Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 837 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
 Post subject: Re: Secret of the Incas
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:38 am 
El Cid

Is this remark supposed to be funny? take a look at this article from The Los Angeles Times, April 07, 1996 http://articles.latimes.com/1996-04-07/ ... beach-pain
========================================================================
THIS ONE'S FOR YOU
Having achieved new visibility as a star of TV ads for defeated ballot propositions, Charlton Heston now seems intent on establishing himself as a rewriter of television commercials (Film Clips, March 31). In the wake of Heston's commercial for Bud Light, he's working hard to distance himself from the ranks of the alcohol pitchmen he now joins (Bob Uecker, Spuds McKenzie), bragging about his salary and his creative input into the commercial.

And in detailing his creative process, even as Heston quotes Lord Olivier's advice not to tell stories in which you appear to be boasting, he's breaking the advice, explaining how the original dialogue was "hideous" and how he, Charlton Heston, saved it. It's hideous, apparently, for an actor to talk about how he really directed a scene, but no problem to talk about how he really rewrote it.

But why complain? The more work Heston gets, the less likely he'll have time to express his tired reactionary views in places like Calendar's letters section. And in Heston's own words (or were they actually written for him?), that's something not even a lawyer could argue with.

BRIAN NELSON

Van Nuys

=======================================================================

Charlton Heston says that, in his beer commercial, "I allowed the audience to laugh at me." Don't worry, Chuck, we often snuck in snickers without permission. (Remember "Secret of the Incas"?)

And sorry to play the race card, but that chariot donnybrook was directed by Andrew "Bondy" Marton, not Yak Canutt.

AL HIX

Hollywood
=======================================================================

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:11 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Yeah, don't see the humor in that either.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:36 pm 
El Cid

Al Hix from Hollywood is a right little clever dick, here is another example of his hilarious sense of humour, from the Los Angeles Times, 29 July 1973. https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/166535278/

For the life of me I cannot fathom why Al Hix found Heston in SECRET OF THE INCAS so unintentionally amusing. It seems Hix was a newspaper troll years before the epidemic spread to the internet, Thorn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:27 pm 
El Cid

James Byrne wrote:
There are only a few of Chuck's female co-stars from his 1950's movies that are still with us, Thorn.

Of hand, I can only name ....

Rhonda Fleming PONY EXPRESS
Lydia Clarke Heston BAD FOR EACH OTHER
Marion Ross SECRET OF THE INCAS
Julie Adams THE PRIVATE WAR OF MAJOR BENSON
Carroll Baker THE BIG COUNTRY
Claire Bloom THE BUCCANEER
Haya Harareet BEN-HUR
Virginia McKenna THE WRECK OF THE MARY DEARE

.... and thats it.

Considering how many actresses were in the 20 movies he made in the 1950's, that is a very small number, sadly.

I wrote that on 7 April this year but forgot to include Zsa Zsa Gabor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zsa_Zsa_Gabor who has just passed away at the grand age of 99. The amazing lady had a very brief cameo in TOUCH OF EVIL with Chuck. http://c8.alamy.com/comp/BNWA7X/zsa-zsa ... BNWA7X.jpg

Here they are on the Bob Hope Show rehearsing a skit for MOULIN ROUGE, 15 January 1953. http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-p ... /167435216

Many years later they look great together at some movie function. http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/act ... ?s=594x594

But in this photo Chuck looks slightly shocked at what Zsa has just said to him http://prinzforgovernor.com/joomla-us/i ... party2.jpg

Rest in Peace Zsa Zsa Gabor, the world will be a lot duller without you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:37 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I totally missed the news of her passing.

R.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:44 am 
El Cid

Here's a review that actually insults a movie fan's intelligence. I'm guessing that the reviewer is very young.

http://letterboxd.com/film/secret-of-th ... /activity/

MichaelEternity
Review by MichaelEternity PATRON
Secret of the Incas 1954 ★★ Watched Aug 10, 2016

MichaelEternity’s review published on Letterboxd :
Mike and Dave's Scavenger Hunt, Vol. 1! #20: Watch a movie set in a real place that you'd love to visit someday

An adventure film that was popular enough to increase tourism to Peru in the 1950s but that's about it as far as its legacy (have you ever heard of it? Be honest). Charlton Heston is a tourist guide trying to finagle his way to the ruins of Macchu Picchu in South America so he can find a treasured artifact; he picks up a dame along the way (Nicole Maurey, who just died earlier this year in fact) and has to deal with both an archaeologist (Robert Young) and an old nemesis (rascally Thomas Mitchell) once he arrives. There's no action, little to no suspense, nary an exciting sequence to be found, and only a couple mild stand-offs to qualify as violence, but this isn't a failing necessarily, since it seems intentional. It's an adventure in the sense that protagonists are traveling in search of an exotic item, and end up at a rare wonder of the world in the mountains. If all you want from your adventure is basic plot and some cool scenery, then you have low expectations, c'mon.

This movie might be worth a laugh at Charlton Heston's expense, as he plays a pretty big jerk that you just want to knee in the groin for most of the movie, even though he's ostensibly the hero. He has this perpetual cynical grin and treats everyone like crap to get what he wants. Redemption finds him at the end, but it's unnatural that we're not even asked to root for his character as the movie plods along for an hour and a half before that. He's such a cad he doesn't even get the girl - she's wooed by secondary player Young.

Other scant motives for seeking this one out: for nostalgic or time capsule purposes, maybe during research on the origins of Indiana Jones (whose iconic hat and attire were modeled exactly after Heston's adventurer), while I chose it in my Scavenger Hunt for its on-location footage of Macchu Picchu, a place I don't ever expect to visit but man if I didn't used to daydream about those aerial shots I saw in books and documentary programs, of a crumbled village etched out in the verdant peaks above a vast mountain range. A hidden echo of civilization like that stokes the imagination - for a long time as a kid I tried to develop a huge action story about an alien invasion that climaxed right at that spot, envisioning that it might someday be captured on film with complex action choreography taking full advantage of its striking geography.

I guess "Secret of the Incas" beat me to the punch, and it's pretty awesomely scenic to get the ground-level view of the characters hiking towards it, then spending a few days walking around in it, but beyond that it's an inert utilization of the area. It could be done better, more memorably I tells ya. Hopefully not like in a fucking "Transformers" sequel, but somehow, eventually, in a cool way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:24 pm 
El Cid

Here is the Lux Radio Theater version of SECRET OF THE INCAS, with photos of the movie. Well worth listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9oWOhqwz70

Uploaded on 11 March 2014, the radio show has had 2,785 views so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:30 pm 
El Cid

I have just received a few 1950's Charlton Heston movie Press Sheets from Australia.
Press Sheets were delivered to the cinema along with the film to encourage the local theatre manager to promote the movie.

AUSTRALIAN PRESS SHEET FOR "SECRET OF THE INCAS"

LOVE, GREED AND PAGAN RITES
HIGHLIGHT ROUSING THRILLER "SECRET OF THE INCAS"

Harry Steele (Charlton Heston) is an American adventurer in Peru determined to acquire the sacred jewelled sunburst stolen from the Inca Indians centuries ago. According to legend, the fabulous treasure was hidden in a tomb at Machu Picchu, high in the Andes Mountains. Only after it be restored to the Incas, can their ancient civilization be revived.

Also coveting the priceless treasure is Ed Morgan (Thomas Mitchell), a fortune-mad opportunist who has been making plans for years to get hold of it.

In his search for a plane to take him to the treasure, Harry meets Elena Antonescu (Nicole Maurey), a beautiful refugee from behind the Iron Curtain, who is being hunted down by the Rumanian consul. In her desperation to get to the United States, Elena strikes a bargain with Harry which enables him to steal the pursuing consul's private plane.

Harry and Elena fly together to Machu Picchu where they encounter an archaeological expedition headed by Dr. Stanley Moorehead (Robert Young). Moorehead is immediately attracted to Elena and proposes marriage. However, by now she has fallen in love with the unscrupulous Harry.

Helping Moorehead in his scientific endeavors, is a colony of Incas, among them Kori-Tika (Yma Sumac), the exotic descendant of an Inca ruler. At night she observes ancient custom and sings beautiful songs of praise to the Inca sun god.

With the help of a map and several clues unearthed by Moorehead, Harry finds his way to the sunburst. Close on his heels is Morgan. A terrific struggle between the two men ensues, during which Morgan at gunpoint, steals the treasure from Harry and flees with it into the jungle. He is pursued not only by Harry, but by the aroused Incas as well. After putting up a battle, Morgan becomes physically exhausted, slips and goes to his death in the deep valley below.

Harry now has the treasure for which he has waited so long. However, he has come to realize what the sunburst means to the Incas, and voluntarily returns it to them. His reward is the better life he finds with Elena.

CENSORSHIP CLASSIFICATION For General Exhibition G. for N.Z.

QUOTA NO: 9038

LENGTH: 91113 ft

RUNNING TIME: 101 mins

INCA BALLY GIRL
An attractive bally girl, tanned and exotically made up to resemble the Inca priestess portrayed by Yma Sumac in "SECRET OF THE INCAS," should stir up a hurricane of interest in your play date. An oilcloth sign on your "Incan" charmer's back as she promenades along Main Street, should bear the provocative message: "An ancient curse forbids my revealing the "SECRET OF THE INCAS!" Learn about it at the Gem Theatre now!

TRAVEL AGENCY
This picture was filmed in Peru. If there is a travel agency in town here is an angle for a tie-up:
Use stills and a window card reading:-
NO MATTER WHERE YOU WANT TO TRAVEL WE CAN ARRANGE IT.
SEE "SECRET OF THE INCAS" FILMED IN FAR OFF PERU AT THE ......... THEATRE

YMA SUMAC RECORDS
Yma Sumac, the newest and most sensational name in music today, renders her own inimitable rendition of three atmospheric tunes in "SECRET OF THE INCAS." Entitled "Virgin of the Sun God," "Earthquake" and "High Andes," all of these songs are featured in a special Yma Sumac record album. Released by Capital and entitled "Voice of the Xtabay," this album is already a leading favorite amongst the nation's music fans.

You can turn these extremely popular Yma Sumac recordings into extra box-office gravy by seeing to it that they are featured, along with appropriate "SECRET OF THE INCAS" credits, in music store window displays, every local juke box and over the air via radio disc jockey shows. Go to it now!

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN TITLE
The new, highly attractive God Save the Queen title is now available at all branches. You will need this item for special occasions as well as opening or closing your regular performance.

This Press Sheet reminded me that God Save the Queen was played after the films had finished in those days, in the 1950's and 1960's. Nice to know that they did it in Australia as well, it being part of the British Empire, as it was called then, (it's called the Commonwealth now).

Regarding the "Bally Girl" bit. I never actually saw anyone in my local High Street walking the streets promoting a movie in the 50s/60s, but here is a wonderful photo of a "Singing Cowboy" promoting JOHNNY GUITAR in New York in 1954. SECRET OF THE INCAS is playing across the road. Terrific photo!
http://www.elvisechoesofthepast.com/wp- ... May-03.jpg

Here is a an Australian Press Sheet for THE AWAKENING. Not a patch on the 1950's stuff, unfortunately.
http://picclick.com.au/THE-AWAKENING-Or ... id=1&pid=1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:07 pm 
El Cid

Some interesting recent comments from the Youtube version of SECRET OF THE INCAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20TAGRElvfE

Louis Diedricks
Sure looks a like Indiana Jones used some of this material.

Paul O'Sullivan
Huh I wonder if Spielberg ever saw this before he created RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

Gohot229
Someone shoot the howling Indian

MIKE VON BACH
YMA SUMAC is the name of the singer. She was Actually from that town were the pyramid was found.

Coolhand Lippo
who wears a dress in the jungle? The same 1 who goes out in midday sun.

Steven White
I asked my grandmother (born 1886) about women wearing dresses in pioneer days. Answer is simple...They could squat a Pee using the dress as a privacy screen. Women didn't commonly wear pants or jeans, even in schools, until the 1950s.

acorn sucks
No better actor than Chuck.

pia suoja
so Nasca lines were NOT discovered by Von Däniken, but these film makers?

Cuts rose scents
pia suoja
They were made for a movie set but the scene was cut out of this movie.

April Doornbos
What about the bras they wore in those days , who had breasts shaped like that , handsome though that Charlton Heston .. they don't make them like that any more

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:45 am 
El Cid

4 FEBRUARY IS PISCO SOUR DAY IN PERU!

Here is Harry Steele enjoying a couple with his new found friends

https://yooniqimages.blob.core.windows. ... 342851.jpg

On a more serious note, my friend in New York, Hugh O'Brian, alias "hobnob" has just notified me that the IMDb message boards are being scrapped very shortly. Here is the official announcement-

IMDb Message Boards Announcement

IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.

Increasingly, IMDb customers have migrated to IMDb's social media accounts as the primary place they choose to post comments and communicate with IMDb's editors and one another. IMDb's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/imdb) and official Twitter account (https://twitter.com/imdb) have an audience of more than 10 million engaged fans. IMDb also maintains official accounts on Snapchat (https://www.snapchat.com/add/imdblive), Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/imdbofficial/), YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/imdb), and Tumblr (http://imdb.tumblr.com/).

Because IMDb's message boards continue to be utilized by a small but passionate community of IMDb users, we announced our decision to disable our message boards on February 3, 2017 but will leave them open for two additional weeks so that users will have ample time to archive any message board content they'd like to keep for personal use. During this two-week transition period, which concludes on February 19, 2017, IMDb message board users can exchange contact information with any other board users they would like to remain in communication with (since once we shut down the IMDb message boards, users will no longer be able to send personal messages to one another). We regret any disappointment or frustration IMDb message board users may experience as a result of this decision.

IMDb is passionately committed to providing innovative ways for our hundreds of millions of users to engage and communicate with one another. We will continue to enhance our current offerings and launch new features in 2017 and beyond that will help our customers communicate and express themselves in meaningful ways while leveraging emerging technologies and opportunities.

I am pleased that I archived every single IMDb message that was posted on the SECRET OF THE INCAS board!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 837 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next