Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:15 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Hawaiians
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm 
Prince Judah

Directed by Tom Gries
Production year: 1970
starring Charlton Heston, Geraldine Chaplin, John Phillip Law

The sequel to Hawaii (1966), based on a couple of chapters from James Michener's massive novel (which covered several centuries), this takes place in the latter half of the 19th century and follows Whip Hoxworth (Heston), grandson of the ship's captain played by Richard Harris in the previous film. Returning to Hawaii from a sea voyage transporting Chinese workers, Whip finds out that his grandfather died several weeks earlier and left him none of his business fortune, just a worthless plantation; the shipping business has been divided among Whip's conservative relatives, who regard him as a black sheep of the family. Whip eventually finds his fortune in pineapples after water is found on his land. Whip also has to deal with his wife's illness and a couple of Chinese servants (played by Tina Chen and Mako) whom he grows close to.

Watch it at Hulu --- http://www.hulu.com/watch/70656/the-hawaiians

http://www.hulu.com/watch/70656/the-hawaiians?c=Drama

Post subject: Re: The Hawaiians
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:40 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Since I haven't seen this particular movie yet, I can't say for certain, but is this really an epic? I don't believe I've ever gotten that vibe from it or its viewers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 pm 
Prince Judah

Technically, this may not fall under the category of true epic, a genre which ended in the mid-sixties, but I look at it as kind of a throwback to that era, an attempt to recapture that epic quality of big motion pictures (much like the previous Hawaii film). I suppose admin Thorn can move this thread to the other Heston films forum if he prefers.

I also look at Heston's character here as the 3rd incarnation of the wealthy landowner types which he previously played in The Naked Jungle and Diamond Head. I also noted a heavy use of the term "pious" in the first half of this film (Whip calls his relatives "pious bastards" at one point, for example, in a sarcastic manner, I would suppose).

PS: wow, Thorn didn't waste any time; he already posted above as I was creating my explanation here... Thorn, it's in your hands; if you wish to move this, by all means...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:51 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

:lol: That's funny. I thought you were posting this in reply to my previous comment until I read your last line! I'll make a decision once I've gotten the DVD and seen it for myself. Meanwhile, I think I should move Khartoum to this section, perhaps also The War Lord. I was reminded of the epic qualities of Khartoum when I rewatched it last week, but The War Lord I haven't seen in a long while, so maybe you should be the judge of that since it's your favorite movie of Chuck's.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:03 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
I think I should move Khartoum to this section, perhaps also The War Lord. I was reminded of the epic qualities of Khartoum when I rewatched it last week, but The War Lord I haven't seen in a long while, so maybe you should be the judge of that since it's your favorite movie of Chuck's.

Hm... at this point, I'd say try that and see how it looks.
Those two films and The Hawaiians can be regarded as 'lesser epics' or small epics (as contradictory as that sounds). But, they would fill out the Epics forum nicely as historical pieces and deplete the 'other Heston films' forum so that it won't be so large.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:49 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Newspaper ad from the Milwaukee Journal - July 1970.

Attachments:
hawaiians.png
hawaiians.png [ 212.73 KiB | Viewed 1783 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:42 pm 
Michelangelo

Nominated 1971 Oscar Award: Best Costume Design -- Bill Thomas

Nominated 1971 Golden Globe Award: Best Supporting Actress -- Tina Chen

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:22 am 
Michelangelo

In "The Films of Charlton Heston", Jeff Rovin wrote: p.193

Quote:
Technically, the movie is eloquent. The town of Honolulu as it looked in 1900 was built and burned for the film, and a fleet of ships was constructed for the port scenes. The Heston plantation is grandiose. And, naturally enough, Heston does his damnedest to personify this grandeur. He is described in the film's publicity notes as a "no-nonsense he-man"...

:cheers:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:58 pm 
Prince Judah

I thought I'd bump this thread since, for a Heston film thread, it's sort of out of the way on this board. It seems to fall into a nebulous realm of 'not quite an epic' but not just an 'other Heston film' either.

I finally acquired that Jeff Rovin book a few months ago, either on eBay or Amazon.com. The British title of this film was Master of the Islands. The film covers about 30 years in the life of Whip Hoxworth, Heston's character. Though John Phillip Law is credited rather high, he appears very late in the film. If memory serves, he plays Whip's son in the film and the son isn't even born yet at the start of the film (or he's at the least just a baby at the start).

The director, Tom Gries, also directed Heston in Will Penny and Number One. Will Penny was by far the more successful collaboration artistically. Heston and Gries seemed to form a team in the late sixties for whatever reason. I'm guessing that Heston liked his work on Will Penny.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/70656

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:47 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I'm almost certain I'm getting this for Christmas. I'll chime in when I've seen it, which I hope to do within a week after Christmas.