Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:55 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: The Easter tradition of The Ten Commandments
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:21 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Awesome news :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:24 am 
No Water For Me

Although I am a mostly secular Jew from a "mixed household" (Jewish Dad who was mainly a scientist above all else, and a Lutheran Mom), I've watched it every year of my adult life, just as I watched it with my folks starting probably around age 3 or so. Even though ABC makes a hash of the editing and I own the 50th Anniversary release on DVD and have had the pleasure of watching it with my husband and little girls, I love the sense of a shared experience in watching it right around Passover/Easter weekend -- as the two frequently, though not always, occur close in time. I've always found it to be an extraordinarily respectful movie in its religious themes, and as a kid who was sensitive about how Jews were portrayed in a post-Holocaust world, I just dearly loved having a big, strapping good-looking guy like Heston as Moses. Just as I did later on when I saw him as Judah Ben-Hur. But of course secular or no, I believe in there having been a historical Moses. :-) And I thought Heston did a sensitive and thoughtful job for someone who was a comparative youngster for such a vast role.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:07 pm 
Prince Judah

Surely a big toast for the winner... but I am laughing to write this. Of course to see your favorite winning something feels great, but who shall win but the winner?.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:05 pm 
Michelangelo

ABC to Air THE TEN COMMANDMENTS 4/7 (Easter)

http://movies.broadwayworld.com/article ... 7-20120319

Quote:
Cecil B. DeMille's massive film spectacle, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, one of the most popular box-office movies of all time, will air as an "ABC Special Presentation," SATURDAY, APRIL 7 (7:00-11:44 p.m., ET), on The ABC Television Network.
"THE TEN COMMANDMENTS" IN HDTV:
"The Ten Commandments" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format, with 5.1-channel surround sound. This film carries a TV-G parental guideline.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:58 pm 
Michelangelo

Charlton Heston - Moses Is Still A Ratings Draw :applause:
09 April 2012
http://www.contactmusic.com/news/moses- ... aw_1314680

Quote:
Perhaps it was simply a case of there not being anything else worth watching on a Saturday night-- a night that the networks have all but abandoned -- but ABC's telecast of the 1956 Cecil B. DeMille classic The Ten Commandments , starring Charlton Heston, captured nearly 7 million viewers on Saturday, making it the most-watched show of the night. That's the same number of viewers ABC usually lands every year when it carries the movie on the Saturday before Easter.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:39 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Notice how they start out very negative, before reporting the wonderful numbers the airing of the movie got?

I'm glad Americans still sit down and watch this classic every year with their loved ones.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:28 pm 
Michelangelo

Detective Thorn wrote:
Notice how they start out very negative, before reporting the wonderful numbers the airing of the movie got?

I'm glad Americans still sit down and watch this classic every year with their loved ones.

Indeed! I also noticed that negative comment! :banghead:

Found another article about the rating:
The author/reporter also compared the rating with other TV dramas/shows

The TV Column ‘Ten Commandments’: Moses delivers again on the ratings
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

By Lisa De Moraes, Wednesday, April 11, 1:48 AM
Quote:
“The Ten Commandments” pulled off another of its ratings miracles over the holiday weekend, delivering ABC’s best non-sports Saturday since — well, since the last time ABC aired “The Ten Commandments,” about a year ago.
ABC’s 32nd broadcast of “The Ten Commandments,” the 1956 biblical flick that stars Charlton Heston as Moses, scored 7 million viewers in prime time Saturday night.

To put this in perspective:

●That’s nearly twice the audience generated by the second episode of the new season of “Game of Thrones” on HBO.

●It’s about 4 million more people than watched Sunday’s premiere of a new episode of “Mad Men.”
ABC has aired “T10C” 32 times. It has aired on the network every year since ABC gave it a year off to rest in 1999. After that one “T10C”-less year, more than 17 million
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:15 am 
Cheating Bastard

Another great night for The Ten Commandments on it's airing. Just about one of the last things you can count on.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:44 pm 
Michelangelo

Easter 2013 TV programming

http://www.channelguidemagblog.com/inde ... ogramming/

Quote:
The Ten Commandments (pictured above) – March 30 at 7pm on ABC.
Cecil B. DeMille’s 1956 epic is truly an example of “they don’t make ‘em like that anymore.” And they probably can’t make ‘em like this — the scale would be too cost-prohibitive. So enjoy this classic, longtime Easter season TV favorite on whatever level you choose: as a religious story; as a great drama; as epic filmmaking; as a showcase for legendary actors like Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Anne Baxter, Edward G. Robinson and many more; or as all of the above. On a personal note, it was always a great endurance test for me as a kid to try to stay up for the whole thing, and for Easter 2013 ABC has The Ten Commandments scheduled into a 4 hour, 45 minute programming block. So set your DVR, or take a nap beforehand.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:05 am 
Astronaut

Liked the first two sentences from the quote. Yes, they can't make them like that anymore. So better to recognise and accept the fact, than to make negative comments!

My Lord, I too am bewitched!