Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:54 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Rank Heston's westerns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:09 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

How would you rank the westerns Heston made in his career? Rank them beginning with the best and work your way down to the one you like the least.

To help you remember, these are the westerns Heston made:

The Savage
Pony Express
Arrowhead
The Far Horizons
Three Violent People
The Big Country
Major Dundee
Will Penny
The Last Hard Men
The Mountain Men
Tombstone

Post subject: Re: Rank Heston's westerns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:06 pm 
El Cid

THE BIG COUNTRY
WILL PENNY
MAJOR DUNDEE
THE SAVAGE
ARROWHEAD
THE MOUNTAIN MEN
THREE VIOLENT PEOPLE
TOMBSTONE
PONY EXPRESS
THE FAR HORIZONS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:14 pm 
Marabunta

The only movies I've seen are The Big Country, Arrowhead, and Major Dundee (my favorite Heston Western). Still have to watch Will Penny from start to finish.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:05 pm 
Prince Judah

1. Will Penny - Heston just nailed this one; the height of his talent
2. Tombstone - small role for Heston, but a favorite of mine
3. Major Dundee - Peckinpah, watered down, but still...
4. The Big Country - big is right
5. The Savage - one of the 1st Heston films I watched
6. The Last Hard Men - Heston vs. Coburn, yeah!
7. Arrowhead - Heston vs. Palance, yeah!
8. The Mountain Men - Heston vs. civilization, yah!
9. Pony Express
10. The Far Horizons / Three Violent People

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:00 pm 
Michelangelo

I do not include 'The Savage'and 'Pony Express' in my list because
I haven't seen them.

1. Will Penny
2. Major Dundee
3. The Far Horizons
4. Arrowhead
5. The Big Country
6. Three Violent People
7. The Mountain Men
8. The Last Hard Men
10. Tombstone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:10 am 
Prince Judah

I dug out a Special Collector's Edition magazine put out a few years ago by the editors of Wild West magazine (which I do not buy or am familiar with - I just bought this special because it happened to catch my eye). They listed their top 100 Westerns of all time...
ImageImage

Number #1 was High Noon (1950), followed by such classics as The Ox-Bow Incident, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Ride the High Country, Rio Bravo and The Searchers.

Such lists and the particular order can be rather meaningless as it's all such a subjective process, but it can be interesting to see what made it and why.

Four of Heston's films made the list; that's a pretty good record. They were:

9. Tombstone (1993)
    29. Major Dundee (1965)
    64. The Big Country (1958)
    76. Will Penny (1968)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:17 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Very interesting read, I'd love to get me a copy of that magazine since I'm a big fan of westerns! You're right, four westerns of Chuck's being on the list is pretty damn good. I don't dare ask how many John Wayne and Clint Eastwood movies are listed, as I'm sure they would have several more. Not to mention director John Ford.

As for the actual rankings, I have a hard time understanding how Tombstone could be ahead of movies like The Big Country and Will Penny. Pretty shocking that Major Dundee ranked so high on that list too, considering it's one of Peckinpah's least remembered efforts and was pretty criticized until the new cut was released some years ago. I reckon the fact that Peckinpah directed it had something to do with the high placing on the list.

Did they type a few words on each of the movies listed, or were they just listed with no comment on why they're on the list?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:40 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
..four westerns of Chuck's being on the list is pretty damn good. I don't dare ask how many John Wayne and Clint Eastwood movies are listed, as I'm sure they would have several more. Not to mention director John Ford.

As for the actual rankings, I have a hard time understanding how Tombstone could be ahead of movies like The Big Country and Will Penny. Pretty shocking that Major Dundee ranked so high on that list too, considering it's one of Peckinpah's least remembered efforts and was pretty criticized until the new cut was released some years ago. I reckon the fact that Peckinpah directed it had something to do with the high placing on the list.

Did they type a few words on each of the movies listed, or were they just listed with no comment on why they're on the list?

There is almost a page typed out for each film - that's the entire magazine, 95 pages covering the 100 films. The one thing I don't understand is the order of the films throughout the mag; the first couple pages are a simple list of the 100 in order and which page each is on; then there's an intro written by a popular culture writer named Gene Santoro. Then each of the films are covered in detail, but I don't get why or how this order was decided; it seems very arbitrary:

The detailed overviews begin with #1 High Noon; but the next one is #57 Hondo; then #47 Quigley Down Under; #21 3:10 to Yuma remake; #10 Red River - do you see any pattern here, any rhyme or reason? I sure don't. The mag does end with #100 The Man From Laramie, but in-between #1 and #100 it's like they just picked titles out of a hat as far as the order. Why not just list 'em 1 to 100 from front to back (or backwards) or alphabetical?

Anyway, I'm actually a fan of Tombstone; I think it doesn't measure up to the older films in the eyes of some fans because it was such a recent western. It's on page 50, even though it's #9 (again, I don't get it :-? ). Most of the write-ups lay out the plot of the film in the first half of the write-up and then analyze why it's one of the best westerns. For Tombstone, in the analysis portion, it's written:
Quote:
Unlike many Earp films, Tombstone avoids fundamental disagreements with facts still hotly disputed. The direction is competent, the technical aspects are well executed and the supporting cast is capable. Kilmer steals the show with an Oscar-worthy performance, dominating every scene in which he appears. But Russell's Wyatt holds Tombstone together with his underplayed determination to create a new life for himself and his family, even as he is recaptured by his past.

There also some sidebars written around the article which refer to the politicking in the film, something which probably raises it above many films in the view of many. For example, one of these labels the Earps as the Republicans in this film while the unruly, disorganized Cowboys are the Democrats - LOL. It does make sense in a strange way...

I'll type out some of what was said on Chuck's other western films, though it would probably be better to do that in the threads for those films.
btw, Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch is #14 and I already mentioned Ride the High Country above; it's way up at #4. So, Major Dundee is regarded as a lesser Peckinpah in that respect, though The Ballad of Cable Hogue is even lower at #31 and (this is why I said the orders of such lists can be meaningless) Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is way down at #61; why..? Dunno at this point, I'll check the write-up.

Last edited by Chrysagon on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:59 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
The detailed overviews begin with #1 High Noon; but the next one is #57 Hondo; then #47 Quigley Down Under; #21 3:10 to Yuma remake; #10 Red River - do you see any pattern here, any rhyme or reason? I sure don't. The mag does end with #100 The Man From Laramie, but in-between #1 and #100 it's like they just picked titles out of a hat as far as the order. Why not just list 'em 1 to 100 from front to back (or backwards) or alphabetical?

That is a very weird way of doing it, I think they should have started with #100 and simply gone down from there until they reached #1.

Chrysagon wrote:
I'll type out some of what was said on Chuck's other western films, though it would probably be better to do that in the threads for those films.

That would be deeply appreciated. I think I'll scan Ebay in search for this magazine ASAP.