Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:08 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Recasting the Avengers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:52 am 
Astronaut

The Avengers were brought to us in 1963. If CBM’s were as popular then as they are now then the Avengers, with out question, would be presented to us on the silver screen. 1970 was the Golden Age of action stars and I will present to you the toughest cast ever. Keep in mind that, although these actors may appear older as did everyone from this era (check out some old family photos for proof), they were the appropriate ages in ’70 for a group of hardened heroes. I 've found a fansite that casts such heroes. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=22813
Now, let's have a look whom they have cast as avengers--

AVENGERS

Steve McQueen as Captain America
ImageImage

Captain America was reintroduced during the Silver Age of comics when he was revived from suspended animation by the superhero team the Avengers in The Avengers #4 (March 1964). Since then, Captain America has often led the team, as well as starring in his own series.
McQueen was nicknamed "The King of Cool. His persona made him one of the top box-office draws of the 1960s and 1970s. McQueen received an Academy Award nomination for his role in The Sand Pebbles. His other popular films include The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, The Thomas Crown Affair, Bullitt, The Getaway, Papillon, and The Towering Inferno. In 1974, he became the highest-paid movie star in the world.

Now guess who is cast as Thor? Yeeees.!! :lol: See the resemblance.
ImageImage

Roy Sheider as Giant-Man

Pym debuted in a seven-page solo cover story titled "The Man in the Ant Hill" (about a character who tests shrinking technology on himself) in the science fiction/fantasy anthology Tales to Astonish #27 (Jan. 1962). Pym was revived eight issues later as "Ant-Man", a costumed superhero who starred in the 13-page, three-chapter story "Return of the Ant-Man/An Army of Ants/The Ant-Man’s Revenge" in Tales to Astonish #35 (Sept. 1962). In September 1963, Lee and Kirby created the superhero title Avengers, and Ant-Man was established in issue #1 as a founding member of the team.
Scheider was an American actor. He was best known for his role as police chief Martin Brody in Jaws, as choreographer and film director Joe Gideon in All That Jazz, detective Buddy Russo in The French Connection and his role as Captain Nathan Bridger in science fiction television series SeaQuest DSV.

ImageImage

Faye Dunaway as Enchantress
Amora became one of the more powerful magic-wielders in Asgard, with her magical arsenal focused on (but not limited to) charming and mind-controlling people. Her by-now well-renowned beauty did not hinder in this. In her first appearance, she attempted to eliminate Thor's love interest in order to have the thunder god for herself. From her first appearance, she was assisted by a powerful minion — Skurge, the Executioner. The Executioner loved the Enchantress, but she merely kept stringing him along with her feminine wiles, using him as her muscle.
In 1967 she gained the leading female role in Bonnie and Clyde opposite Warren Beatty, which earned her an Oscar nomination. She also starred in 1968 with Steve McQueen in the caper film The Thomas Crown Affair. She worked with such leading men as Dustin Hoffman, Charlton Heston, Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Tommy Lee Jones, Jack Nicholson, and Robert Duvall.
ImageImage

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

Post subject: Re: Recasting the Avengers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:36 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chuck as Thor? I could see that. He would be great playing a Nordic Mythology God such as Thor.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:48 pm 
Prince Judah

I am not a big fan of the Avengers- comics, I know very little about them. But I agree that Chuck would look nice as the Norse thunder-god, Thor. And I also appreciate the casting of Fay Dunaway as a comics-stip Enchantrress figure-- she has that uncanny and mysterious sort of charm in her face and features.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:10 am 
Prince Judah

I had the made-up poster below about a year before this thread was started but forgot it for some reason;
this isn't mine; I don't recall from what site I got it; it imagines what an Avengers film would be like in the late fifties, I think. The only quibble I have with it is that Rod Taylor was not yet a star then, so I would place it around 1961, imagining that Rod starred in this instead of the silly Colossus and the Amazon Queen film he did. The problem with that, of course, is that the Avengers comic book didn't begin until 1963 - so now we have to move it up to 1964 or so. Also, I am unfamiliar with actor George Wallace, but I think he was starring in films in the fifties...

EDIT: here's the accompanying trailer, which actually refers to an even earlier year, 1952: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fCTokuOU_E

Last edited by Chrysagon on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:21 pm 
Prince Judah

The poster is nice, but no Chuck here? If not Thor, any other role?

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:14 am 
Prince Judah

itsjudah24 wrote:
The poster is nice, but no Chuck here? If not Thor, any other role?

Yeah, no Chuck, which may be why I didn't post it a couple of years ago. But, I came across the photo a few days ago stored in my computer files and couldn't resist plugging it in here, especially after starting a thread on Rod Taylor in that other forum on other actors.

Here's another one that imagines an Avengers film in the late seventies (circa 1979). As some members may know, a few Marvel super-heroes made it to TV back then and this imagines them all together in one film. One exception is Brigitte Nielsen as the She-Hulk, who might have posed for some pics in the eighties but never actually portrayed the super-heroine. The other one is Nick Fury, who was played by David Hasselhoff in a TV film in the early nineties. If there really was such an Avengers film in the late seventies, then that's the role Chuck might have played - Nick Fury is just left of center below; I can sort of see Chuck Heston with an eye-patch standing there if I squint... also, recall, Chuck played an older version of such a character in True Lies (1994).

______ Image

EDIT: here's the accompanying trailer which stitches all these 1970s versions of the super-heroes into one supposed movie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0jBF912xYY - note that Nick Fury has a cameo, but by yet another actor, Alex Cord.

NOTE: The "BRONZE AGE" refers to an era of comic books, those published in the seventies. Some people regard the BRONZE AGE as having occurred from 1970 to 1983.

Last edited by Chrysagon on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:23 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Yeah, Chuck in True Lies mode would have been a great Nick Fury.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:09 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
Yeah, Chuck in True Lies mode would have been a great Nick Fury.

Yes, if he did play Nick Fury in the late seventies, that would have been around the time he starred in Gray Lady Down (78) or maybe a year after. So, just place an eye-patch on him and... presto! you have...

CHARLTON HESTON _ as _ NICK FURY, Agent of SHIELD (1979) :uzi:

ImageImage
The SMALL DRAWING on the RIGHT Gives an idea of how The FURY Character was DRAWN in The COMIC BOOKS of The Late SIXTIES to Early SEVENTIES

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:45 am 
Astronaut

Agreed. He will do very well as Nick Furry. Can't we make him a bit younger than 'Gray Lady Down'?

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:43 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I think Nick Fury is supposed to be a little older than the rest of the Avengers.