Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:45 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Skyjacked
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:21 am 
Call Me Harry

Okay I would have gotten to this film earlier but "Gray Lady Down" became available so not wanting to miss that in case the window of availability closed I put that ahead of this and only got to this one today.

Having just watched it, honestly, I thought James Brolin's hijacker was kind of lame, and my favorite moment ended up being at the end when Chuck hit Brolin over the head with a flashlight.

Chuck himself was good, the supporting cast was... okay; one of them, Nichoals Hammond, would briefly portray Marvel Comics Spider-Man in the short lived live action TV series of the late 70s. Production values and music were also a plus. But on the whole... Airport - both the Burt Lancaster one and the one Chuck did - were better.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:49 pm 
Astronaut

Flashlight? I've forgotten that part, but i remember other details about the fight. Strange, I need to check it again. James Brolin does not look quite 'lame' to me, but yes, certainly poor as compared to Heston.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:48 am 
Prince Judah

I also don't know if I would go so far as to call Brolin's character as lame - maybe he overacted a bit. I think Brolin was often dismissed as a typical pretty-boy Hollywood actor in the seventies but he wasn't that bad in his various roles, in my opinion (in fact, I may have mentioned this before, but Brolin was regarded as the TV Heston in some circles because he did a few TV movies around that time, including the disaster effort A Short Walk to Daylight). I also think the intent here in Skyjacked was to go for the unexpected, against the grain, by having Brolin's handsome American soldier be the psychotic villain. I admit I was a bit surprised when I first saw this and watched Brolin take out the huge Rosie Grier with his karate moves - Brolin's character was essentially a trained killer and the audience was supposed to get tense at this point with the realization that he could kill with his bare hands, let alone use a gun or grenades.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:32 am 
Call Me Harry

Well maybe "lame" wasn't the right word, but something about Brolin's performance in the role just wasn't clicking with me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:25 pm 
Cheating Bastard

Brolin's character got just what he deserved...not a bullet, a grenade, a spear, or a knife....just a flashlight. Good enough for him!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:08 am 
Call Me Harry

So... was I the only one who felt Brolin's character didn't measure up to the other antagonists Chuck faced off with during his career? I know it's hard to be as impressive as the likes of Yul Brynner, Stephen Boyd, Richard Harris and Maurice Evans (man, it's sad to think of how many of these guys are gone now), but I do think Brolin could've been more than what he was in the film.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:41 pm 
Prince Judah

Well, I would say if the character of Brolin is surely not a great antagonist, it is also true that in this movie, chuck's character is not as sublime and magnanimous as in his epic roles. He plays the common man, somewhat intimidated, yet having a dignity and integrity which spurns him on to fight up to the end. But if you talk of 'greatness', it is lacking in a disaster movie like this. I am not degrading it in terms of epics or historical movies, i am simply showing that it is a different kind of genre where neither the protagonist not the antagonist can be too great, it is not so much about individual tragedy, passion, glory, idealism or strature, it rather focus on the disastrous' situation itself, and how it affects different people .

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:21 am 
El Cid

SKYJACKED is easily Heston's best 'disaster' flick, I really enjoyed this one at the ABC cinema in Lincoln when it first came out. It was that realistic - it was actually banned in Australia!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:21 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
SKYJACKED is easily Heston's best 'disaster' flick, I really enjoyed this one at the ABC cinema in Lincoln when it first came out. It was that realistic - it was actually banned in Australia!

Really? I did not know that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:17 am 
El Cid

Yes, Thorn, the Aussie Government thought it showed how easy it would be to hi-jack a plane, and they didn't want any copy-cat loonies doing what James Brolin did in the movie. Years later - 9/11 - the Aussies would prove to be correct.