
Marabunta

I have read the novel, and of the three movies Vincent Price's is the closest to it. But there is just something about the Omega Man that set it apart. :neville: I consider Will Smith's version a remake of OM and not a new version and IMHO not that great especially the CG or the theatre ending. :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:45 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

The CGI in I Am Legend was horrible, no doubt about that. It totally ruined the creatures for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:10 pm 
Cheating Bastard

NO HUMAN ELEMENT IN THE WILL SMITH VERSION. CGI SUCKS........ GIVE ME MATHAIS AND MY DARK FOSTER GRANTS ANYTIME

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:30 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I voted for The Omega Man, it had a great lead, some nice action sequences and a kick-*** score. Though I do wish that The Omega Man had been a little bit more like The Last Man on Earth by having Heston's Neville alone for a longer period of time. IMO they shouldn't have introduced the other characters until maybe 15-20 minutes later in the movie.

By the way, who voted for The Last Man on Earth? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:03 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Detective Thorn wrote:
By the way, who voted for The Last Man on Earth? :lol:

It's VINCENT PRICE man!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:29 am 
Prince Judah

If you're a Vincent Price fan, that may do it - I'm a long time fan of Price, going back to House of Wax (1953), but he wasn't enough to move The Last Man on Earth beyond its rather half-dead approach (an ironic approach maybe - Night of the Living Dead kind of overshadows The Last Man on Earth nowadays).

Also, it's telling that Heston killed Price in The Ten Commandments :neville: , because Heston and The Omega Man film itself managed to present the ultimate last-man-on-Earth scenario in many ways; it's easily my first choice - the action, the style, the presence... it's all there.

I am Legend started out OK but, as already mentioned, the CGI monsters/vampires were too cartoon-like; I dunno why the FX guys overdid it like that - it turned the whole thing into some average computer game. I also agree the ending was like something tacked on and strangely inappropriate (it reminded me of a similar happy ending out-of-nowhere in Damnation Alley, an older end-of-world film from 1977). I haven't watched the alternate ending to I am Legend yet; I'd probably like it more.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
If you're a Vincent Price fan, that may do it - I'm a long time fan of Price, going back to House of Wax (1953), but he wasn't enough to move The Last Man on Earth beyond its rather half-dead approach (an ironic approach maybe - Night of the Living Dead kind of overshadows The Last Man on Earth nowadays).

Problem is, he hasn't even seen The Omega Man yet, that damned dirty cheater! :neville:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:32 pm 
Marabunta

Chrysagon wrote:
I also agree the ending was like something tacked on and strangely inappropriate (it reminded me of a similar happy ending out-of-nowhere in Damnation Alley, an older end-of-world film from 1977). I haven't watched the alternate ending to I am Legend yet; I'd probably like it more.

Hmmm here in the states the theatre ending has Neville blowing himself up and the "happy ending" being the alternate version.

P.S. I liked Damnation Alley all though it in no way follows the novel. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:29 am 
Prince Judah

Leiningen wrote:
Chrysagon wrote:
I also agree the ending was like something tacked on and strangely inappropriate (it reminded me of a similar happy ending out-of-nowhere in Damnation Alley, an older end-of-world film from 1977). I haven't watched the alternate ending to I am Legend yet; I'd probably like it more.

Hmmm here in the states the theatre ending has Neville blowing himself up and the "happy ending" being the alternate version.

P.S. I liked Damnation Alley all though it in no way follows the novel. :lol:

I guess I should have watched the alternate ending to I am Legend before commenting - I assumed the alternate ending was darker. To me, the theatrical ending had a happy note to it, even though Smith blew himself up, because the only female character and the kid
Spoiler:
find this surviving community out of nowhere, as if no world-destroying plague had actaully occurred.
Allovasudden, we're told that everything is OK; the world didn't end - isn't that nice. It was very similar to the ending of Damnation Alley. You're hinting that the alternate ending of I am Legend was even more cheerful, so I probably wouldn't like it (I really need to get to the business of watching it... :banghead: ).

I did read the novel of Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny many years ago. I hope someday they make a film faithful to it - in it, the hero is a coarse anti-hero Hells Angels-type motorcyle gang member named Hell Tanner who is forced into the role of 'hero' and is nothing like any of the characters in the film version. The novel had a very anarchic, anti-establishment tone to it and some irreverance. I think the character was more similar to the Snake Plissken character in the Escape From New York 1981 film.