Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Big Country
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:52 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
I recently started reading a biography on Gregory Peck; only 9 chapters in, I did skip ahead a few chapters and skimmed the Big Country. It touched on how Greg's friendship with director William Wyler became strained during the very tough filming, which Chuck touched on in his autobiography and has been documented elsewhere, but the chapter didn't say anything about Greg's thoughts and feelings towards Heston. IMDB had some stray quote from Greg where he described their relationship as being associates who are "polite and courteous each other" when they meet but added that Greg "strongly disagreed" with Chuck on the whole gun control issue. Chuck seemed to only have good things to say/write about old Greg. Perhaps Greg's thoughts will come up more in later chapters, that has yet to be seen.

In Heston's For All Seasons documentary, Peck says Chuck has been his friend for many years and that while he don't agree with some of Chuck's beliefs, that is OK because Chuck probably don't agree with all of his beliefs either.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:46 am 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:
I recently started reading a biography on Gregory Peck; only 9 chapters in, I did skip ahead a few chapters and skimmed the Big Country. It touched on how Greg's friendship with director William Wyler became strained during the very tough filming, which Chuck touched on in his autobiography and has been documented elsewhere, but the chapter didn't say anything about Greg's thoughts and feelings towards Heston. IMDB had some stray quote from Greg where he described their relationship as being associates who are "polite and courteous each other" when they meet but added that Greg "strongly disagreed" with Chuck on the whole gun control issue. Chuck seemed to only have good things to say/write about old Greg. Perhaps Greg's thoughts will come up more in later chapters, that has yet to be seen.

In Heston's For All Seasons documentary, Peck says Chuck has been his friend for many years and that while he don't agree with some of Chuck's beliefs, that is OK because Chuck probably don't agree with all of his beliefs either.

I will seek out this documentary then.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:47 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

It's available on DVD and worth a buy :cowboy1:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:36 am 
Astronaut

Cid, have you finished reading Peck's autobiography? Has he said anything more about Heston? And hasn't he said anything special on their fight-scene in 'Big country'?

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:30 am 
Call Me Harry

tizzyd wrote:
Cid, have you finished reading Peck's autobiography? Has he said anything more about Heston? And hasn't he said anything special on their fight-scene in 'Big country'?

Nope, haven't finished it yet. The book has touched on Ava Gardner a few times though, as she co-starred with Peck at least twice and became a friend of his - she would co-star with Chuck later on in "55 Days At Peking" and "Earthquake". Peck's bio writes her in a more favorable light than what you initially read in Chuck's biography, where he stated that she behaved unprofessionally throughout much of the shoot of Peking, though she behaved better on "Earthquake". How much of that was due to Ava being in a transitional phase of her life and career and how much of it was some personal dislike between her, the cast & the crew I cannot guess.

Out of curiosity, can any of you imagine just how different this film would've been with Chuck as Jim McKay and Greg Peck as Steve Leech? That would've been pure madness. ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:38 pm 
Astronaut

Interesting... and the question you've asked is ideal for Chrysagon's thread 'Alternate Reality'! Heston could have done McKay well, but to what extent I can't guess, but to imagine Peck the middle-class gentlemanly hero(or at least as he appears to me, the journalist of 'Roman Holiday' or the kind father in 'Mockingbird') as Steeve Leech is somewhat uncanny to me. Of course, as a talented and sincere actor, he would try to take the challenge and do well, but there is a thing called 'image'...

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:57 am 
Call Me Harry

Finished Gregory Peck's bio and while it's an interesting insight into the man who helped give us THE BIG COUNTRY it doesn't really say anything about his personal thoughts/feelings towards Chuck, who is only mentioned in passing a few times (such as how Chuck turned down Greg's role in the Omen). Unfortunate, but that's what the internet is for - finding details elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:31 am 
Prince Judah

That's right! Especially I would like to know about how they rehearsed for the fight-sequence, it needs much co-operation to accomplish that. How did they manage to create the sound of every punch and blow, not hurting each other, while Wyler demanded 'real' sound, without using any studio-trick? By the way, what has Peck written about Audrey Hepburn? This is not the place for that discussion, I know, still I am asking with much interest.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 pm 
Call Me Harry

itsjudah24 wrote:
That's right! Especially I would like to know about how they rehearsed for the fight-sequence, it needs much co-operation to accomplish that. How did they manage to create the sound of every punch and blow, not hurting each other, while Wyler demanded 'real' sound, without using any studio-trick? By the way, what has Peck written about Audrey Hepburn? This is not the place for that discussion, I know, still I am asking with much interest.

According to the book - a biography, not an autobiography - Peck and Audrey Hepburn were on pretty good terms, worked well together, found each other very supportive and charming, she even spoke at one or two of the events that honored him for his contributions to cinema.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:57 am 
Cheating Bastard

Why do you think would have actually won that fight they had in the movie Charlton Heston or Gregory Peck?

Chuck looks more athletic.

But Greg looks like he weighs more and has broader shoulders

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next