Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:17 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: RANKS of HESTON Characters - PHOTO VERSION
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:01 am 
Prince Judah

At Long Last, after numerous requests (well, actually just one, from James Byrne), here is the Pictures Version of the Heston Character Ranks thread which was installed in General Discussion a few months ago. Mr. Byrne was instrumental in supplying information to the old version and offering encouragement for this one. Thanks also to member Tizzy for contributing a couple of stills. The result is somewhat of a photographic history - both of Heston's career and of the World History which he ended up portraying on the screen, via the many historical figures and a few fictional ones set in historic times. I have tried to present all this in a historical context, such as also posting pertinent years of the historical events depicted, where applicable. Also, whenever possible, I tried to use photos/stills which have not been previously used in these forums, to give it all a "new" look, so to speak. One thing I learned - there's never a shortage of Heston stills to be found (with one exception or so - you'll see below). Happy Reading and Viewing. ImageImageImage

Last edited by Chrysagon on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: RANKS of HESTON Characters - PHOTO VERSION
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:31 am 
Prince Judah

LIST OF HESTON ROLES BY RANK - LOWEST TO HIGHEST: (PHOTO VERSION)

17. CORPORAL ----- lowest rank -- as Casey Cole, promoted to Sgt. during the course of the film >
Lucy Gallant (1955) ImageImage

16. SERGEANT: (this is in WWII) Lucy Gallant (1955) Image
_____ Image Image
"THAT'S RIGHT, I'm BAD..."
"..Yeah, I'm BAD" Image

Studio One "The Willow Cabin" (TV-1950) Image
---------------------------------------------------------------- as Sgt. Michael Knowle, killed in WWII
16a. Quartermaster: Treasure Island (TV-1990) Image
------------------------------------ :ljsilver: -- as Long John Silver - equivalent of a Sergeant on a seafaring vessel
this character was a pirate or outlaw version of a Sgt.> Image :ljsilver:
- this story took place back in the mid-18th century

15. DETECTIVE=======================================================================================

Detective: as police detectives Vargas and Thorn >
Touch of Evil (1958) (Police) ImageImage
____________and Soylent Green (1973) (Police) Image :soylent: year 2022
___________ ImageImage
----------------------- Thorn, Vargas - detectives decades apart, in more ways than one...
Honorable Mention: as himself, playing a police detective > Image
----------------------------------------------------------------- episode of Friends "The One with Joey's Dirty Day" (TV-1998)
Crucifer of Blood (TV-1991) Image Image 
------------------------------------- (non-Police) - as the famous Sherlock Holmes... :sherlock: - supposedly in year 1887

14. LIEUTENANT====================================================================================

Lieutenant: The Far Horizons (1955) Image years 1804-1806
ImageImage
___________ with Fred MacMurray as Lewis & Heston as Clark, ranked as Lt. during the famous expeditions
Climax "Bailout at 43,000 Feet" (TV-1955) Image as Lt.Peterson
(this is not a photo from the actual episode, but is from the same time frame, the year 1955)

13. CAPTAIN ===============================================================================================
Arrowhead (1953) (Scouts) ImageImage
__________________________ :cowboy1: as infamous Ed Bannon and then as Colt Saunders in Three Violent People (1957)
__________________________________________________ (this is just post-Civil War, Confederate Army rank)
The Last Hard Men (1976) (Rangers) Image as Sam Burgade, 1909
Two-Minute Warning (1977) (Police) Image as Capt. Pete Holly

___________ Skyjacked (1972)(Airline Pilot) __________ Airport 1975 (1974)(Airline Pilot)
Image Image
-------- as Capt. Hank O'Hara (with a pipe) ------------------ and big Al Murdock
_ Crash Landing: The Rescue of Flight 232 (TV-1992)(Pilot) Image
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- as real life Capt. Al Haynes

The Wreck of the Mary Deare (1959) Image
------------------------------------------------- as Salvage Tug Captain Sands, with Merchant Marine Captain Gary Cooper
_____ Gray Lady Down (1978) Image
------------------------------------------- as submarine commander Capt. Paul Blanchard

My Father Rua Alguem 5555 (2003) (former rank) Image
Image Image
- the elderly Josef Mengele did attain the rank of Captain in the German army -  SS-Hauptsturmführer  - in 1943

___ The Pigeon That Took Rome (1962) Image
----- as Capt. Paul MacDougall, Heston was out of uniform - undercover - for most of the film, during WWII

__ Midway (1976) Image
-------------------------------- as Capt. Matt Garth, Heston was surrounded by higher-ranked officers - also during WWII

12. MAJOR=============================================================================================

______ The Private War of Major Benson (1955)
_______ Image

___ 55 Days at Peking (1963) Image as Major Matt Lewis, circa 1900
____ Major Dundee (1965) Image Civil War era, Union army

11. COLONEL==========================================================================================

____________ Bad For Each Other (1953) ________________________________ Playhouse 90 "Forbidden Area" (TV-1956)
ImageImage
-------------------- as Tom Owen, who becomes a doctor after military service, and as the eye-patched Col. Jesse Price

_______________ Planet of the Apes (1968)_____________ and Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
ImageImage
-- as Col. George Taylor - astronaut, fugitive, and, in the sequel, prisoner and planet-killer... :ddape:
_________ The Omega Man (1971) Image
---------------------------------------------- as Col. Robert Neville, also a scientist and survivalist :neville: in year 1977

10. GENERAL===========================================================================================

_____________ Julius Caesar (1950) and ____________________ Julius Caesar (1970)
ImageImage
- as a young Marc Antony, Roman General, and the same character, only looking 20 years older in the 1970 version
__________ ImageImage circa 44 BC

__________ Studio One "Macbeth" (TV-1951)Image
Image < a stage role
_______ The Buccaneer (1958) Image
--------------------------------------------- as American General Andrew Jackson, before he became President, War of 1812
___ Khartoum (1966) ImageImage
------------------------------ as British General Gordon, also Governor-General of region in the Sudan, in the 1870s

9. ADMIRAL=======================================================================================

Admiral:  Solar Crisis (1990) Image as Adm.***** Kelso

8. Football Commissioner: Any Given Sunday (1999)
__ Image

7. CIA Director (equivalent): True Lies (1994) Image
____ as Spencer Trilby, alias old Nick Fury ;) , head of S.H.I.E.L.D., er, Omega Sector

6. WARLORD=======================================================================================

Warlord (Supreme Commander): The War Lord (1965) Image 11th Century
(General of all the Forces): El Cid (1961) ImageImage
- Chrysagon and Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar were, besides commanders/overlords, old-styled knights, subject to battle wounds :elcid:

Gengis Khan (1992) a.k.a. Genghis Khan:The Story of a Lifetime (2010)
--- as Togrul, Mongol Warlord, pictured above with Richard Tyson as Genghis Khan, 13th Century

2nd to the RULER=================================================================================================
5. Earl: Elizabeth the Queen (TV-1968) as Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex
>>>>>>>> Lived in years 1565 - 1601; an Earl is a member of the nobility in Britain

5a. Cardinal: _____ The Three Musketeers (1973)__ and The Four Musketeers (1974)
Richelieu 1585-1642 Image
as Chief Minister to the King of France, he was thought to be the true power behind the throne.... :richelieu:

5b. President of a Church: Avenging Angel (TV-1995) as Brigham Young 1801-1877 <> also Governor
--- head of the Mormons, founder of Salt Lake City and 1st Governor of Utah (then a territory) later in life

5c. Advocate General of Admiralty: Studio One "A Bolt of Lightning" (TV-1951)
as James Otis, 1725 - 1783 > ImageImage

5d: High Chancellor: A Man For All Seasons (TV-1988)
as Sir Thomas More > Image
-------------- born 1478; Lord Chancellor to King Henry VIII from 1529-1532

5e. Chief Judge Outer Limits "Final Appeal" (TV-2000) Image
--- as Chief Justice Haden Wainright on the Supreme Court of an alternate/future Earth, year 2076

5f. future ape equivalent: Planet of the Apes remake (2001)
ImageImage
as Zaius, a high-ranking administrator/arbitrator in the ape order of a future, alien society, though bedridden at this point in the film

4. PRESIDENT========================================================================================

___ The President's Lady (1953) as President Andrew Jackson, 1767-1845
__ Image
___ Hallmark Hall of Fame "The Patriots" (TV-1963) as Thomas Jefferson (no picture)

3. PRINCE===========================================================================================

Prince: The Ten Commandments (1956) ___ Ben-Hur (1959)______________________ Ben-Hur (video-2003-voice only)
ImageImageImage
----- as Moses, Prince of Egypt ---------------- as Judah Ben-Hur, AD 26-29 ----------------------- and the animated Ben-Hur

3a. Triumvir: Antony and Cleopatra (1972) (The 2nd Triumvirate, 43 BC)
> as Marc Antony one more time, now ruling a third of the Roman Empire, until his swift demise...

=========================================================================================

2. KING: Crossed Swords (1977) Image a.k.a.The Prince and the Pauper
-------------------------------------------- as King Henry VIII, in his last days, year 1547

========================================================================================

1. GOD: The Ten Commandments (1956-voice only) Image
________ Almost an Angel (1990)
Image Image
_____ AND THE LORD SAID, LET THERE BE LIGHT...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------THY WILL BE DONE.

Last edited by Chrysagon on Sun May 10, 2015 1:35 am, edited 17 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:02 pm 
El Cid

Chrysagon

You have excelled yourself mate!

This is the best thing I have seen on The Charlton Heston Forum. Thank you for taking the time to do it, the fact that you have added some unseen images of Heston makes it very special - also that I haven't seen anything like this done before, concerning Heston's "positions of responsibility" roles on the net. It must have been a lot of hard work and you have my admiration for such a splendid layout. The only minor error is this-

Chrysagon wrote:
"Bailout at 43,000 Feet"[/b] (TV-1956) Image as Lt.Peterson
(this may not be a photo from the actual episode, but is from about the same time frame)

This is a publicity still for THE PRESIDENT'S LADY, Chrysagon. Photos of BAILOUT AT 43,000 FEET are extremely rare, so maybe you could swap the above still from TPL for a studio shot of Heston in 1955.

By the way, here is a great shot of a uniformed Heston in LUCY GALLANT

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/lucy ... erett.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:21 am 
Prince Judah

James Byrne wrote:
Chrysagon
You have excelled yourself mate! This is the best thing I have seen on The Charlton Heston Forum. Thank you for taking the time to do it, the fact that you have added some unseen images of Heston makes it very special - also that I haven't seen anything like this done before, concerning Heston's "positions of responsibility" roles on the net. It must have been a lot of hard work and you have my admiration for such a splendid layout.

Thanks, James, and you're welcome.
It did involve quite a bit of work but it's also rewarding - I'm fairly pleased with the result, though with this kind of post, there always seems to be something not quite finished, or a better photo to be placed in or something that needs fine-tuning. A case in point - that photo of Heston used for "Bailout at 43,000 feet"...
James Byrne wrote:
Chrysagon wrote:
"Bailout at 43,000 Feet"[/b] (TV-1956) Image as Lt.Peterson
(this may not be a photo from the actual episode, but is from about the same time frame)

This is a publicity still for THE PRESIDENT'S LADY, Chrysagon. Photos of BAILOUT AT 43,000 FEET are extremely rare, so maybe you could swap the above still from TPL for a studio shot of Heston in 1955.

I tried to make it clear that this was not a photo from the actual TV episode, because even though it was even marked as from that episode on at least one site, I found out quickly that this was not the case. Though, my information was that it was actually a still of Heston from Bad For Each Other. Now you're telling me that it's from The President's Lady. Sheesh. Anyway, my mistake was that I thought it was such a nice photo of Heston from about the same time, that I just let it go and left it in there; but, as you suggest, it's probably better to use a generic still from the same year, rather than a still from a known film, so I'll follow your advice and make the slight changes, along with a couple of other things while I'm at it.

James Byrne wrote:
By the way, here is a great shot of a uniformed Heston in LUCY GALLANT
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/lucy ... erett.html
Thanks - that's the other thing with such posts - I noted a couple of nice photos of Heston from his films soon after I finished posting here the other day, including that one. So, there are always other possibles as far as photo placement and it never seems to end. I agree, though, that this particular one is somewhat special, a keeper, as it were :D - so you should see some 'upgrades' to the post soon...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:40 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

You've outdone yourself once again, Chrysagon! Wonderful, wonderful job. I'm saving it on my computer if anything were to happen to the forum in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:26 pm 
El Cid

Detective Thorn wrote:
You've outdone yourself once again, Chrysagon! Wonderful, wonderful job. I'm saving it on my computer if anything were to happen to the forum in the future.

I hope you aren't going to finish this forum Thorn, that would be terrible!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:55 pm 
Prince Judah

James Byrne wrote:
Detective Thorn wrote:
...wonderful job. I'm saving it on my computer if anything were to happen to the forum in the future.

Sometimes, it may not be our choice. I've had bad experience with this recently. I was a member of a sci-fi board for several years which used an old, outdated version (2.0) and the founder/originator was steadfast in his intent to stay on that version despite warnings that it needed to upgrade to version 3.0. Many of the members there agreed with the founder because they were so used to it and didn't want to change in style. There was plenty of opportunity to upgrade, but the founder just refused. I was a little wary of all this but it wasn't a board I had started myself and it wasn't up to me. I had several lengthy posts there, including a couple that were give-and-take debates with other members - one-of-a-kind posts which I didn't think to save. Well, as of a few months ago, those posts are gone forever; the domain expired and everything there disappeared.

The founder actually restarted the board with the help of a tech guy, using the same format but not relying on a 'free board' domain, but the magic for me was gone; all the history was gone - I saw little point to it and don't participate on the new board. It looks the same but it's just not the same. Also, I'm sure you are aware of Stage vu, the video site which was almost as popular as youtube? Stage vu and all its videos just disappeared a couple of days ago; the domain expired. It makes me wonder about how ephemeral and transitory everything on the internet is... one day it's there, seemingly always to be there... the next day, poof! - gone like the wind... :-?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:56 pm 
Prince Judah

It is a brilliant work, Prince ( or War Lord) ! Really, the European history revealed by one man's portrayal of characters of rank! Now can we think of extending this to Chuck's stage-works? How about creating a visual presentation of his portrayal of ranks on stage? No pressure, mate, but you may think of it at leisure.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:22 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Detective Thorn wrote:

There's absolutely no way I'd ever delete this forum myself, rest assured. I've experienced "losses" the way Chrysagon describes them though, they always hurt if you've put a lot of hard work contributing to them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:54 pm 
Astronaut

I have been late to visit this... so accept my belated congrats for the work, Chrysagon.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!