Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:26 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: The Greatest Show on Earth
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:48 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Has anyone here read Scott Eyman's biography of director Cecil B. DeMille "Empire of Dreams"? I just started reading it. Not far along yet but it's shaping up to be an interesting read.

No, but when you're done I'd love a small review of it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:07 pm 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Has anyone here read Scott Eyman's biography of director Cecil B. DeMille "Empire of Dreams"? I just started reading it. Not far along yet but it's shaping up to be an interesting read.

It may be a while Thorn, but I'll do my best when I'm done with it.

I remember Chuck wrote of CB in his autobiography "I should have thanked him for my career."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:04 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:

I remember Chuck wrote of CB in his autobiography "I should have thanked him for my career."

:lol: Yeah, I wonder where Chuck would have been if he hadn't given DeMille that wave.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:40 am 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:

:lol: Yeah, I wonder where Chuck would have been if he hadn't given DeMille that wave.

Indeed.

Cecil B. DeMille's biography was an interesting read with some slow spots here & there, largely because DeMille himself was far more interesting than a lot of the people around him, so he's like that one character in a film that's far more interesting than the actual plot. DeMille was not a "nice man" in the 21st century sense of the word but he was also loyal to his staff and had a Disney like affection for animals, even a pet wolf.

Overall I would give the book an 8 out of 10 due to some of the slower spots. I don't to spoil anything for those who would like to read it. It's a big book about a big man with a big personality. One thing that I'm sure is no secret - the key to DeMille's success at managing large crowds was that he always took the "I hire actors not extras" approach, always making sure the extras had specific lines and actions in order to keep the scenes alive & bustling; if an extra had to walk across the street they had to move like they knew why & not just lollygag. This is why the crowd scenes in so many of his films work as well as they do, as can be seen here and "The Ten Commandments". It's also no secret that DeMille disliked actors who were not willing to take risks for their films (case in point, DeMille strongly disliked Victor Mature while filming "Samson & Delilah" because he wouldn't wrestle a tame lion & reportedly ran away during the jaw bone slaying scene when a wind machine malfunctioned).

So for fans of old school Hollywood & DeMille's work (of which I admit I still haven't seen everything) I highly recommend Scott Eyman's "Empire of Dreams".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:25 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Thanks for the review, sounds like a very good read!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:08 pm 
El Cid

Barnum and Bailey and the Ringling Brothers circus is closing down for good this coming May. It certainly is the end of an era.

This news makes THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH a truly special movie, the way De Mille incorporated all the behind-the-scenes footage of the way the circus operated.

Even without that, I always regarded this terrific Oscar winner as something special ... a real "feel good" movie if there ever was one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:45 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

That is sad to hear. Why are they closing down?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:27 pm 
El Cid

A message from Kenneth Feld, chairman and CEO of Feld Entertainment, the producer of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey®

After much evaluation and deliberation, my family and I have made the difficult business decision that Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® will hold its final performances in May of this year. Ringling Bros. ticket sales have been declining, but following the transition of the elephants off the road, we saw an even more dramatic drop. This, coupled with high operating costs, made the circus an unsustainable business for the company.

Nearly 50 years ago, my father founded our company with the acquisition of Ringling Bros. The circus and its people have continually been a source of inspiration and joy to my family and me, which is why this was such a tough business decision to make. The decision was even more difficult because of the amazing fans that have become part of our extended circus family over the years, and we are extremely grateful to the millions of families who have made Ringling Bros. part of their lives for generations. We know Ringling Bros. isn’t only our family business, but also your family tradition.

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Presents Circus XTREME will conclude its tour at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, R.I., on May 7, 2017, and Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Presents Out Of This World will conclude its tour at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale, N.Y., on May 21, 2017. We hope you will come to celebrate this American icon for one last time before our tours conclude.

Our company provides quality, live family entertainment, and we invite you to bring your family to one of our other events, including Marvel Universe LIVE!, Monster Jam, Monster Energy Supercross, AMSOIL Arenacross, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!, as well as future productions.

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey has served as inspiration for all of the live entertainment produced at Feld Entertainment. We learned from the circus, and applied those learnings to our other productions. Without Ringling Bros., we wouldn’t have the vibrant live entertainment company that we have today. Ringling Bros. will always be part of Feld Entertainment, and its spirit will live on in every production and project we do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:09 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Thanks, James.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6