Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Easter tradition of The Ten Commandments
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:05 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I'm very interested to know more about this tradition you Americans have, of watching The Ten Commandments every Easter when it's being broadcasted. Exactly how long has this been going on, and how did it come about? I'm sure a lot of Heston fans probably became fans thanks to this being shown every Easter, while for some this was their first time seeing Heston in a movie. I bet it could even be a contributing factor to why some rate it higher than Ben-Hur or El Cid as far as his epics go, thanks the nostalgia factor. I've been known to favor some movies based on that.

Do some of you still watch it every Easter when it's shown on TV?

Post subject: Re: The Easter tradition of The Ten Commandments
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:56 pm 
Marabunta

I think maybe it used to be shown around every Easter time, although I guess it really should have been Passover time, which can coordinate with Easter. But I don't recall our family having a tradition of watching it then, although I do think I probably have seen it around that time, or at least bits and pieces. It may have been too long for me to sit still during as a young child. I'm not sure it still is shown every Easter. It probably is shown on one of the movie channels, but I kind of doubt it is still shown on one of the "original big three" networks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:34 pm 
Marabunta

"The Ten Commandments" was always showed Palm Sunday or Easter Sundayon ABC..Would begin at 7PM and end at 11 PM. Of course tell me the parting of the Red Sea was not amazing. Growing up we always watched it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:54 pm 
Marabunta

Oh, maybe that's why I don't remember this tradition so much....our ABC was like watching through a snowstorm at times. :) We mainly watched NBC and CBS it seems. NBC was really clear, CBS not so much, but ABC was the worst for clarity I think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:39 pm 
Marabunta

I remember seeing it on TV when I was a young kid in the early 60's with my parents at Easter. So it has been around a long time on TV.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:58 am 
No Water For Me

I think you'll only see it on ABC. If I remember correctly, Paramount sold the "exclusive" TV rights to "The Ten Commandments" to that network sometime early in the 60's. I don't believe any other network has ever broadcast it. Notice the only time it's seen is on, or around, Easter -- one time. And, it's on ABC. I don't think such an arrangement was ever provided another film other than this one. Ever wonder why you never see it broadcast on any other network at any other time? "Ben-Hur" by contrast you've probably seen on several networks and at various times throughout the year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:04 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

cwente2 wrote:
I think you'll only see it on ABC. If I remember correctly, Paramount sold the "exclusive" TV rights to "The Ten Commandments" to that network sometime early in the 60's. I don't believe any other network has ever broadcast it. Notice the only time it's seen is on, or around, Easter -- one time. And, it's on ABC. I don't think such an arrangement was ever provided another film other than this one. Ever wonder why you never see it broadcast on any other network at any other time? "Ben-Hur" by contrast you've probably seen on several networks and at various times throughout the year.

Interesting. A little bit of a shame though, that it's never broadcasted more often than once every year. I understand that's what makes it an even bigger tradition, but still, a movie like this should be broadcasted more than just once every year IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:55 am 
No Water For Me

That's all quite true -- that it should be offered more often -- but at the same time this special arrangement made years ago with ABC adds to the uniqueness of the film as cinematic history, imo. The film is "special" in so many ways: it's filmed religious fundamentalism (impossible today from ANYONE in Hollywood), the dedication and sincerity of the cast toward the gravitas of both the effort and the film's message, it's DeMille's last and biggest, it's Heston's best remembered performance ("Ben-Hur" not withstanding), it'll never be reproduced in the same way (cast of thousands, three years pre-production, mix of "old Hollywood" and striving for authenticity, etc.) The once a year broadcast, it seems to me, only adds to the "special" nature of this one of a kind production. Sorta like being allowed to see Tutankhamen's death mask only during "limited" hours. Besides, most of us Heston/DeMille fans have it on DVD now and can, thankfully, watch it any time we want -- without commercial interruption.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:08 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

That does make a lot of sense. And like you said, those of us who want to watch it more often most likely already own a copy of the movie.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:01 pm 
Michelangelo

Holy Moses! Charlton Heston wins Saturday ratings race
posted by halboedeker on April, 24 2011 12:15 PM

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2011/04/holy-moses-charlton-heston-wins-saturday-ratings-race.html

Quote:
Give people a one-of-a-kind movie, and they will show up.

ABC won the Saturday prime-time ratings race with “The Ten Commandments,” Charlton Heston as Moses and the still-stunning parting of the Red Sea. In prime time, the 1956 epic averaged 7 million viewers for the Disney-owned network. Of course, the movie sprawled beyond 8 to 11 p.m.; it ran from 7 to 11:45 p.m.

:cheers: