Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:51 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Skyjacked
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:07 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: John Guillermin
Production year: 1972
Starring: Charlton Heston, James Brolin, Yvette Mimieux

Plot:

A Los Angeles-bound commercial air flight is hijacked to Russia

Post subject: Re: Skyjacked
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:07 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

NOTE: This thread will be used for general talk of the movie Skyjacked. If there's anything specific you'd like to discuss, please start a new topic in this section.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:50 pm 
Michelangelo

Skyjacked - Low On Fuel

:cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:36 pm 
Marabunta

I love that movie poster! And of course I'm trying to guess which one is a maniac with a bomb! Makes me want to see the movie to find out which one is the maniac. I'll take a wild guess that it's Susan Dey.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Newspaper ad from The Milwaukee Journal - December, 1972.

Attachments:
skyjacked.png
skyjacked.png [ 275.88 KiB | Viewed 3498 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:05 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Turkish poster...

Attachments:
sky.png
sky.png [ 184.09 KiB | Viewed 3497 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:52 pm 
Prince Judah

amyk wrote:
...of course I'm trying to guess which one is a maniac with a bomb! Makes me want to see the movie to find out which one is the maniac. I'll take a wild guess that it's Susan Dey.

Good guess... yes, she reveals herself to be a ninja assassin in disguise, karate chops Rosie Grier and Mike Henry, shoots Heston... ;) did I have anybody going here..? :lol: But, is she really the least likely suspect..? Does anyone think there's the slightest chance that it's Heston himself..? (Now that would have been a memorable movie!)

I checked this one out again; it's on DVD, part of a 3-film set called CULT CAMP CLASSICS 3 - TERRORIZED TRAVELERS. It doesn't really belong in this set; the other film is about hotroddin' teen menaces in the sixties and the 3rd one is ZER0 HOUR, the old film on which the spoof AIRPLANE! is based.

Though SKYJACKED is thought of as a smaller cousin to Heston's AIRPORT '75, it actually reminded me of an old John Wayne film; I'm not 100% sure, but I think the one I'm thinkin' of is THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY (1954). Wayne was in more than one film where-in he played a pilot, but that's probably the one. There's an early scene where Wayne is checking out the underside of the big airplane that he's about to pilot and it's very similar to Heston's early scene in SKYJACKED. Later scenes also make SKYJACKED seem to be almost a remake of it. It's logical: you plan a remake of an old John Wayne adventure thriller in the air, so who do you get to stand in for Wayne? Heston, natch.

Does Heston get killed at the end..? I won't reveal, don't want to ruin it (at least one person already posted that they haven't seen it). But, this was a period where it seemed as if Heston prefered to die in just about all his films... btw, Claude Akins is billed pretty high, but he doesn't appear inside the airplane at any point and doesn't appear in the same scene with any of the main characters.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:25 am 
Prince Judah

It's been a long time since there have been any posts in the Disaster forum and almost a year since anything was posted for SKYJACKED, so I'm taking the opportunity to point to a review just published at CINEMARETRO by Lee Pfeiffer. I reprint most of it here and bold the passages which I find to be key (take note that the full review reveals the surprise villain):

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/a ... ESTON.html :arrow: REVIEW by Lee Pfeiffer by way of the DVD:

I hadn't seen the 1972 thriller Skyjacked since its initial release in 1972. In viewing Warner Brothers' DVD edition, I was totally prepared for another cheesy Seventies disaster film - an Airport Lite, if you will. Initially, my premonitions were shaping up to come true. The script follows the tradition of presenting the quasi-all-star cast by rote, with each actor given a few precious seconds to establish their personality quirks and telegraph what their dilemma will be once the inevitable crisis unfolds. In this case, the plot is simple enough to make The Poseidon Adventure look like The Big Sleep. Rock-jawed Charlton Heston is the pilot of a commercial airliner on which the head flight attendant (or "stewardess" in the vernacular of the day) is former lover Yvette Mimieux.

With all the stock characters from disaster movies seemingly present, I wondered sarcastically where the prequisite priest or nun was - when, bingo! The camera pans across the cabin to show a priest sitting near the front row. I expressed relief that at least there wasn't the crumudgeonly flight controller who talks the captain through the crisis a la George Kennedy in Airport when- you guessed it, Claude Akins pops up as a Kennedy clone. However, just when Skyjacked is beginning to shape up as an inferior movie-of-the-week, the screenplay takes a more interesting turn and director John Guillerman actually milks some suspense from the routine situation.
...the plot picks up steam and avoids the obvious cliche of making Heston a super hero. Playing against type, Heston avoids heroics and realistically puts the interests of his passengers first...

Skyjacked is nowhere near the top of the disaster movie list. That honor still goes to The Towering Inferno, the Citizen Kane of the genre. However, it is nowhere near the worst (see Irwin Allen's The Swarm - the most awful "bee" movie ever made). Although Skyjacked suffers from '70s kitsch, there are plenty of enjoyable elements. For one, Heston is unusually subdued here and doesn't ham it up as he was inclined to do in so many films. His macho screen presence makes you all the more aware of the lack of such leading men in today's film industry. The supporting cast doesn't rise to the level of other disaster films, but then again Skyjacked doesn't pretend to be more than it is: an above average TV movie.
Passengers smoke freely in the main cabin, [the villain] simply walks onboard toting a bomb, hand grenades and a full-size machine gun, and Heston smokes a pipe in the cockpit. Throw in a cliched musical score and the obligatory dreamy flashbacks of Heston's affair with Yvette Mimieux and you have the kind of guilty pleasure that probably seems more enjoyable today than it did upon its initial release. If that wasn't enough, you even get ex-Tarzan Mike Henry as the co-pilot!

EXTRAS: Surprisingly, Warners -which is always generous with extras- drops the ball this time. There isn't even a single trailer included. The transfer, however, looks terrific.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regard to what I bolded, I tried to explain this concept in a couple of posts a year ago or so, about how none of the current crop of actors can convey an adult macho male like actors of years past, notably Heston. These days, actors come across like overgrown kids, posturing to be tough-seeming; it was different back then, even in average films like this one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:40 pm 
Prince Judah

I appreciate what you say, Knight. I am poor person in respect of my knowledge of Disaster movies. I have seen only one-- that is 'Earthquake'. But somehow it made me feel the same thing as you say about 'Skyjacked' as well. Yeah, his manly presence is both the central pivot of attraction and portrayed in a down-to earth manner. To him things are done, and despite his effort to struggle out of the disaster, he is subdued. It is idealistic in a way, but it is also very realistic.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:03 am 
Call Me Harry

Gonna line this up on Netflix soon. Sadly, "Gray Lady Down" got tagged as a "long wait". :(