Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:18 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Chuck Heston Workout
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:12 am 
Cheating Bastard

Seeing as how the broad-shouldered Heston was a very physical actor and managed to keep himself relatively fit throughout his entire career, I thought I would comment on his workout regimen. He didn't have the iron-pumped muscles of some action stars but he did seem to have functional ability that translated well to any number of physical activities, be it horseback riding, sword-fighting, throwing a punch, or commanding a chariot.

I remember reading somewhere that Chuck had a combination chin-up/dip bar installed in his home that he worked out on and recall from his journals that he was a fairly devout swimmer and jogger who was forever conscious of adding an inch or two around his waist. He was also quite prolific at celebrity tennis tournaments for a number of years. If anyone knows more about his exercise regimen, please contribute. Personally, I always thought he looked at his most muscular in THE BIG COUNTRY, as if he were hitting the weights a little bit at that time.

Post subject: Re: The Chuck Heston Workout
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:52 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Good idea for a thread. I've always been interested in knowing more about his workouts as well. He was always very fit, which worked well with his size. He was a pretty big guy, after all. Really muscular action heroes didn't become the norm until the 80's when Schwarzenegger and Stallone made their marks in the action genre.

You're probably right about his physique being the best around the end of the 50's, right bfore he was closing in on the big 40. He looked very impressive in Ben-Hur, especially during the scenes where he was in the galley.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:16 am 
Prince Judah

This is one subject - Heston's exercise regimen - which I have no real information on. This does take me back to a scene in Earthquake, early in the film, in which Heston's character is working out on one of those arm exercisers and I got the impression that he did the same thing in real life (and he was into middle age by this point).

I happened across this still today and this photo seems to back up the assertion about his swimming preference. I have no idea when this was taken - he's partially in shadow here - but he does look extra fit in this one:
__ Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:49 am 
Prince Judah

I found another candid shot of Heston and this one now suggests that he also flexed his boxing muscles, as in punching a punching bag
(that's how it looks to me anyway): Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:11 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Yeah, that's a boxing bag alright. Definitely a picture I haven't seen before, looks to be from the mid 50's or so. So maybe he included a couple of rounds with a boxing bag in his workout.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:57 pm 
Call Me Harry

Don't have a lot of info on how Chuck worked out, but would say that his physique probably fit his signature period roles better than the physiques of the young Schwarzenegger & Stallone (of course Heston's heyday was a time when people still kind of looked down their noses at body-building, if only for a lack of understanding of its benefits, and leading men weren't actually required to be gym rats adhering to strict diets and all that).

I actually thought Heston looked most ripped in "The Ten Commandments".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:37 pm 
Cheating Bastard

Came across a print ad in a 1969 "Life Magazine" for a product called the Tone-a-Matic, a scientifically weighted belt that one could wear around for everyday activities. The makers claimed it would get you in great shape without resorting to exercise. Surprisingly there were celebrity endorsements with the ad, including photos of Chuck and Clint Walker.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:08 pm 
Prince Judah

I know about his swimming, riding and tennis- activities, and also the chin-up, push-up sorts of things. But I also feel that he used to do weight-training, though we have little evidence from his own talks and autobiographical stuff. Just recall how he,as Moses, lifted the fatigued Joshua! Lifting the heroines is not uncommon: but to lift one like Joshua(can't recall the actor's name) is not easy! Again, in Ben-Hur, Judah is seen lifting the 'old' Simonides, though the actor was middle-aged at that time, exactly as he appeared at the beginning of the movie.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

itsjudah24 wrote:
I know about his swimming, riding and tennis- activities, and also the chin-up, push-up sorts of things. But I also feel that he used to do weight-training, though we have little evidence from his own talks and autobiographical stuff. Just recall how he,as Moses, lifted the fatigued Joshua! Lifting the heroines is not uncommon: but to lift one like Joshua(can't recall the actor's name) is not easy! Again, in Ben-Hur, Judah is seen lifting the 'old' Simonides, though the actor was middle-aged at that time, exactly as he appeared at the beginning of the movie.

That's a good point, I didn't think of that. Wish I could do that without lifting any weights :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:19 pm 
Prince Judah

Hey Thorn, 'do that' means...? you would like to lift Joshua or Simonides ? Make your choice!

I know this Man!