Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Awakening (1980)
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:25 pm 
Prince Judah

Why forget Moses? He has shown four phases of a man's gradual aging within a single role! I haven't seen THE AWAKENING, but I can fully appreciate what he can do with his age, as far as it requires in acting.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:25 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I just purchased and received "The Awakening" on DVD. I bought it from Amazon. It's a Warner Brothers Archive DVD, which means they print these on demand. The price is $19.98 US , but is on sale right now for $17.98 US. The print is as good as the original VHS release, perhaps even better. There is no menu or special features on this DVD. Hope this info will help those who wish to own this Heston movie. It may not be his best movie, but I like it. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:24 pm 
Prince Judah

The full movie has been uploaded on the Toutube. Enjoy and get scared.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:40 pm 
El Cid

I watched THE AWAKENING again last night after finishing work and really enjoyed it. Spotted a couple of Indiana Jones-type scenes in it which really made me smile, knowing that Indy was based on Harry Steele.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:25 am 
El Cid

Next Sunday, 11 March, THE AWAKENING is being broadcast on The Horror Channel, Sky 319, Virgin 149, Freesat 138. The review by Adrian Turner in "Radio Times" gives the movie a good lambasting, and even some Chuck Heston fans on this forum don't appreciate this Heston Horror movie. But I really like this old-fashioned adventure flick.

Here's the short review by Adrian Turner.

THE AWAKENING * 12.45-2.45am
HORROR. This adaptation of Bram Stoker's THE JEWEL OF SEVEN STARS is a dreadful plod. Surprising, given the fact that screenwriters Allan Scott and Chris Bryant wrote Nicolas Roeg's DON'T LOOK NOW, the cinematography's by the great Jack Cardiff and director Mike Newell (who later made FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL) is behind the camera. Charlton Heston reads the script as if it were the Ten Commandments, forgetting Cecil B. DeMille's 11th commandment: Thou shalt not bore. Adrian Turner (UK/US, violence, swearing)

The one star * indicates that Turner thinks THE AWAKENING is "poor", which it most certainly isn't. I was very entertained by this horror movie, and Jack Cardiff's cinematography at The Valley of the King's is very beautiful.

Am I the only Heston fan who likes THE AWAKENING, I wonder?

Last edited by James Byrne on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:02 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

As I've previously mentioned, I'm not a big fan of this movie. A one-star rating, however, is pretty harsh IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:12 pm 
El Cid

Detective Thorn wrote:
As I've previously mentioned, I'm not a big fan of this movie. A one-star rating, however, is pretty harsh IMO.

Its VERY harsh, Thorn, but nowhere as horrendous as Roger Ebert's rancid review of it. THE AWAKENING did very well at the Box-Office the first week it opened and then everybody read Ebert's review and the public stayed away.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:55 pm 
Prince Judah

I'm one of those who disagree with most of Ebert's reviews, especially in the past 20 years or so, when I think he really went off the rails as far as film critique - but that's neither here-nor-there. Thorn mentioned in an earlier post here that this movie may be one that grows on a person and that's what happened with me. I found it to be on the dull side when I watched it in a theater way back around 1980 - not a 1 star movie as has been said but about 2 stars. But, relaxing with it on video, especially with the finally-released nice DVD picture, I find that I can appreciate it more. A good-looking video picture can make a difference with some films, even if it's a small one; I have the film on an old Laserdisc but even that is grainy compared to the DVD.

I will relate one personal anecdote about my experience with this film, and it's a positive one, though not in a way some might wish. Early in the film, there is a grisly death - the ones who have seen it know what I'm talking about; it involves a person falling but is done in a somewhat unusual way -- it's not just a simple long fall. I still remember the audience reaction during those few moments when I watched this in the theater long ago. Members of the audience gasped and 'oohed' and 'aahd' in shock and even amazement. Back then, this was a very visceral, gruesome depiction of a death, similar to some of the deaths in the Omen film series. Whatever one's opinion of such a death scene, I can say this much - the audience was not bored for those moments back in 1980. :scared:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:50 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Detective Thorn wrote:

Its VERY harsh, Thorn, but nowhere as horrendous as Roger Ebert's rancid review of it. THE AWAKENING did very well at the Box-Office the first week it opened and then everybody read Ebert's review and the public stayed away.

That's a damn shame, Chuck could have used a hit movie at that point in his career.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:32 am 
El Cid

Chrysagon wrote:
I'm one of those who disagree with most of Ebert's reviews, especially in the past 20 years or so, when I think he really went off the rails as far as film critique - but that's neither here-nor-there. Thorn mentioned in an earlier post here that this movie may be one that grows on a person and that's what happened with me. I found it to be on the dull side when I watched it in a theater way back around 1980 - not a 1 star movie as has been said but about 2 stars. But, relaxing with it on video, especially with the finally-released nice DVD picture, I find that I can appreciate it more. A good-looking video picture can make a difference with some films, even if it's a small one; I have the film on an old Laserdisc but even that is grainy compared to the DVD.

I will relate one personal anecdote about my experience with this film, and it's a positive one, though not in a way some might wish. Early in the film, there is a grisly death - the ones who have seen it know what I'm talking about; it involves a person falling but is done in a somewhat unusual way -- it's not just a simple long fall. I still remember the audience reaction during those few moments when I watched this in the theater long ago. Members of the audience gasped and 'oohed' and 'aahd' in shock and even amazement. Back then, this was a very visceral, gruesome depiction of a death, similar to some of the deaths in the Omen film series. Whatever one's opinion of such a death scene, I can say this much - the audience was not bored for those moments back in 1980. :scared:

Yes Chrysagon, Ebert is very over-rated as a film critic ... some of them are quite embarrassing, in fact. His review of THE AWAKENING being a prime example.

This is a special film for me, and brings back wonderful personal memories. THE AWAKENING was the very first film I recorded off the telly with my brand new video recorder in 1984. My youngest daughter, Kerry, especially loved it because of her interest in anything to do with Egypt, so we saw it quite a lot. That scene you describe involving the guy getting a pretty gruesome death while they are digging for the tomb is quite shocking and very effective. Its one of many fine sequences in this sorely abused movie.

Last edited by James Byrne on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next