Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: References to Charlton Heston
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:54 pm 
Prince Judah

This thread seems to have been forgotten. Let me revive it two additions: Chuck-references in the Fallout game from http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_c ... references.

1. When the Vault Dweller is trying to blackmail Iguana Bob, one of the dialogue options is to say "Prime Choice Select is made of people!!!! It's made of people!!!". This is a reference to Charlton Heston's famous line from the film "Soylent Green".

2. The line "I can't believe those bastards finally did it. Damn them all to hell." in Captain Maxson's Diary is strikingly similar to Charlton Heston's famous outcry ("We finally really did it... You maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!") from the final scene of the Planet of the Apes.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:08 pm 
Prince Judah

And here is something more serious. Several books have been published... not mere fictions or film-reviews, but scholarly theses on Film studies, popular culture and Science fiction, which uses references to Chuck's seminal works on these fields, on screen. Here are some leading titles.

1. Planet of the Apes and Philosophy: Great Apes Think Alike (Popular Culture and Philosophy) Paperback
by John Huss

What makes humans different from other animals, what humans are entitled to do to other species, whether time travel is possible, what limits should be placed on science and technology, the morality and practicality of genetic engineering—these are just some of the philosophical problems raised by Planet of the Apes.
Planet of the Apes and Philosophy looks at all the deeper issues involved in the Planet of the Apes stories. It covers the entire franchise, from Pierre Boulle’s 1963 novel Monkey Planet to the successful 2012 reboot Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The chapters reflect diverse points of view, philosophical, religious, and scientific.
The ethical relations of humans with animals are explored in several chapters, with entertaining and incisive observations on animal intelligence, animal rights, and human-animal interaction. Genetic engineering is changing humans, animals, and plants, raising new questions about the morality of such interventions. The scientific recognition that humans and chimps share 99 percent of their genes makes a future in which non-human animals acquire greater importance a distinct possibility.

About the author: John Huss is Assistant Professor of Philosophy at the University of Akron in Ohio and Adjunct Assistant Professor at the Center for Genetic Research Ethics and law at Case Western Reserve University. He is co-writer, with Loch Phillipps and Lee Skaife, of the cult classic film, Use Your Head.

Product Details

Series: Popular Culture and Philosophy (Book 74)
Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Open Court (May 28, 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0812698223
ISBN-13: 978-0812698220
Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.8 x 8.9 inches
Shipping Weight: 1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

Little time now... I'll be with more.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:40 am 
Prince Judah

I was thumbing through a back issue of Movieline magazine, from May, 2000, and began reading an interview with Ridley Scott about his then-latest film, Gladiator, when lo and behold, Scott suddenly brings up Heston and Ben-Hur - not to mention some other Heston films. Here is a scan of the pertinent portion of the interview; read the right-hand column, at the top:

I don't have the magazine any longer - but I made a point of scanning that page.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:52 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Nice to know he has a lot of respect for Chuck. Seems like his sci-fi trilogy has a lot of fans, as those are often referenced when his work is being discussed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:27 pm 
Prince Judah

Finally found a little something to update this thread: I dug out a few old back issues of Variety, the Hollywood newspaper; in the issue dated May 13, 1981, I noticed this short news article on page 4:
Image The Full Article, continued on back pages:

ImageImageImage

It's not very exciting and rather dry, but it is interesting that it mentions how Heston's job for Reagan would involve using the private sector, as opposed to the government, often the rallying cry in the on-going war of words between liberals and conservatives.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:07 am 
Prince Judah

Here's a short interview with Lee Majors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMUVJwQOggQ

He mentions the film he did with Heston, Will Penny, and offers an opinion on Heston's work in it;
you have to wait for it - it's around the middle of the 5-minute interview.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:48 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I probably haven't seen Lee Major in anything since the 80's, so I didn't recognize him at first. I enjoyed his bried comments on Will Penny and Chuck's work in it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:54 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Just watched an episode of The Simpsons from 2005 (season 17) where grandpa wants to commit suicide. Guess which Heston movie they reference?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:25 am 
El Cid

Please put me out of my misery and tell me, Thorn!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:48 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

:lol: Soylent Green, complete with the death bed and the choice to watch whatever he wants on a huge screen. Grandpa wanted to see policemen beating hippies :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next