Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:07 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Ridley Scott's biblical epic Exodus
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:42 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Anyone here seen it yet?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:13 am 
Prince Judah

I haven't bothered to go see it; I don't have anything against it really but I've seen the TV spots many times and they always stress the big wave sequence when apparently the Egyptian army is about to get swamped, and that tells me there isn't much else to the film, especially since such computer FX are not that impressive anymore (the previews suggest that these are wave FX unlike anything seen by audiences before, but for some reason I still find the old FX in the 1956 version as more spectacular - go figure). Also, I've written this in other threads - I just don't think there are actors available these days for such epic roles. It just doesn't work anymore. There's also been some strange and off-putting publicity surrounding this film, such as lead actor Bale comparing Moses and his people to modern-day terrorists. This tells me that the story in this one may not be to my tastes.

This film hasn't done very well at the box office in the USA - it will end with about $65 million, very low for an epic and also for a film that should have attracted a large religious audience (Christians); there have been several small Christian films last year such as Heaven is For Real which have done better ($91 million) or the same (God's Not Dead; Son of God - both about $60 million). These films were done for peanuts, whereas Exodus cost about $140 million to make. Noah, the film with Russell Crowe, also did better, about $101 million in the USA. However, as with certain types of films, Exodus will do about 3 times the business in the rest of the world that it did in the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:54 pm 
Prince Judah

Chrysagon wrote:
I just don't think there are actors available these days for such epic roles. It just doesn't work anymore. There's also been some strange and off-putting publicity surrounding this film, such as lead actor Bale comparing Moses and his people to modern-day terrorists. This tells me that the story in this one may not be to my tastes.

I agree full-heartedly. They fall short of doing epic things any more. And this terrorist-comparison is very irritating, if they think it will give any new point-of-view or interpretation, they are surely on the wrong way of doing publicity.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:49 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
There's also been some strange and off-putting publicity surrounding this film, such as lead actor Bale comparing Moses and his people to modern-day terrorists. This tells me that the story in this one may not be to my tastes.

I have skipped the movie as well, at least in theaters. Now when reading this, I'm glad I did.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:31 pm 
Prince Judah

Here are the results as of now of an on-going poll on IMDb, about who was the better Moses:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:38 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I can't believe it's as close as it is. Can you still vote on this poll, Chrysagon? If so, could you provide a link?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:16 pm 
Prince Judah

Yes, I think it's a relatively new poll and there have already been several votes on it since I posted the snapshot above. Here's the link: http://www.imdb.com/poll/r7fBWEVtbyQ/?ref_=ur_po

I didn't think it was that close since Heston has twice as many votes as Bale, but I'm not surprised that Bale has his share of fans; remember, many out there look at the 1956 film version as way outdated and campy, and there are others who simply don't like Heston for other reasons. Of course, there's a reason that the old 1956 version was one of the biggest films of all time and still popular viewing on Easter (just this past week). Heston probably was a large part of that popularity, the presence he brought to the Moses role.

I finally checked out the new Exodus film (Pay On Demand Channel) out of curiosity. It was what I expected - the roles were all played in contemporary fashion. Many current film fans prefer that, but to me, all the actors including Bale came across like just that - actors dressed in costumes, pretending to be these supposed historical figures. When Moses and Ramesses speak to each other in Exodus , they sound like 21st-century guys. The old film, by contrast, transported me to another time, another era.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:27 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I just thought Heston's Moses was so ingrained in at least the American audience that he should win by a landslide. No one seemed to like the new movie, either. Oh well, I'm adding my vote to Heston! Don't know when I'll get to watching the new movie.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:14 am 
Cheating Bastard

Heston is Moses......his portrayal is iconic in our culture same as:
Heston is Ben-Hur....his portrayal is iconic.
Heston is El Cid.....his portrayal is iconic.
Heston is George Taylor....his portrayal is iconic.

All others who come after are merely usurpers who fail to measure up.....Wahlberg, Bale, and now Huston.......

No amount of CGI can overcome true star power.......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:38 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

General Gordon wrote:
Heston is Moses......his portrayal is iconic in our culture same as:
Heston is Ben-Hur....his portrayal is iconic.
Heston is El Cid.....his portrayal is iconic.
Heston is George Taylor....his portrayal is iconic.

All others who come after are merely usurpers who fail to measure up.....Wahlberg, Bale, and now Huston.......

No amount of CGI can overcome true star power.......

Hear, hear! Couldn't agree more. Nice to see you back on the forum!