Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Greatest Story Ever Told
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:39 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: George Stevens
Production year: 1965
Starring: Max Von Sydow, Dorothy McGuire, Charlton Heston

Plot:

George Stevens' epic production. "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken Me?" It is towards this climactic crossroads that the story of Jesus of Nazareth leads, and to which, at the final moment, it again looks back in triumphant retrospect. It is the anguishing crossroads where the eternal questions of faith and doubt become resolved.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: The Greatest Story Ever Told
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:40 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

NOTE: This thread will be used for general talk of the movie The Greatest Story Ever Told. If there's anything specific you'd like to discuss, please start a new topic in this section.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:30 pm 
El Cid

THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD is another Heston movie that the critics love to abuse, but I think its a beautifully made film with some great performances. Heston and Max Von Sydow are the obvious standouts in an all star cast. Everyone mocks the John Wayne crucifixion sequence at the end, but the scene really touched me. Wayne says "Truly this man was the son of God" in a harrowing but enlightened tone, as he watches Christ on the cross. Strangely enough, Wayne became a Catholic just before his death, after marrying three Catholic Latin ladies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:32 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I don't remember what Chuck said about this film in his book. Anyone know what he felt with the finished product and his part in it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:50 pm 
Michelangelo

In "THE FILMS OF CHARLTON HESTON" Jeff Rovin wrote (p143):

Quote:
In this film, Heston's role is that of John the Baptist.....
The performance is a good one, better than that of Robert Ryan in the 1961 Bronston film, King of Kings, but still too reverent, as the rest of the film. Many critics found director George Stevens' style too measured, too fully steeped in pontifical respect to be effective, while others ignored this and liken the film's visual beauty instead to that of a Renaissance painting....

Heston mentioned about the water was 'very cold' in his Journal (The Actor's Life) and also in the interview recorded in the dvd.
In The Actor's Life: 1959-p159 , he wrote:
Quote:
....This was very difficult to do during the several days I spent standing waist-deep in the Colorado River baptizing Max von Sydow. The Colorado River that Novermber was no place to linger... it got down in the forties every morning. At the end of one trying day, George noticed
my discomfort and asked me how I felt. "I'm OK, as cold as the Colorado, Christianity would never have got off the ground"....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:13 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

:lol: Thanks for the info, CHfan2010!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:47 am 
El Cid

Has anybody been watching the excellent series on BBC2 about the American Dream? This weeks final programme concerned the many different religions (some very bizarre) in the States. Pat Boone was interviewed and a clip from THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD was shown. Pat Boone actually said that saying those few lines in the movie was the greatest moment of his whole career!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:59 pm 
Michelangelo

A clip of 'Repent'

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:49 pm 
Astronaut

I think Charlton Heston's performance is not only outstanding... in fact he transcended himself. He ceased to be an actor playing a role, but I feel he became the Baptist at his heart. His look was so changed, his whole figure and manner were so much convincing as the self-sacrificing, comfort denying Judaic hero just before Christ, that one might wonder at the range of his talent. As for Max Von Sydow, he tried to do well... but his face somehow doesn't impress me as Jesus' face(that's my opinion, anyhow). And my one complain about the movie: the rebirth of Lazarus and some other miracles could have been shown more clearly. (I invited some friends to watch it, and they couldn't understand what's happening. Not that they were all ridiculously ignorant of Christianity, we Indians in general are respectful of all religions but you can't expect that everybody in the world will know all incidents of the Bible by heart.)

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:17 am 
Prince Judah

I just read about this in the biography on Heston by Michael Munn: in the intro, the author recounts a short interview he did with Heston in 1976; Munn asked him about Heston's first directing effort, which was not ANTONY & CLEOPATRA; Heston confirmed that he did direct one scene in THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD - the scene of when the Baptist is arrested. Of course, Heston is uncredited for this and I don't know the circumstances of how or why Heston had to direct that scene - maybe it's explained later in the book. But, it's an interesting, obscure bit of trivia.