Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: References to Charlton Heston
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:16 pm 
Prince Judah

Policemen beating hippies? What were the hippies doing... I mean, were they engaged in some corrupt activity comparable to the work of the Soylent company?

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:38 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

No, grandpa is just... old, he was old when the hippie movement started and probably thought they should cut their hair and get a job. In his mind it was a nice last image before he died, seeing hippies getting beaten up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:16 am 
Cheating Bastard

I noticed a couple terrific references to Charlton Heston and Planet of the Apes in an episode of The X-Files. Season three episode 12 entitled War of the Coprophages.

For some context, Agent Mulder and his partner Agent Scully have stumbled onto the subject of Mulder's obsession with investigating the extraterrestrial and paranormal.

Scully: Yeah, well. Don't look too hard. You might not like what you find.

Mulder: Isn't that what Dr. Zaius said to Charlton Heston at the end of Planet of the Apes?

Scully: And look what happened.

The next allusion to Planet of the Apes takes place at the end of the episode:
Spoiler:
It's strongly suggested in the episode that a strain of cockroaches found in a small town are actually alien artificially intelligent robots. A scientist named Ivanov interested in artificial intelligence, bug-like robots and their potential applications in space exploration asks Mulder if he can examine one of the bugs. Bambi is a researcher for the Department of Agriculture also interested in insects. The following exchange takes place:

Mulder: I've already had a similar sample analyzed. It's nothing but common metals. What do you hope to find from it?

Bambi: His destiny.

Ivanov: Isn't that what Dr. Zaius said to Zira at the end of the Planet of the Apes?

Bambi: It's one of my favorite movies.

Ivanov: Mine too. I love science fiction.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:25 am 
Prince Judah

That's interesting, but the second reference is actually to the movie rather than the man. Good, anyway.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:43 am 
Cheating Bastard

itsjudah24 wrote:
That's interesting, but the second reference is actually to the movie rather than the man. Good, anyway.

The man is remembered by his body of film, I think a reference within reason to one of his movies is a reference to him. I couldn't have left out the second reference as it's pretty much a second half to the first reference, and I would have considered it a good Charlton Heston reference even if in the first one he'd said George Taylor instead of Charlton Heston. The only place I'd really draw the line when it comes to what should be considered a reference to Charlton Heston through one of his films is a generic Soylent Green such and such is people type reference that gets used a joke at some point just about everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:27 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Nice one, better side! I really need to watch some X-Files, it's been over a decade since I watched that show!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:08 pm 
Prince Judah

A book titled Sites of Exchange: European Crossroads and Faultlines edited by Maurizio Ascari, Adriana Corrado offers a reference to Chuck and his discovery of the half-buried Statue of Liberty. The specific essay in which the reference occurs is "Egypt in England and America: The Cultural Memorials of Religion, Royalty and Revolution" by Edward Chaney. The author seeks to draw a traditional recapitulation of memorial architecture since the ancient civilisations, referring to the King Ozymandias' memorial, Edward Gibbon's description of the Roman Capitol and "looking ahead, of Charlton Heston discovering the 'half-sunk' (Egyptian inspired) Statue of Liberty at the end of The Planet of the Apes,.... "(p. 48)

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:08 pm 
Prince Judah

Is here anybody who loves to read Asterix comics? Well, in the second book of the Asterix series, ' Asterix and the Golden Sickle', you may find an interesting, though indirect reference to Chuck. When Asterix and Obelix reach Lutetia, they found it a big and peopled city, with congested roads. A charioteer was driving at high speed across the crowded road, and a passer-by retorted, "What do you think you are, Ben-Hur?" (the page is given in image-format ) Now this is an anachronism, forthe Asterix stories are set in a time before Christ was born, and Ben-Hur is an exact contemporary of Christ. However, Goscinni's comics got serialised in 1960, just about the time Ben-Hur got awarded with so many OSCARS. Goscinny was sure to watch the film and got impressed, otherwise he would not have incorporated such a reference in his comics.

Attachments:
asterix.png
asterix.png [ 2.08 MiB | Viewed 1039 times ]

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:16 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

:lol: Awesome. Loved Asterix as a kid, both reading them and watching the movies.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:47 pm 
Prince Judah

The IMDb page on MADAGASKAR shows a reference to Chuck's famous lines in the POTA. Here is the sequence:

After Melman accidentally burns down the wooden Statue of Liberty we see Alex the Lion kneeling in front of it paraphrasing the famous Charlton Heston scene from the end of Planet of the Apes. Alex says "You maniacs, you burned it up. Darn you! Darn you all to heck!

By the way, has anyone posted it before?

I know this Man!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next