Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:21 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Four Musketeers (1974)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:50 am 
Prince Judah

Directed by Richard Lester
Production Year: 1974
stars Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch, Michael York as D'Artagnan, Richard Chamberlain,
Frank Finlay, Christopher Lee, Faye Dunaway as Milady, with Charlton Heston as Richelieu
Image Image

Continuing from The Three Musketeers (1973), which was filmed at the same time, this sequel is simply the 2nd part of the famous Dumas novel, but the film has less cheer and a more somber tone in places, most evident in the scenes of several key characters meeting their ends. The role of Milady (Dunaway) takes center stage in her efforts to further the goals of Cardinal Richelieu (Heston), but she proves to be almost evil incarnate, going beyond political plans into personal revenge against D'Artagnan (York) and his lady Constance (Welch).

Musket Trivia: many years later, there was yet another sequel, a 3rd film, Return of the Musketeers (1989). Most of the actors returned - but Heston only showed up as a painting of Richelieu (from what I remember), since Richelieu was long dead (this also followed the Dumas sequel novel). Christopher Lee did return as Rochefort, even though he was supposedly killed in the 2nd film. Lee later related in the magazine CINEMA RETRO that the other actors were now as old in Return of the Musketeers as he had been in The Four Musketeers and now felt all the aches and pains that he did (Lee was older than the Musketeers actors).

Post subject: Re: The Four Musketeers (1974)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:06 am 
Prince Judah

Here is the TV spot for this film when it first aired on TV in 1977. I'm pretty sure this is how I first watched this film - on TV - since I wasn't able to get to the theater for it:
_________

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:18 am 
Prince Judah

I mentioned elsewhere how the 2nd film was more somber than The Three Musketeers and it was also much more poignant in places. Nowhere is this better represented than by the theme music for Athos (played by Oliver Reed)... do they create music like this for films anymore? I think not:

It's in The Four Musketeers that the backstory for Athos is unveiled. I also mentioned elsewhere that Oliver Reed was at his peak in The Three Musketeers, but he really comes into his own here, in this 2nd film, where-in comical buffoonery gives way to dramatic, sad and even tragic overlays.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:06 am 
Astronaut

I have not seen this movie, but it seems pretty disturbing--- they recreated Richelieu's character when he was supposed to be dead. Interesting. I must watch it first and then post my comments.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:01 am 
Prince Judah

I'm not sure I understand you, Tizzy, and I think you may have misread one of my earlier posts. Richelieu (Heston) :richelieu: was alive and well at the end of The Three Musketeers and in The Four Musketeers - he was not recreated; the character died several years later (as did the real Richelieu on whom it was based). In the 3rd film, Return of the Musketeers, Richelieu had been dead for years. But, there is a painting of him, hanging on the wall, from what I recall. He remained dead.

However...
Spoiler:
Rochefort, played by Christopher Lee, was killed by a sword near the end of The Four Musketeers; at least, it seemed that he was killed. Since he returned in Return of the Musketeers, the audience has to make allowances and deduce that he was just seriously injured at the end of The Four Musketeers. It weakens the ending of The Four Musketeers and doesn't really make sense, but is slightly plausible.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:03 am 
Prince Judah

Here, after all this time, is the shot of the painting of Heston as Richelieu in Return of the Musketeers (1989), when the character of D'Artagnan (Michael York) walks past it early in the film:
______ Image Image

This, more than any other film, may qualify as an "unofficial" Heston film (a term that James Byrne used recently here in relation to a TV Movie, The Jayne Mansfield Story, which had footage of Heston arriving at a movie premiere. Heston doesn't appear in Return of the Musketeers, just this painting of him... so maybe it's not even an unofficial film; but, then, what is it..? :?: :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:01 pm 
El Cid

I would love to add THE RETURN OF THE MUSKETEERS to my now complete Heston dvd collection. Even though he isn't in the cast, that giant portrait of Chuck as Richelieu casts his presence over the proceedings in some scenes. TROTM is exceptionally difficult to get hold of - it has been deleted for years. Heston was allowed to keep that giant portrait, after giving his permission to Lester for using it in the film.

THE KING OF COMEDY is sometimes cited as one of Liza Minnelli's movies, even though there is only a cardboard cutout of her on show in the movie!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:59 pm 
Prince Judah

Well, this is the height of iconography! You remember, Chrysagon, that in one of my earlier posts I commented on the film-theory of 'gaze' by which Richelieu, though not talking much or shouting, can impose his authority over other characters? Here the painting serves the same function, and this time it is iconised. Whatever D'artagnan or others are thinking or saying, the silent presence of Richelieu's portrait, with that penetrating and cynical gaze, holds it power even when he is physically absent from the scene.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:19 pm 
El Cid

I wonder why THE RETURN OF THE MUSKETEERS isn't included in THE MUSKETEERS boxset?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:27 am 
Prince Judah

James Byrne wrote:
I wonder why THE RETURN OF THE MUSKETEERS isn't included in THE MUSKETEERS boxset?

According to some sources, such as a thread on IMDb, one possibility is a 'rights' issue of two different studios:
the first two films came out on DVD from Fox, while the third one was from Universal; does that stand in the way of a box set? - maybe. But, on the same thread, there's talk of a French DVD set - http://www.amazon.fr/Trois-mousquetaire ... B00019IC46 Image
This has all three films on it - Les Trois mousquetaires : L'Intégrale (1973 / 1974 / 1989) - Coffret 3 DVD