Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Awakening (1980)
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:00 pm 
Michelangelo

Directed by: Mike Newell
Produced by: Andrew Scheinman, Robert H. Solo
Written by:
Novel:Bram Stoker "The Jewel of Seven Stars"
Screenplay:Clive Exton,Chris Bryant,Allan Scott
Music by Claude Bolling

Plot: (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Awakening_(1980_film))
Heston portrays an archaeologist who opens the tomb of an ancient Egyptian
queen at the exact moment his daughter is born. Years later, the girl (Zimbalist),
now a teenager, starts to undergo frightening changes in personality and people
begin to mysteriously die. Heston soon comes to believe that the spirit of the
queen, a cruel monarch named Kara, possessed his daughter at the moment of her
birth and intends to resurrect herself through the girl's body.

Cast
Charlton Heston - Matthew Corbeck
Susannah York - Jane Turner
Jill Townsend - Anne Corbeck
Stephanie Zimbalist - Margaret Corbeck
Patrick Drury - Paul Whittier
Bruce Myers - Dr. Khalid
Nadim Sawalha - Dr. El Sadek
Ian McDiarmid - Dr. Richter
Ahmed Osman - Yussef
Miriam Margolyes - Dr. Kadira
Michael Mellinger - Hamid
Leonard Maguire - John Matthews

:cheers:

Post subject: Re: The Awakening (1980)
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:41 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Only available on DVD in the UK and Australia, as far as I know. Rare movie for Heston, first and only horror movie he ever made, if I'm not forgetting another title.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:22 pm 
Michelangelo

Heston only played the leading man in one horror film, Awakening (1980).
But he also played a support role in another horror film, In the Mouthe of Madness (1994)
:scared:

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:19 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Yes, you're quite right, I completely forgot about that one. So that's two horror movies he has on his resumé. He sure did it all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:49 pm 
El Cid

THE AWAKENING usually gets bad reviews but I really love this movie, and so does my children.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:39 am 
Prince Judah

In recognition of Halloween, here's the Spanish poster for Heston's bearded foray into horror:

This is a film I haven't seen since its release to theaters; as mentioned above, there's no region 1 DVD. I never got the VHS but I do have the Laserdisc - I need to dig it out of a closet. Going by memory, Heston passed on THE OMEN (1976), which ended up starring Greg Peck, and then settled on this later, somewhat similar horror vehicle (THE OMEN was a big financial success). Here's an ad from that time and the Laserdisc cover:
ImageImage
The LD, btw, seems to be rare and selling for about $50 on E-Bay.. probably because there is no DVD in Region 1.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:02 am 
Astronaut

Well, the poster shows that he tries to look horrified, but... actually the ghosts are also afraid of our hero.!! Happy belated Halloween to everybody. I am going to post a new thread in The Saloon, please let us know how have you celebrated it.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:52 am 
Prince Judah

I just watched the first half of this film again on my LD (hey, it is Halloween).
For some reason, I thought the sequence which begins the film, taking place about 18 years earlier (at the time Heston's character's daughter is born), would be only about 10 minutes; that was going by memory, when I last watched this many years ago. Instead, it's a full half-hour. Heston plays this entire sequence without a beard, as if he were about 40 years old during this time frame (he was closing in on 60 in reality). I have to say it's amazing that he pulls this off - he looks in great shape for a guy pushing sixty.

When the story jumps ahead to 'the present' - when his daughter is played by Stephanie Zimbalist - he is then playing a guy close to his own real age, with a beard (I think it's a fake beard). He also is playing an Englishman - I remembered as the movie began that this is based on some story by Bram Stoker, the Dracula writer. The accent is not quite there 100% of the time. But, it does recall his role as Gordon in KHARTOUM.

I didn't think too much of this horror film when I first saw it many years ago, being underwhelmed; I was much younger. I found it to be fairly interesting this time around. If one watches and listens closely, one may pick up many details. The first sequence concerns Heston's preoccupation with his archaeological career - especially the dead Eqyptian princess - at the expense of his 'feeling neglected' wife. At one point, she makes a sad joke about how her being pregnant may be an immaculate conception. This creates a suggestion and atmosphere of the dark opposite of Christ's birth - an antichrist storyline like that in THE OMEN; I don't think that line was written by accident or is a coincidence.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:44 pm 
Michelangelo

The Awakening can be bought via download from the WBshop.com (US only)

http://www.wbshop.com/Awakening-The/1000022953,default,pd.html?cgid=

:sherlock:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:56 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
I just watched the first half of this film again on my LD (hey, it is Halloween).
For some reason, I thought the sequence which begins the film, taking place about 18 years earlier (at the time Heston's character's daughter is born), would be only about 10 minutes; that was going by memory, when I last watched this many years ago. Instead, it's a full half-hour. Heston plays this entire sequence without a beard, as if he were about 40 years old during this time frame (he was closing in on 60 in reality). I have to say it's amazing that he pulls this off - he looks in great shape for a guy pushing sixty.

I thought about that, too. He looked really good and passes as someone in his 40's, then 30 minutes later, you totally believe he's in his 60's. Great acting & make-up.

This sure was an unusual movie in Chuck's career, definitely stands out quite a bit. I don't think it's very good, it left me feeling pretty underwhelmed when the credits started rolling, despite the somewhat unexpected ending. It had great potential though, like Chrysagon said, it felt a lot like The Omen at times, which of course, is the superior movie of the two. The movie would have benefitted if it had been about 10-15 minutes longer and faster paced. I would have loved to have gotten more thrills and eerie scenes in there somehow, the story surely would have made that possible.

Perhaps this is a movie that grows on you on repeated viewings. It will be hard to find out since I don't see myself watching this one very often, compared to a lot of his other work.