Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Agony and the Ecstasy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:46 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Yes, it seems like a solid Blu-ray transfer, it received a glorious review on Blu-ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Agony ... 47/#Review
Like the new avatar, by the way!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:49 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Strange how the Bluray.com reviewer seems to have a problem with the mini-documentary - The Artist Who Did Not Want To Paint - which precedes the movie proper. I love that feature. Sometimes I simply watch the mini-doc as alone as a film in its own right. It is well photographed, and Jerry Goldsmith provides a beautiful score.

I'm also getting tired of people complaining that Michelangelo's sexuality is not brought out. I think they handled it very well. If one reads about Michelangelo, sexuality almost never enters into the story because he lived to produce art. He was often rather filthy, covered in grime and marble dust or paint. He would work until he dropped, sleep in his clothes and start back when he had rested. I think a lot of people cannot get past the fact that is primarily a modern conceit that a person is defined by his or her sexuality. I don't think the addition of Diane Cilento as Contessina de Medici is meant to be a love interest (Michelangelo rejects her overtures anyway). She would have known Michelangelo because he was informally adopted by her father Lorenzo. I think her purpose to be in the film is simply to add a woman to the proceedings. She also helps add a little background about Michelangelo's relationship with the Medici family.

I think I first saw the film when I was about 12. It was almost certainly on the ABC Sunday Night Movie (I don't think they showed the mini-doc). At the time, I knew nothing about Michelangelo or the Sistine Ceiling. I found it a fascinating story, and it led me to read up on Michelangelo and the Renaissance and his amazing output of art. I am looking forward to seeing this on Blu-ray.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:34 am 
Prince Judah

I just watched this again as part of TCM's line-up of Heston films tonight to salute the actor. Host Ben Mankiewicz had a bit of trivia to relate after it was over: according to Mankiewicz, Heston attended a preview screening of the film which had the best positive response of any film he had ever attended in such previews. However, the film's eventual modest box-office baffled Heston.

I can only make guesses as to the reasons for this, but it might have been the subject matter - about some artist in Italy, the Pope and the church... many people probably just were not excited over all that. Myself, I only became interested in the historical aspect of such films when I reached my thirties. Earlier today, I read an old comment on the IMDb boards about how this is a bad film. The comment turned out to be from some high school dude who had been forced to watch it in some art class. Sadly, I think films like this will always appeal mostly to an older crowd. There are always exceptions but generally I think this will always be the case.

This kind of thinking also extends to that mini-documentary which begins the film. I'll admit that when I first watched this film in my teens, I grew impatient with those first 10 or 15 minutes; it was an unusual way to begin a film and, to coin a phrase, I was baffled by such a "prologue." Of course, I don't mind it these days, but way back then, it just seemed tagged on to the film as a last-minute adjustment and something to suffer through until the film proper began. But, that's the teenage perspective... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I hope everyone is enjoying this Blu-ray. The Agony and the Ecstasy is one of the best Blu-ray mastering jobs in recent years and has awesome sound as well. Even when the story drags, one can get lost in the incredible details provided by this superb transfer.

On a side note, I think I paid around $16.99 for my Amazon pre-order of The Agony and the Ecstasy. Sionce that time, I have registered with Fox's direct website ~ FOX CONNECT. I recommend that everyone does so. They sometimes have 1-day sales when everything is half price with free shipping. Had I bought i]The Agony and the Ecstasy[/i] on such a sale, I could have gotten it for around $8.50. As it is, I did pick up the Fox Blu-rays of Cavalcade, The Black Swan, Viva Zapata!, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and North to Alaska for half price. If you register and sign up for email, you get notifications of the sales.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:49 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Ed Bannon wrote:
I hope everyone is enjoying this Blu-ray. The Agony and the Ecstasy is one of the best Blu-ray mastering jobs in recent years and has awesome sound as well. Even when the story drags, one can get lost in the incredible details provided by this superb transfer.

On a side note, I think I paid around $16.99 for my Amazon pre-order of The Agony and the Ecstasy. Sionce that time, I have registered with Fox's direct website ~ FOX CONNECT. I recommend that everyone does so. They sometimes have 1-day sales when everything is half price with free shipping. Had I bought i]The Agony and the Ecstasy[/i] on such a sale, I could have gotten it for around $8.50. As it is, I did pick up the Fox Blu-rays of Cavalcade, The Black Swan, Viva Zapata!, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and North to Alaska for half price. If you register and sign up for email, you get notifications of the sales.

I reckon the free shipping does not include us living outside the US?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:16 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Thorn, I doubt you guys in Finland would get free shipping (I don't when I order from Europe), but presumably you could get the good pricing, at least better pricing in comparson to any other titles you order from the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:43 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Ed Bannon wrote:
Thorn, I doubt you guys in Finland would get free shipping (I don't when I order from Europe), but presumably you could get the good pricing, at least better pricing in comparson to any other titles you order from the USA.

Ok, thanks for the tip! By the way, I'm Swedish, not Finnish :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:36 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Sorry, Thorn, I should have looked at your profile. I thought I'd remembered seeing "Finland". Must've been someone at another forum.

Thorn, are you able to play discs from multiple regions? I am curious as to which of our international members can do so. Some of my favorite discs are region B Blu-rays, or region 2 or 4 DVDs. It's tough to be a film buff and be tied down to one region! I use an Oppo BD-93 modded to play various regions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:56 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Ed Bannon wrote:
Sorry, Thorn, I should have looked at your profile. I thought I'd remembered seeing "Finland". Must've been someone at another forum.

That's quite all right :D

Ed Bannon wrote:
Thorn, are you able to play discs from multiple regions? I am curious as to which of our international members can do so. Some of my favorite discs are region B Blu-rays, or region 2 or 4 DVDs. It's tough to be a film buff and be tied down to one region! I use an Oppo BD-93 modded to play various regions.

Oh, heck yes! I've always had region free DVD and Blu-ray players. There has never been any other option for me because as you say, it's a must for a film buff. I buy movies from all over the world, but mostly the US where a lot of the good stuff is. Even if a movie is available here I may import it from somewhere else depending on the special features and so on.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:01 am 
Call Me Harry

You know that scene where Chuck stands on the cliff and sees the cloud that inspires him to paint the ceiling his way? That scene gets featured in "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" towards the end on TV being watched by one of the side characters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next