Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: References to Charlton Heston
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:29 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I love spotting and finding out references made to Chuck, so I thought a thread where we list all these references was a good idea.

How to do it is pretty simple; if you watch a movie, TV-show, listen to a song etc, and Charlton Heston (or perhaps one of his movies or characters he played) is mentioned, please tell us about it by posting the details in this thread.

Post subject: Re: References to Charlton Heston
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:49 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I'll get the ball rolling with this reference from the sitcom Married... With Children.

In the 10th episode of season 7, entitled Death of a Shoe Salesman, Al Bundy is on the couch watching a western movie. His two kis, Bud and Kelly, are pointing at all the actors and wondering if they are still alive. He replies:

Al Bundy: Dead. They're all dead. Everyone in every movie I like is dead. Only me and Charlton Heston are still alive.

I always crack up when he says that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:44 pm 
Astronaut

Nice idea. I also have some references... but they aren't coming to my mind just now. I 'll look for them and definitely post them.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:20 am 
Prince Judah

I am here to put two references, but I think they need some cultural background stated clearly. These are from two fictional works, (one a novel and the other a short story) written in Bengali or Bangla. The Bengalees are a community in West Bengal, a state in India, and also in the neighbouring country Bangladesh. Bengali is their mother-tongue.

In a story by Suchitra Bhattacharya, 'Bikel Furie Jay' ( this can be translated as 'Gone with the afternoon'), the middle-aged author is recounting her nostalgic memories of her early-teens-- that was in the early 1960s. Ben-Hur was release in Bengal about that time, and it had a huge impact on the middle-class Bengali-families, mostly because of the family-bond the movie celebrates(Family-bonds are great issues in the Indian-Bengalee culture), and also because the memory of the colonised India (which came to freedom in 1947) was still in their mind, they could relate well to the condition of the Israelites under the Romans. Ben-Hur created such a'moral' craze that the schools took it as their duty to take their childre to see the movie. No more background... now, the heroine of the said story recounts how she bunked her classes to watch another movie with her fried and that friend's boyfriend... but she told her parents that she'd go to watch 'Ben-Hur' from the school. A nice falsehod, but thanks to the great Chuck... as the author looks back on her girlhood. I'll come up with another... time short...

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:08 pm 
Prince Judah

Here! Behold, I am back, as I promised.

Now let's go to the second reference. It's a novel by Bani Basu, called 'Astam Garbha'(Which I'd translate as 'The eigthth progeny'). The localised socio-cultural context is the same as I have mentioned in the previous post: Bengal in the early '60s. The novel shows how the children of a big joint family are growing with the time passing along. A chapter shows some cousins talking about the new movies they have watched, and the latest books they have read. One young girl regrets that she has not yet seen 'Ben-Hur' which came to the town weeks ago. I am trying to put their conversation in my own translation.

--" Oh, the summer-vacation is passing on, and I haven't yet seen 'Ben-Hur'. I was so pleased to watch Charlton Heston as Moses,three years ago, now he is 'Ben-Hur' , yet I'm sitting here without watching."
(An elderly and mature cousin, says in a patronising tone) "Go watch it. It's even grater---such a large scale, what a big range! And Jesus Christ is a character here, you imagine? Of course you can see his back only."
--"Well dada(a fond term for an elder brother or cousin in a Bengalee household), I've heard that Stephen Boyd is playing Messala, is he better than Rameses?
--"Er... I can't tell..."
(another cousin, as far as I remember, she is a girl, retorts promptly) "Oh nothing can compare Yul Bryner's eyes, how sharp! The best as a villain."

So, I have tried to translate it as good as I could, but the original essence is obviously missing. I'd only request you to note these iconic roles played by Chuck swayed the adolescent imagination, across national and cultural boundaries.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:06 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Two great references that I have a hard time imagining coming to surface here on the forum if it weren't or you.

Thanks a lot for sharing :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:19 pm 
Prince Judah

I know I am an odd person, DT. People at my workplace call me eccentric and preternatural. But here you guys like me! That's great! God bless you.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:56 am 
Astronaut

So, you're an Indian, Judah! What a pleasant surprise... Good Grace, why I am the same!!! In fact I suspected that... from the way you write, your phrases... which others may not recognise, but I could guess. But I was not sure. You know, I had an uncanny resolution that I won't introduce myself until this fellow does, what right he has got to so much privacy? Well, that's pretty childish, let's forget it, Now I'll do that . God, what will the fellow-members think--- that we Indians can speak a lot but are so introvert about our identity! BTW, your references are 'great', Thorn is apt.

I was so taken aback by the discovery then that I forgot to put the reference I have collected. Blame to you, secretive man! :lol:

Afgan-American writer Khaled Hosseini's novel, The Kite Runner tells of childhood friends separated in Kabul under the Taliban rule. There is a reference to Charton Heston and his El Cid, to show as a contrast to the present political situation, how the Cid acted liberally and tried to integrate friendly Islams and Spanish Christians.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:38 pm 
Prince Judah

Indeed so! I am greatly surprised, too, and moved. I extend my heartiest embrace to you. But isn't my 'secrecy' powerful enough to make you forget what you had to say?... Forgive me for joking about this, for your response really shows your genuine passion and concern.

I have also read Hosseini's novel, but a long time ago. I have forgot about it. Good reference, anyhow.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:30 am 
Prince Judah

In a recent play called 'Daisy'(2010) written by a very promising young playwright, projects a struggling Anglo-Indian family. They represent a mixed culture. They speak English with a somewhat Americanised accent, and they are also comfortable with native tongues. They sing Tagore-songs in a Westernised rhythm, and they mingle it with Christmas carols. They watch 'The Ten Commandments' as a part of their Easter-celebration. I am sorry, but I won't be able to make the reference(I am coming to that)clear without some background, again.

In this Anglo-Indian family, 'Daisy' is a young girl, very sensitive and talented, but suffering terribly from 'Autism',, mental abjection and nervous disorder. Her father is a frustrated artist-***-musician, whose art has become a 'lost cause'-- under the pressure of maintaining his family, with this sick daughter and a lovable but long-frustrated wife. In the course of the play, a philanthropic teacher, Nathaniel, gets involved with this family, and he tries to help Daisy to overcome her trauma...it is a long process. Towards the end of the play, the girl shows some promise of recovering, but the teacher falls prey to Alzheimer's. His voice is heard, he is making an announcement to his friends:

" My brain is fading away... forgive me if I start forgetting your familiar faces, or in case your dear names slip from my lips.... I have been a fighter, but this is a battle some day I must put an end to. God bless you all--- everyone."

Do I need to quote here Chuck's own announcement? That would be too painful, I think.

Another significant symbol that permeates the entire play, is a painting began by Frederick,Daisy's father. He started to paint this 'mystic' work as a gift to his newly-married wife, Liza. The painting shows Joseph and Mary or 'Moses' and 'Sephorah', but the faces bear much resemblance to Fred's and Liza's own countenances. In course of a struggling life, and the death of their first child, and the diseased agony of their second one(Daisy)... Fred abandoned the picture. At the end of the play, as Daisy begins to recover slowly, she takes up her father's castaway paintbrush and completes the picture. I am fortunate to know the playwright personally, and she asked me to paint it for her play. While painting this, I had to keep sevral things in mind-- the painting should give an impression of Moses as a shepherd but it should also look like the actor who was to play Fred, the same to do with 'Sephora'/Liza. Besides I ws to make it evident that the ultimate product is by two hands, one older and more mature, time-tempered with even colouring(done by the father), the other immature, not perfect or too proportionate(portions done by the girl) but showing young promise and an overall rejuvenating impulse. I don't know how far I have been successful in doing that, it should be here for you to judge.

I know this Man!

Last edited by itsjudah24 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next