Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:13 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Soylent Green
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:53 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Richard Fleischer
Production year: 1973
Starring: Charlton Heston, Edward G. Robinson, Chuck Connors

Plot:

tale of Earth in despair in 2022. Natural food like fruits, vegetables, and meat among others are now extinct. Earth is overpopulated and New York City has 40 million starving, poverty stricken people. The only way they survive is with water rations and eating a mysterious food called Soylent. A detective investigates the murder of the president of the Soylent company. The truth he uncovers is more disturbing than the Earth in turmoil when he learns the secret ingredient of Soylent Green.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: Soylent Green
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:54 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

NOTE: This thread will be used for general talk of the movie Soylent Green. If you there's anything specific you'd like to discuss, please start a new topic in this section.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:44 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

This is one of the finest sci-fi movies ever made. It's certainly one of my favorites. It's damn near the perfect sci-fi thriller. It has all the elements of a classic; A dystopic planet Earth seen decades into the future, it's dark and has an anti hero set to save the day.

It's such an even movie, there are no parts that drags, you're invested in the story from minute one. I just love the details in this, the way they illustrate what for them is absolute luxury is something we take for granted in everyday life. Small things like meat, soap, a hot shower. Not to mention the images of overpopulation and unbearing heat. They really nailed it in this one, it all looks so real!

It also helps that one of the most widely known/used quotes ever is uttered in the movie:

Spoiler:
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Two thumbs up and a handful of yummy :soylent: biscuits.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:05 am 
No Water For Me

I just love the eating scene where Hestons character gets to eat real food for the first time in his life. This is enjoyable movie overall.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:29 pm 
Marabunta

I just noticed that Joseph Cotten is in this movie.....I really like him, so maybe I better check this movie out some day. Does he have a significant part?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Colonel Taylor wrote:
I just love the eating scene where Hestons character gets to eat real food for the first time in his life. This is enjoyable movie overall.

That's an extremely touching scenes, and one of my favorites as well.

amyk wrote:
I just noticed that Joseph Cotten is in this movie.....I really like him, so maybe I better check this movie out some day. Does he have a significant part?

Sorry to say he has a very small part. But it's still worth checking out, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:06 pm 
Marabunta

I did watch the trailer and became very intrigued....so many movies to watch!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:34 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Newspaper ad from The Milwaukee Journal - April 1973.

Attachments:
soylent 2.png
soylent 2.png [ 269.33 KiB | Viewed 4206 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:35 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

and another one from the St. Petersburg newspaper.

Attachments:
soylent.png
soylent.png [ 268.11 KiB | Viewed 4205 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:57 am 
Call Me Harry

I heard this recently got a Blu-Ray release. Entertainment Weekly referred to it as having "some of Heston's zestiest over acting." I was like 'Damn, is it really that essential to make fun of him?' :evil: