Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Buccaneer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:03 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Anthony Quinn
Production year: 1958
Starring: Yul Brynner, Claire bloom, Charlton Heston

Plot:

During the War of 1812 against Britain: General Andrew Jackson has only 1,200 men left to defend New Orleans when he learns that a British fleet will arrive with 60 ships and 16,000 men to take the city. In this situation an island near the city becomes strategically important to both parties, but it's inhabited by the last big buccaneer: Jean Lafitte. Although Lafitte never attacks American ships, the governor hates him for selling merchandise without taxes - and is loved by the citizens for the same reason. When the big fight gets nearer, Lafitte is drawn between the fronts. His heart belongs to America, but his people urge him to join the party that's more likely to win.

Post subject: Re: The Buccaneer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:37 pm 
El Cid

Thorn, you are showing the poster for the DeMille original instead of the Brynner-Heston 1958 remake.

THE BUCCANEER has Heston made up like a much older Andrew Jackson. The make up guys made a booboo here, Jackson was much younger than portrayed by Heston. They based the make up job on later paintings of Jackson.

THE BUCCANEER isn't as awful as the critics make out. Considering its the directorial debut of Anthony Quinn, its a pretty good effort.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:45 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Thorn, you are showing the poster for the DeMille original instead of the Brynner-Heston 1958 remake.

Gah, what a booboo! I had a hard time finding a poster in big enough size that when I finally did, I guess I missed the fact that it wasn't the Buccaneer poster I was looking for! :lol:

It's been taken care of.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:20 pm 
El Cid

That's better Thorn.
Have you seen THE BUCCANEER at all?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:22 pm 
Marabunta

I have seen the movie and from what I remember Heston was not a leading character. It is amazing with all he had done by then that he was able to take what amounted to a supporting role and not try to take away the spotlight from Yul Brunner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:47 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
That's better Thorn.
Have you seen THE BUCCANEER at all?

No, I've never seen it aired in Sweden and there's no DVD of it yet either. Pisses me off royally.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:04 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I really enjoyed this movie. Annoying that it hasn't gotten an actual DVD release yet. It deserves it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:44 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Newspaper ad from The Milwaukee Journal - Dec. 1958.

Attachments:
buccaneer2.png
buccaneer2.png [ 172.24 KiB | Viewed 1540 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:45 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Newspaper ad from The Milwaukee Journal - January, 1959.

Attachments:
buccaneer.png
buccaneer.png [ 225.71 KiB | Viewed 1540 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:36 am 
El Cid

THE TIMES, Monday May 11, 1959.

THE BUCCANEER

THE BUCCANEER, at the Plaza, opens with a brief, factual lecture, illustrated on a map of the strategic importance of New Orleans during the Anglo-American war of 1812. Unfortunately, this factual approach ends as soon as the story begins, and for the remainder of its two-hour length THE BUCCANEER is concerned only with a glorified account of the exploits of Jean Lafitte, a cut-throat pirate of the period who preyed on the shipping in the Mississippi estuary and seems to have held the balance between the two armies because his headquarters at Barataria, in the bayou swamps, controlled the "backdoor" to New Orleans.
Unlike the majority of modern films, little use has been made of exteriors, and the studio scenes bear the unmistakeable stamp of artificiality. The characters declaim their lines with theatrical delivery while striking theatrical postures (legs astride and arms akimbo is clearly held to be a U-type pose for buccaneers at bay), while Mr. Yul Brynner, as Lafitte, is constantly draped in or over a chair, as befits a leader of casual authority. Lack of atmosphere is a great leveller of acting talent, and here a strong cast, which includes Miss Claire Bloom, Mr. Charles Boyer, and Mr. Charlton Heston, never succeeds in setting the story alight. Only Mr. Heston, as the sardonic and resolute Andrew Jackson, is able to create a character of flesh and blood, a dour ascetic harshly condemning the selfishness and lack of patriotism in the citizens of New Orleans. Lafitte, one suspects, was no more than a calculating rogue, and the story's attempts to whitewash him lack conviction.