Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Soylent Green twist - obvious?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:21 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I'd like to ask this question both to those who knew the twist at the end and to those who didn't know before going to see the movie. Did you think the twist...

Spoiler:
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!

was obvious? I've read some people on other boards saying it's one of the most obvious twists ever. I'm not sure if I agree or not. When I first saw the movie, I knew the twist, so when watching it, I was pretty much just waiting for the big revelation. I haven't given it much thought on repeated viewings, but will definitely do so the next time I watch it.

What do you guys think? Was it obvious or were you shocked when the twist was first revealed?

Post subject: Re: Soylent Green twist - obvious?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:59 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

No one here has an opinion about the infamous ending of Soylent Green? :soylent:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:38 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I do know the twist, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:15 pm 
Marabunta

For me it wasn't obvious. I had read the novel "Make Room, Make Room" which was the basis of the movie and its ending was totally different. Sometimes it doesn't pay to read the novel first. :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:15 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Leiningen wrote:
For me it wasn't obvious. I had read the novel "Make Room, Make Room" which was the basis of the movie and its ending was totally different. Sometimes it doesn't pay to read the novel first. :cheers:

Really? I had no idea that the ending in the novel was different, actually. Seems they did just what they did with Planet of the Apes, make up their own ending/twist. Definitely worked!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:41 pm 
Prince Judah

I haven't posted on this thread until now because I was trying to remember how it was the first time I watched this film, very long ago. I still can't recall for certain if I knew the ending already, but I think not. I may have heard a rumor or something beforehand. I do think there was a kind of shock for me in the scene where Thorn (Heston) first sees a conveyor belt with the soylent green pellets :soylent: moving along; it's right after he was
Spoiler:
looking at some dead bodies he had been following.
The way it's filmed, the connection is made obvious and is a sudden shock. It was like, 'oh, no... ugh.'

Strange coincidence - I just read a web article earlier today about
Spoiler:
how prehistoric humans were cannibals; no lie - this is it here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40641062
So, in light of this, the film Soylent Green now also seems to be telling us that we - society - will go full circle in this kind of nourishment. :soylent: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:18 pm 
Marabunta

Chrysagon wrote:
Strange coincidence - I just read a web article earlier today about
Spoiler:
how prehistoric humans were cannibals; no lie - this is it here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40641062
So, in light of this, the film Soylent Green now also seems to be telling us that we - society - will go full circle in this kind of nourishment. :soylent: :shock:

Ugh there went lunch! :saywhat:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:29 pm 
Prince Judah

Well, to answer the question: I read reviews of the movie before watching it. But I was eager to see how the film keeps the suspense and brings about the end. Think of the scene where the white-clad 'medical men' of the 'home' hand the dead bodies to the back-wearing agents of the Soylent company... and Thorn keeps watching-- the symbolism is stirring as I found. from that moment I had to hold my breath to see what's happening, though I knew the end. So I must say it is not 'obvious', if I hadn't read about the movie before, I could have been really taken aback.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:49 pm 
Cheating Bastard

CHASEN'S CHILI IS WAY BETTER THEN " SOYLENT GREEN ". TRY SOME TODAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:33 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I first saw SOYLENT GREEN in the theater as a double feature with WESTWORLD (another great film), when I was 11. I loved both movies, but at that age of course I didn't make any kind of connection with the "twist". Everyone says the ending is obvious and I suppose these days it's easy to figure out.

Of course the famous closing line in the movie has been parodied so often by now that it's almost a given!