Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:41 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Crucifer of Blood
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:04 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Fraser Clarke Heston
Production year: 1991
Starring: Charlton Heston, Richard Johnson, Susannah Harker

Plot:

Beautiful, young Irne St. Claire enlists Holmes' and Watson's help for her father, a former veteran of the Great Indian Mutiny, who has become a hopeless opium addict. His drug dependence is a direct result of guilt and fear arising from a blood pact of secrecy made during the siege of Agra in 1857 in which he was party to the theft of a maharajah's treasure, murder, and betrayal. When an avaricious co-conspirator dies under mysterious circumstances, St. Clair is certain that the curse will strike him next.

Post subject: Re: The Crucifier of Blood
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:26 pm 
Marabunta

Saw this on TV.

Some interesting info from Wikipedia:

"Play - Los Angeles production
The play, directed by the author, premiered in Los Angeles at the Ahmanson Theatre in the Los Angeles Music Center on December 5, 1980 and ran through January 17, 1981. A notable feature of this production was that Jeremy Brett, who later became one of the most famous impersonators of Sherlock Holmes, played Dr. Watson.

Cast

Charlton Heston - Sherlock Holmes
Suzanne Lederer - Irene St. Claire
Christopher Curry - Jonathan Small
J. Christopher O'Connor - Mohammed Singh
Richard Denison - Hopkins
Jeremy Brett - John Watson, M.D

Film
The play was filmed for Turner Network Television and first broadcast on November 4, 1991. The cast featured Heston as Holmes, Richard Johnson as Watson, and Susannah Harker as Irene St. Claire, and was directed by Heston's son Fraser Clarke Heston."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:51 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Yeah, I found it very interesting that Heston played the role in the play all those years earlier. He was obviously perfect for the part.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:26 pm 
El Cid

Is that a Region 1 dvd of CRUCIFER OF BLOOD in the first post?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:03 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Is that a Region 1 dvd of CRUCIFER OF BLOOD in the first post?

Indeed it is. I couldn't find a poster for the movie so the DVD cover had to suffice. To my knowledge there are no other versions available. You'd think a Sherlock Holmes movie would get a UK release as well.

Oh well, hopefully you have a region free DVD player so that you can get this DVD.

Post subject: Re: The Crucifer of Blood
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:44 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

In my very humble opinion, I have to say that I didn't enjoy this movie as much as I had hoped to. It could be because I'm not very familiar with the Sherlock Holmes character, because the other ones who were on my Hest-Fest last year seemed to enjoy it a lot more, and they were very well-read on this character. I guess another thing I didn't like that much was that it very much felt like a TV-movie. In all fairness, it is a TV-movie. I guess I just like them better when you don't even notice that it is.

I gave this movie the lowest grading I've given any movie with Charlton Heston in it (so far), a 5/10. It was a decent effort though and Heston was terrific. It's always nice to see him do something very different, he even put on an English dialect for this!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:41 am 
Astronaut

two rare photos of Heston's Sherlock Holmes moment--
ImageImage

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:10 pm 
Cheating Bastard

I've just ordered this on DVD. I found a region 2 disc for a good price on Amazon - it's not a UK release but - according to the description - there is the option to play it in the original language without subtitles. I'm sure that will be the case as I have a lot of non-UK region 2 discs and all have had that option.

It's available on its own or as a double bill with Roger Moore's TV movie Sherlock Holmes In New York.

I have a feeling I've seen the film on TV a good few years ago but don't remember much about it at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:46 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Could you post a pic of the one you bought? I thought it had only been released in the US so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:39 pm 
Cheating Bastard

I'm hopeless with technology but here is the link to Amazon and the picture of the disc.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherlock-Holmes ... r+of+blood
It arrived this afternoon and there is indeed an option to watch it in English without subtitles.