Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: The Greatest Story Ever Told
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:59 pm 
Astronaut

Not at all obscure. Thank you sir Knight, this will make me watch that scene again. Then, the idea of plunging the soldiers into the Jordan was Heston's? Interesting.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:57 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I thought Heston did some directing work on 55 Days at Peking? I guess I remember things wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:26 am 
Prince Judah

Now that I think about it, I remember something about that, too. I know Nic Ray wasn't able to finish as director on 55 DAYS AT PEKING and the film was completed by a couple of other directors, but maybe Chuck had to direct a scene in-between, just after Ray left and before another director officially took over.

Also, I'm just forwarding what Munn wrote in his book; I can't verify it. I have no reason to doubt him, but these days... you never know who is on the up-and-up and who is full of BS. (or who gets their facts correct...)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:45 am 
Prince Judah

The full GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (in 2 parts since it's so long):

If you can't expand it to full screen, btw, there's an option to watch it on YouTube (button just left of far right).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:25 pm 
Prince Judah

Great, Knight! So you are going to be the next video-informer in the forum, after CHfan. All the best for your new role. Man, what multiple-aspected talent you have, indeed.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:34 pm 
El Cid

I was reading The Guardian newspaper at work today in my dinner-break and was disappointed that Michael Coveney didn't check his facts before writing the obituary of Joanna Dunham. Joanna died last month - she played Mary Magdeline in THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and Coveney stated in the newspaper that Charlton Heston played Pontius Pilate. What a sloppy mistake to make! The online obituary has been corrected though, http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/de ... nna-dunham, with an apology in the last paragraph.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:31 pm 
Astronaut

Pilate? Such a mistake! Just an apology cannot wash his hands off! :lol:

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:59 am 
Call Me Harry

Hey, imagine if Chuck himself had played Christ, how different would *that* have been?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:41 am 
Prince Judah

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Hey, imagine if Chuck himself had played Christ, how different would *that* have been?

Very different. Here's an excerpt from the biography on Heston by Michael Munn, which addresses this to some extent:
One way to interpret what Heston said about the part of Jesus is that he didn't think he was right for it (maybe no one was). Heston is known for playing mostly aggressive (and violent) characters; Christ was the ultimate pacifist. Off the top of my head, the closest that Heston got to that type of character was the obvious Moses (as the older and bearded version of the man) and his Michelangelo in The Agony and the Ecstasy. Even there, his character tended to lose his temper quite a bit, in several scenes. Also, interesting bit of trivia there about how this was the only film in which he was killed before the intermission. This was as of the mid-eighties (when the bio was published). He had since played a couple of small roles as an older character who died very early in a film - in The Order (2001) and the Planet of the Apes remake.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:33 pm 
Prince Judah

Chuck got so involved with the character of John the baptist that he gave several inputs (like Salome's confrontation with the baptist and her dance of revenge after he was behaded) and the director had to say something like "the film is not about Jon the Baptist , Chuck."

I know this Man!