Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Reactions to the ending of Planet of the Apes?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:26 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I think today's audience are used to twist endings much more than audiences back in the 60's were. I honestly don't know if everyone today would be sitting throughout the movie convinced they were on Earth though, except those smart-asses who keep insisting that they must be, since they're speaking English! There are people like that, IMDb has plenty of 'em.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Detective Thorn wrote:
I honestly don't know if everyone today would be sitting throughout the movie convinced they were on Earth though, except those smart-asses who keep insisting that they must be, since they're speaking English! There are people like that, IMDb has plenty of 'em.

Ha Ha -- I know what you mean! I hate that!

Oh sure -- they speak English -- but I mean, when did Earth have talking APES, gorillas on horseback, "thunder and lightning but no rain", and "that strange luminosity - yet there is no moon"....?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:31 pm 
Prince Judah

MOVIE FANFARE ran a poll a few years ago on the best twist ending in movies and they restated it earlier today - http://www.moviefanfare.com/movie-poll- ... _term=Poll

The site offered 10 famous movies & twist endings as options to vote for. Planet of the Apes did well in the voting but didn't make the top of the list due to The Sixth Sense. Here's how the voting stands now:

The Sixth Sense (27%, 1,115 Votes)
    Planet of the Apes (1968) (17%, 700 Votes)
    Witness for the Prosecution (13%, 517 Votes)
    The Usual Suspects (11%, 467 Votes)
    Psycho (1960) (10%, 390 Votes)
    Murder on the Orient Express (5%, 206 Votes)
    No Way Out (4%, 177 Votes)
    Diabolique (4%, 177 Votes)
    Body Heat (4%, 168 Votes)
    Fight Club (5%, 157 Votes)

Total Voters: 4,074

Guess which film I voted for? :ddape:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:46 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

The Sixth Sense beating the twist in Planet of the Apes?! When was this poll created, in 1999 after the people came out of the theater having watched The Sixth Sense? :lol:

Glad it came in second though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:55 am 
Astronaut

Chrysagon wrote:

Guess which film I voted for? :ddape:

I need no 'Sixth Sense' to guess that, Knight. I can see the smiley with my bare eyes which fall among the common five sense-organs only! ;)

In my opinion, PSYCHO should come after the POTA, in the third position.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:47 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
The Sixth Sense beating the twist in Planet of the Apes?! When was this poll created, in 1999 after the people came out of the theater having watched The Sixth Sense? :lol: Glad it came in second though.
The poll is dated April 28, 2010.
As I mentioned, the site reinserted the poll again so that new people can look at it and vote, so the votes are increasing daily; right now, the total is up to 4288 and Planet of the Apes has 761 votes - a big increase. However, I doubt that it will catch The Sixth Sense or that the overall order will change.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:51 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Ah, I see. Yeah, 400 votes behind is a tough one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:47 am 
Cheating Bastard

Being 4 years old when I saw it at the drive-in, my parents had to explain the ending to me. However I do remember their shock and surprise when the twist was revealed. I had a much better grasp of the irony and horror of that ending a few years later when we saw the double feature of Planet/Beneath. That was one of the few times I remember the theatre showing the older movie first and then the newer movie later. If they hadn't done it that way though, it wouldn't have made any sense! :-? :ddape:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:39 pm 
Cheating Bastard

We definitely were not naïve in 1968...the twist ending is just so well known now (even just a few months after the film opened) that it is iconic....and factor in the Cold War fears...still holds up in a world where the "bastards" might be just about anyone with a nuke in their hands....

Very much like Jack Pierce's makeup for Boris Karloff in "Frankenstein"...everyone has seen it now, but when he first appeared on the screen in 1931 people ran out of the theaters....